Wanderlei's chances against Cung

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Wanderlei's chances against Cung
Next Page »
ghandikush
9/22/11 1:56:21PM
Just to be sure, with Cung being seemingly superior in every facet except striking power are people giving Wanderlei much of a chance?

Cung is a good wrestler and technically very good standing, it seemed like a waste of a fight to me for Wanderlei's spent career.
Theoutlaw08
9/22/11 1:59:56PM
I think Wandy wins this one.......
FastKnockout
9/22/11 2:00:22PM
Wanderlei always has a chance to knock his opponent out, but other than that, I just don't see him matching well against Le's vast arsenal.
gartface
9/22/11 2:41:03PM
I say his chances are very slim. Like Fast said, you can't discount him completely because of his knockout power, but I think that Le will just batter the living crap out of him and put him to sleep. I'm thinking a big head kick.
ghandikush
9/22/11 2:58:21PM

Posted by gartface

I say his chances are very slim. Like Fast said, you can't discount him completely because of his knockout power, but I think that Le will just batter the living crap out of him and put him to sleep. I'm thinking a big head kick.

I dont know if Cung will knock Wanderlei out but I see pure domination at least. Since Cung isnt gonna be reliable to promote and keep fighting and Wanderlei should by all means be outmatched I just cant see how this is a good matchup.
40ouncetpkid
9/22/11 4:13:55PM
Wandy has a lot better chance then people think especially since Le does not hit hard at all, he just wears down with kicks which Wandy is damn good with kicks himself or atleast was, but don't think le can school him as easy as people think without Wandy knocking him out.
tcunningham
9/22/11 5:10:22PM
i hope cung lee isnt the one to retire wandy. i think cung is gonna win by UD which might save wandy's career but if he KO's wandy we will probably never see him in the octagon again. dana will probably say enough is enough. he can only get KO'd so many times before the ufc has to stop it for the safety of the fighter, I.E. chuck
DeadHead988
9/22/11 5:31:47PM
Wandy's chances= slim to none
BuffaloDave
9/22/11 5:42:36PM
Wand has a very good chance at winning this fight, as long as he doesn't start the fight swinging for the fences leaving his chin out there to be clipped like in the Leben fight. Hopefully he went back and watched his Bisping fight, because that was the best Wand we seen in a long time. Don't forget Le is more interested in his acting career than fighting, guy has fought once a year for the past 3 years, who knows how much time he actually trains and not just staying in shape.

Wand's best bet is to stay close to Le, don't give Le the distance to setup his kicks. Le's kicks are far more dangerous than his punches.

Cooler
9/22/11 7:55:45PM
Seeing as how Wanderlei is miles ahead of Cung in the mixed part of mixed martial arts I assume you expect Wandy to throw bombs, which is still a viable way to win since a guy like Frank Shamrock can hold his own. I am not impressed with Cung's heart or chin, we have no idea how he will react to his first attempt at getting out of a guillotine, he was protected in strikeforce and theyre already giving him a stylistic pleasing match, theres a reason he wanted no part of Jake Shields, thats why he vacated the title.

Wand wins by UD or clinch knees/punches because Cung doesnt have the clinch game Leben has.
shaneTpain
9/22/11 10:21:07PM

Posted by DeadHead988

Wandy's chances= slim to none

Poor_Franklin
9/22/11 10:29:45PM
i could never count out wanderlei against Cung Le.
KungFuMaster
9/23/11 2:35:04AM
Anything can happen in a fight but like I have said - this fight is tailored, trimmed and manicured specifically for Le because he is fighting in his home town.

To be fair to Wanderlei, I will state what he should do in this fight. Instead of stalking Le around the octagon, he needs to literally chase him down like Shogun chased Machida and force the fight. He needs to put Le in a do or die situation where Le is forced to attack. The more Wanderlei puts Le in these types of situations, the more chances Wanderlei will have to land knock out shots.

I just gave Wanderlei the blue print for defeating Le. If Wandy wins, I demand some royalties but something tells me this blue print will never get to him.
KungFuMaster
9/23/11 2:51:38AM

It is only at the precipice that legends are made.
Pookie
9/23/11 4:21:50AM
I dont think Cung's takedowns will be a factor, Nor do i think Wanderlei's BJJ will be a factor either.

Cung throws kicks really well, but is lacking with his hands. Wanderlei blocks kicks really well, his chin is suspect though, and he comes forward in beserker mode alot.

I don't like Cung's chin either though, and i feel both can put each other out in this fight. Cung's chance's of doing with his hands are less than Wanderlei's chances with his hands, and wanderlei defends kicks really well.

Ima pick Wanderlei.

prozacnation1978
9/23/11 3:42:36PM
Wandy knows his career is on the line
He will find a way to win!!!
Omega_8
9/23/11 4:45:16PM
I think he's got a better chance then people are giving him credit for. he beat bisping, a top guy, not that long ago. now of course since then he's been ko'd by Leben, but lets be honest, that punch would have knocked anyone out. im taking Wand via second round KO, if Scott Smith can do it then so can Wandy. plus, people often forget, probabaly because he rarely shows it, but Wand is a black belt in BJJ and has shown himself to be very capable on the ground when he's been put there.

Aether
9/23/11 5:05:02PM
pretty surprised that so many people think Cung is a lock in this fight. I think it can easily go either way.
ab521
9/24/11 2:51:16AM
scott smith knocked cung out so wanderlei has a chance. but i wouldnt put money on it
Webbie
9/25/11 5:54:01PM
I don't like saying it but I don't think Wanderlei stands any chance whatsoever against Cung. I think he'll lose in every aspect of the fight. I see Cung keeping distance and knocking Wand out early, probably first round. If Wand tries clinching with him I think it'll be a mistake.

Wand used to be one of my favorites but he's far past his prime and I hope if he does indeed lose to Cung that he calls it quits. He's had a hell of a career but his time is over.
BustedKnuckle
9/25/11 7:42:55PM
I was never really impressed with Cung Le. Wady is a tough tough fight for Cung. I am probaly leaning toward a Wandy UD
warglory
9/25/11 8:06:45PM
Wow, I cannot believe how much respect Cung is getting in this fight. Wanderlei is going to DESTROY Cung Le in this fight, and I mean rape choke KO kind of destruction, and I will lay down an avatar bet with one unlucky individual.

Cung is going to come in all flashy and arrogant, riding high on the seemingly insurmountable level of respect he gets, and is going to get blasted.

Cung, has never fought a quality striker by today's standards in his entire MMA career, INCLUDING Frank Shamrock. Wanderlei has fought no one but the best fighters in the world since entering the UFC, and more the better part of his PRIDE career. The experience factor is going to play a huge role in this fight.
mrsmiley
9/25/11 8:23:45PM

Posted by warglory

Wow, I cannot believe how much respect Cung is getting in this fight. Wanderlei is going to DESTROY Cung Le in this fight, and I mean rape choke KO kind of destruction, and I will lay down an avatar bet with one unlucky individual.

Cung is going to come in all flashy and arrogant, riding high on the seemingly insurmountable level of respect he gets, and is going to get blasted.

Cung, has never fought a quality striker by today's standards in his entire MMA career, INCLUDING Frank Shamrock. Wanderlei has fought no one but the best fighters in the world since entering the UFC, and more the better part of his PRIDE career. The experience factor is going to play a huge role in this fight.

Warglory, I love this post. So much enthusiasim!
warglory
9/25/11 8:33:17PM

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by warglory

Everyone's lack of confidence in Wandy is astounding! lol I was genuinely shocked to see all of these replies!
mrsmiley
9/25/11 9:34:09PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by warglory

Everyone's lack of confidence in Wandy is astounding! lol I was genuinely shocked to see all of these replies!

I can't count either guy out this fight.

I think their's a few things both will have to do to insure victory:

1. I've notice Le has a tendency to keep his guard down after throwing a big kick and at times it's such a big gap I almost scream. Chances are he does this in fear of a takedown counter. In fighting Wandy,this is going to be a very bad idea. Wandy will leap on the opening each and every time and chances are it's only going to take once. Le will have to tighten up his game and wait for his shots,and this is where the trouble lies for Le. Their's a chance he will catch Silva early but it's probably going to have to be very early.

2. Wandy needs to show patience. In the middle of a fire fight he tends to get carried away at times and he goes down in these moments of heat. He needs to insure Le doesn't get the proper distance needed (or perhaps bate him and allow that distance than wait to counter a fancy kick). I think Wanderlei can effectively keep the pressure in this fight and overwhelm Cung Le if he sticks with a solid gameplan.

My thoughts anway.
fonduktoe
9/26/11 12:54:09AM

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by warglory

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by warglory

I can't count either guy out this fight.

I think their's a few things both will have to do to insure victory:

1. I've notice Le has a tendency to keep his guard down after throwing a big kick and at times it's such a big gap I almost scream. Chances are he does this in fear of a takedown counter. In fighting Wandy,this is going to be a very bad idea. Wandy will leap on the opening each and every time and chances are it's only going to take once. Le will have to tighten up his game and wait for his shots,and this is where the trouble lies for Le. Their's a chance he will catch Silva early but it's probably going to have to be very early.

2. Wandy needs to show patience. In the middle of a fire fight he tends to get carried away at times and he goes down in these moments of heat. He needs to insure Le doesn't get the proper distance needed (or perhaps bate him and allow that distance than wait to counter a fancy kick). I think Wanderlei can effectively keep the pressure in this fight and overwhelm Cung Le if he sticks with a solid gameplan.

My thoughts anway.

wandy has shown patience in his last few fights
JKJBrannen
9/28/11 12:34:56AM
Cung going to whoop that ass, if he can stay outside and utilize his wrestling when Wandy tries his nasty clinch work... can't wait to see a couple them side kicks in HD.
prophecy033
9/28/11 1:56:27AM
Yeah, wanderlei is gonna have to keep his T-Rex arms up to avoid getting ko'd like he did against Cro-Cop
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
warglory
9/28/11 10:02:13AM
You're comparing Cung Le's power to CroCop's? When Cung can say he has KOd anyone noteworthy, maybe we can talk, but come on now...
warglory
9/28/11 10:03:39AM

Posted by JKJBrannen

Cung going to whoop that ass, if he can stay outside and utilize his wrestling when Wandy tries his nasty clinch work... can't wait to see a couple them side kicks in HD.

Who in the UFC do you know has ever been able to stay on the outside of Wand? This isn't a ring, it's a cage, making it far more difficult to CroCop someone.
Pages: [1] 2