Wanderlei to drop to middleweight in 2009

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Wanderlei to drop to middleweight in 2009
Next Page »
Wolfenstein
1/1/09 2:18:57PM
Sources close to the aggressive Brazilian EXCLUSIVELY revealed to MMABay that he will be moving to 185 pounds after spending the last couple of years fighting bigger men and coming up short.

Often in his Pride days, Wanderlei would come in under the allotted weight, as he did last weekend at UFC 92, finding the weight cutting very easy to cope with.

link
postman
1/1/09 2:23:48PM
20 lbs? He was pretty Lean It will be intersting.
ChokeUout
1/1/09 2:36:03PM
I'll believe it when I see it from a more reliable source. No offence to the poster of this news, but I find MMABAY to be a little erratic with the accuracy of their reports. It's more like a crap shoot with them.

For argument sake, i'll assume it's true, because it does make sense. I think it would be a great move for him, and it would give a huge player to the 205 division.

Plus tell me this: Who WOULDN'T wanna see "Silva v. SIlva"? (If that fight were to headline an event, no other name for that event should even be considered, haha)
cmill21
1/1/09 2:51:52PM
He will make the weight easily, he's always been like 200-205.
Twenty20Dollars
1/1/09 2:52:45PM
I'd be scared if i was at 185
hodge
1/1/09 2:59:57PM
this is a great move Silva vs Henderson 2 sweet
postman
1/1/09 3:02:03PM

Posted by hodge

this is a great move Silva vs Henderson 2 sweet

or do you mean 3
Bowen50
1/1/09 3:07:11PM
this is an awesome decision by Wanderlei. i think he'll be one of the bigger guys at 185 and the possible match-ups are just awesome. best of luck to Wanderlei at 185 i'll sure as hell be rooting for him every fight.

WAR WANDERLEI
tuvok500
1/1/09 3:17:44PM
His chin is not going to be better.
He got KO too many time , his head can simply no longer take those hard shots.

I don't think the MW division will help this problem since i am sure Cote hit as had as Rampage and not to mention Anderson Silva.

Silva is also way too slow to beat a guy like Bisping and he is not going to TKO Maia before been submitted.

Anyways, i still like his entrance music but i will never pick him again, unless he face a very slow guys with no chin, witch is pretty rare in the UFC , and i don't think Dana will feed him with a pure can since Wandy is not a low cost fighters.

cmill21
1/1/09 3:27:38PM

Posted by tuvok500

I don't think the MW division will help this problem since i am sure Cote hit as had as Rampage and not to mention Anderson Silva.

Silva is also way too slow to beat a guy like Bisping and he is not going to TKO Maia before been submitted.

Anyways, i still like his entrance music but i will never pick him again, unless he face a very slow guys with no chin, witch is pretty rare in the UFC , and i don't think Dana will feed him with a pure can since Wandy is not a low cost fighters.

Rampage has 13 T/KO's, Cote has 6 one of which is over anyone of note. I know the UFC wants you to believe he has huge power but I just don't see it. Chuck would probably disagree with Wand not being able to take punches anymore, oh and he's one fight removed from destroying a top 10 LHW. Wand is slow? Huh? As for having to face a guy with no chin. What? Wand can definetly still hit, I believe it was Foreman who said "power is the last thing to go". Again awsome analysis by you.
tuvok500
1/1/09 3:31:53PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by tuvok500

Rampage has 13 T/KO's, Cote has 6 one of which is over anyone of note. I know the UFC wants you to believe he has huge power but I just don't see it. Chuck would probably disagree with Wand not being able to take punches anymore, oh and he's one fight removed from destroying a top 10 LHW. Wand is slow? Huh? As for having to face a guy with no chin. What? Wand can definetly still hit, I believe it was Foreman who said "power is the last thing to go". Again awsome analysis by you.

I recognize your legendary ignorance man !!

sparky
1/1/09 3:42:56PM
I will simply just say I would love to see Wanderlei at 185!!!
Naturaldisaster
1/1/09 4:13:32PM
sweet
EvenFlow
1/1/09 4:17:24PM

Posted by tuvok500

Yeah a legend in the sport only needs to fight slow guys with no chin

How can one even compare Bisbing to Wanderlei? What power does Bisbing have over Wand? lol notice Wand have gotten KO'd by guys with big power, this does not include Bisping or even Cote for that matter.

This has to be a "Lets egg on the Wand fans" type of post otherwise you just need to quit here.
jae_1833
1/1/09 4:34:17PM
I hope he does make the move, and I hope his first victim is Patrick Cote!
DosBox
1/1/09 4:36:42PM
Wanderlei might be in his stage where he is starting to look a little less battle tested and a bit more battle worn and I think a spot at 185 would be a good fit for him. I think the last couple of fights he has weighed in at about 203 or so, so I believe he could be able to make a healthy drop in weight.

As far as match ups go I am still unsure in which direction the UFC will have him go. Would he fight the loser of Henderson/Franklin at 185? IF Leites defeats Anderson would he see Silva vs. Silva? Or would we see him matched up against a hungry contender like a Marquardt or Okami?

I think the "big money" fights for him (and the UFC) would be in the LHW division, but for his career and a chance at a title shot, I would think that 185 would be his best bet.
Shoo
1/1/09 4:50:37PM
I would love to see this, but I will wait for more confirmation before I get too excited.

I would prefer that they give him a lesser fighter to ease him in to the division, then go to contenders from there.

Benefit being that it gives time for newer and casual audiences to buy into the hype behind Wanderlei, adding huge build up for a potential Silva vs Silva matchup, maybe late 2009 or early 2010.
mutosufan
1/1/09 5:37:24PM

Posted by tuvok500

WOW, one of the most uneducated posts I have wasted my time reading in quite a while.
tuvok500
1/1/09 6:06:53PM

Posted by mutosufan

Posted by tuvok500

WOW, one of the most uneducated posts I have wasted my time reading in quite a while.

Say the guy with 56% overall record...

I may be uneducated but i am not blind.

Silva got destroyed in 4 of his last 5 fights, 3 dead cold KO and one " i am a walking punching bag " beating , He beat Jardine with his power but never received a shot so good for him but it doesn't change the fact that he got KO too many time and it is only going to be harder and harder for him to take shots.

The MW division is not going to help him to overcome that problem since the only way to avoid it is to not fight anymore.
You may be the type of guy who would like to see Wandy get kill in the cage but i am not.

And about his speed, Wandy is not fast , if he was he would has never been KO so many time recently.
Speed and reflex are link in this sport and he lost both too.

I don't want to see another Ken Shamrock.

loller90278
1/1/09 7:08:31PM
im so glad tuvok is back !!
Bowen50
1/1/09 7:29:23PM

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by mutosufan

Posted by tuvok500

Silva got destroyed in 4 of his last 5 fights, 3 dead cold KO and one " i am a walking punching bag " beating , He beat Jardine with his power but never received a shot so good for him but it doesn't change the fact that he got KO too many time and it is only going to be harder and harder for him to take shots.

The MW division is not going to help him to overcome that problem since the only way to avoid it is to not fight anymore.
You may be the type of guy who would like to see Wandy get kill in the cage but i am not.

And about his speed, Wandy is not fast , if he was he would has never been KO so many time recently.

to even imply that Wanderlei will end up like Ken Shamrock is absolutely preposterous and in my opinion is an insult to Wanderlei's legacy. granted Wanderlei has lost 4 of his last 5 doesn't mean he is done. he got KO'd by Rampage, Henderson, and Cro Cop. 3 of the most powerful guys in MMA. Wanderlei at 185 creates nothing but exciting match-ups, many of which i think he'll dominate.
hodge
1/1/09 7:30:27PM

Posted by tuvok500

There is no way in hell cote can hit as hard as rampage dude are you cazy i wish i could deprop you man
tuvok500
1/1/09 7:43:10PM

Posted by Bowen50

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by mutosufan

Posted by tuvok500

to even imply that Wanderlei will end up like Ken Shamrock is absolutely preposterous and in my opinion is an insult to Wanderlei's legacy. granted Wanderlei has lost 4 of his last 5 doesn't mean he is done. he got KO'd by Rampage, Henderson, and Cro Cop. 3 of the most powerful guys in MMA. Wanderlei at 185 creates nothing but exciting match-ups, many of which i think he'll dominate.

It is not the point of excitement or not, Wandy's head is at a point of no return, no matter who KO you and what power they are known to have, he is closer to permanent damage than he was before those 3 KO and the fact that they came almost all 1 after the other is a clear indication the the damage has become.

Don't ask him if he want to fight, of course he want but i think someone in the athletic commission will ask the question about his safety.

tuvok500
1/1/09 7:46:00PM

Posted by hodge

Posted by tuvok500

There is no way in hell cote can hit as hard as rampage dude are you cazy i wish i could deprop you man

Would laugh so hard man if Cote was facing Wandy at 185 and put him to Sleep with 1 punch !! lol

MikeyG
1/1/09 8:03:07PM

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by hodge

Posted by tuvok500

Would laugh so hard man if Cote was facing Wandy at 185 and put him to Sleep with 1 punch !! lol

you troll too much
Sir_Karl
1/1/09 8:42:19PM
Wanderlei sure needs a change.
He hasn't fared too well in the Light Heavy division.
He might do better at 185, but there are some rough customers there too.
I don't see Wanderlei fighting a whole lot longer.
He might want to go back to Japan.
He could fight some masked wrestler or a Giant even.
Aether
1/1/09 10:48:53PM
There's a saying that goes something like "If you're always wondering why no one but you 'gets it' you're probably the one that doesn't get it." Tuvok you should probably consider that.
Pookie
1/1/09 11:17:21PM
Im starting to think the world is losing its mind, Wanderlei got Ko'd by a list of strikers that have more power per punch than anyone at 185 period. even Anderson Silva.

Wanderlei Silva wants to drop to 185, then good for him if thats what he wants to do with his career since hes a little light as it is, but i certainly dont think he needs to drop to 185, or that hes nearing the end of his career. He could still beat most of the LHW top ten division.

Just My opinion of course, but the Rampage he faced last night would have beaten wandy at any point in his career. Same with the cro-cop fight. The liddell fight was chuck at his best in years, and honestly wanderlei looked like he was sick in his fight against hendo, and hasnt looked that bad since.
tuvok500
1/2/09 12:19:18AM

Posted by Aether

There's a saying that goes something like "If you're always wondering why no one but you 'gets it' you're probably the one that doesn't get it." Tuvok you should probably consider that.

Man, i posted what i am probably sure that several doctor already told him, you can't get KO like that over and over again without serious damage and if i am the only one here who recognize that well too bad for you guys.

Same thing goes for Liddell at a lower level for the moment, hope he will not get KO like the last time at his next fight because i am sure someone will recommend him to stop fighting.

prozacnation1978
1/2/09 1:29:05AM
i think silva at 185 can be scary alot of fights there vs marquadt,bisping,cote, okami, leban
he could easily beat those guys
Pages: [1] 2