Is Wanderlei Silva the best light heavyweight there is??

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Is Wanderlei Silva the best light heavyweight there is??
skinnyb
8/31/07 1:09:33AM
I know that Wandy was ko'd by hendo in his last fight and ko'd by cro cop the fight before but i think now that wandy is in the ufc he has nothing else to worry about and hes training with randy couture now so thats even better and i think that wandy will have that belt around his waist by the end of 2008. Think about it wandy has some of the best striking in all of mma decent submissions and good ground n pound that is the making of a ufc champ right there.

Let me know wut u guys think.

WAR WANDERLEI!!!!!!!!!!!!
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Cladrix
8/31/07 1:19:19AM
I think so..... Look at the people hes fought and beat. Sakuraba, Rampage, he beat hendo the first time they fought, Mezgar, Arona Etc. And a man who has the balls to step up and fight against Heavyweights like CroCop, Hunt and Fujita has my respects. And he beat Fujita!!!!!

So to answer your question..... Yes he is the top LHW
postman
8/31/07 1:29:24AM
I think Shogun has passed him by. If it plays out that Shogun wins the title he may never hold the belt agian unless they go back on the whole not fighting one another.
cmill21
8/31/07 1:36:19AM
Shogun could very well be the best, but he hasn't had the longevity that wand has had and the number of fights wand has had is rediculous. That man fought all the time.
postman
8/31/07 2:17:41AM
I give wand much respect he has fought everyone he could and has been on top so long but I think the student may have passed the student. If we could get a chick to split them up and hate one another we could see one of the best fights ever.
The_Grim_Reaper
8/31/07 9:13:43AM
i think hes a top LHW but i wouldn't go as far to say he's the best, how could you when Hendo jus k'od him? yes he best Hendo the first time but by split decsion, have you seen Wandy after that fight he looks like he was hit by a bus, i think right now the number 1 LHW will have to be decided between Hendo, and Shogun, i do give Wandy credit for fighting all the time he took Hunt on a 2 days notice 2 DAYS!! he's a top warrior but hes not the best
SpiderSilva
8/31/07 11:24:33AM
he could be soon the guy is bad ass but their is so many top guys at 205 who knows who the best is time will tell
loonytnt
8/31/07 5:26:29PM
he is a great fighter but, if he is not the champ your not the best, you cant be theres no way
cowcatcher
8/31/07 5:38:20PM
he probably has the best credentials, is he the best now, i dunno, shogun looks like hes ready to fill those shoes. i dont see any way wandys legacy could be tarnished at this point though, he was so great for so long and BEAT UP just about everyone thrown in front of him. hes a bonafide legend and is still only 31.
SicJits
8/31/07 6:08:57PM
I think Wandy is near the top, but his teammate, shogun is just a bit better
mkiv9secsupra
8/31/07 6:13:00PM

Posted by SicJits

I think Wandy is near the top, but his teammate, shogun is just a bit better

imo i think Shogun is more well rounded, obviously, but i would pick wanderlei if by some freak occurence by joe silva they ended up against each other. I just think Wanderlei has a little quicker and more powerful hands.....slightly less technical but i think Wnaderlei is the better striker.
mkiv9secsupra
8/31/07 6:16:09PM

Posted by loonytnt

he is a great fighter but, if he is not the champ your not the best, you cant be theres no way

so if rashad evans beat rampage because rampage tripped and broke his arm that would make rashad the best even tho he could never beat a top ten fighter?

henderson by far isnt the best. he got a title shot undersingly. Put him up against more top competiton in lhvy i bet he goes down in rankings.......middleweight is another story tho.
cowcatcher
8/31/07 6:20:32PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by loonytnt

so if rashad evans beat rampage because rampage tripped and broke his arm that would make rashad the best even tho he could never beat a top ten fighter?

henderson by far isnt the best. he got a title shot undersingly. Put him up against more top competiton in lhvy i bet he goes down in rankings.......middleweight is another story tho.

i think as far as rankings go the champ is #1 but in terms of who is the best thats not always true(this is one of those cases where it isnt), maybe the wording loony used was a little off, but for rankings i agree with him.
sakurabaforever
8/31/07 6:25:01PM
I would say of all time...probably.

IVC champ...the guy fears nothing.
Stepping up to HW on numerous occasions - unquestionable warrior spirit
Dominating champion with an incredible record

I pick a healthy and rested Wandy against Dan anyday.

And Shogun might be better fighter skill by skill, but Wandy is too powerful for him.

There really aren't a lot of guys out there that can take the Axe Murderer. After he destroys Liddell, Rampage (again), and Dan he will be one of the greatest of all time. If not...he's still tops.

True warrior.

And Loony, champ does not mean you are the best, it just means you had an opportunity to prove you were better then the current champ
DJDark41
8/31/07 7:09:42PM
Useless thread, Wanderlei is past his prime, there are a ton of people who will pass him on the Top 10 LHW list in the near future. Quit making posts just to get your posts up, because that is what it seems like your doing.
mkiv9secsupra
8/31/07 7:37:24PM

Posted by DJDark41

Wanderlei is past his prime

every post youve made is null and void now with this completely inaccurate and rediculous statement....
DJDark41
8/31/07 7:41:10PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by DJDark41

every post youve made is null and void now with this completely inaccurate and rediculous statement....

Thats my opinion, if you disagree with it then too bad, I think he's past his prime. He might beat Chuck Liddell, but if he gets past Chuck, he's going nowhere.
skinnyb
8/31/07 7:46:44PM
Wandy will destroy any of ur fav light heavyweight mma fighters
mkiv9secsupra
8/31/07 7:48:59PM

Posted by DJDark41

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by DJDark41

Thats my opinion, if you disagree with it then too bad, I think he's past his prime. He might beat Chuck Liddell, but if he gets past Chuck, he's going nowhere.

thats not an opinion...physically his body is in the best time of his life. early to mid 30's are the best years of 99.9% of fighters careers....
cmill21
8/31/07 8:23:30PM

Posted by loonytnt

So your saying Page is? Because Wand killed him twice lol.
DJDark41
8/31/07 8:26:11PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by loonytnt

So your saying Page is? Because Wand killed him twice lol.

Same applies to a guy like Matt Serra. Just because he's the champ doesn't mean he's the best. I'm sure in a re-match, GSP would smash him, and Matt Hughes is probably gonna beat him down too.
cmill21
8/31/07 9:14:25PM
^^^ If hughes doesn't win I will be very very surprised. I do agree the champ isn't always the best, look at all the new LHW's coming in there will be people who say Wand, and alot who say shogun. Obviously people argue about the HW's, people just don't remember that there are more then the UFC fighters. Is wand the best, maybe maybe not, is rampage the best? Not according to his fights with wand and shogun. Also it wasn't that long ago when people were saying "rampage doesn't impress me" right after his fight with eastman, now he beat chuck handily and there are tons of former chuck fans who are now rampage fans coming out of the woodwork.
MikeBillotto
2/19/08 2:46:08PM
it depends on what org. in the ufc right now its Rampage

in pride i believe it was either henderson or shogun.