Wanderlei calls out Belfort for rematch

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Wanderlei calls out Belfort for rematch
Next Page »
emfleek
2/11/11 1:46:59PM
When UFC came to Brazil for the first time, in 1998, Wanderlei Silva debuted on the event, but was defeated by Vitor Belfort. After that fight, Wanderlei reached the top of the world on Pride, but never got his rematch.

With Vitor’s loss to Anderson Silva, on UFC 126, “The Axe Murderer” proposed the challenge, on a phone talk with TATAME. “And now, where are you running to?”, asked Wanderlei. “I’d give him the number one (place in line to fight me) easily, I’m challenging him … I want him”.

LINK
Boo_Radley21
2/11/11 2:02:14PM
YES!
Chuteboxer
2/11/11 2:06:32PM
Wand needs to take care of Stann first. That should be priority # 1 on his list.
Twenty20Dollars
2/11/11 3:15:16PM
Somebody doesnt want to fight Stann.
gartface
2/11/11 4:19:44PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

My thoughts exactly.

What's with Wanderlei not wanting to fight Stann? I know he said he doesn't want to fight such a fan favorite, but that's such a crappy excuse in my book.

That fight would be instant fireworks and likely fight of the night. I just don't understand.
tallica62
2/11/11 4:44:41PM
me likey
FastKnockout
2/11/11 4:46:55PM
I don't think the rematch would end that differently. Belfort's quick boxing style is the kryptonite to someone like Wanderlei, who just charges forward and loops his punches. I love both guys, but I'd hate to see this fight happen at the moment. This is the type of rematch that needs to happen when both fighters are heading towards retirement, like a good-bye fight.
Taylor8766
2/11/11 5:21:48PM

Posted by gartface

My thoughts exactly.

What's with Wanderlei not wanting to fight Stann? I know he said he doesn't want to fight such a fan favorite, but that's such a crappy excuse in my book.

That fight would be instant fireworks and likely fight of the night. I just don't understand.

Guys hes going to destroy Stann, and then get a fight with Belfort more than likely.
pmoney
2/11/11 5:45:33PM
The only person Wanderlei has "destroyed" since returning to the UFC was Keith Jardine. He has had some good three round wars, but no destructions as of late. In fact, I think the destruction of his chin by Rampage came more recently.

Wanderlei is a BAMF for sure, but he is not in his prime. He is in the twilight of his career.
Twenty20Dollars
2/11/11 5:46:23PM
I have Stann beating Wandy, but who knows what is happening at this point.
chickmagnet
2/11/11 5:50:31PM
Forget the fight with stann, have him fight belfort
RearNakedJoke
2/11/11 6:24:56PM
win or lose i dont think the fight with Stann will prevent a fight with Belfort.
JJipp03
2/11/11 7:27:23PM
need to see Wandy dominate some1 first
BlueSkiesBurn
2/11/11 7:54:13PM
I wouldn't mind seeing this fight. Someone is going to catch something in the jaw and get dropped. Belfort included. I personally think that it could be very entertaining for the fans and, MIGHT I ADD, the UFC is returning to Brazil and this is the sort of fight that could help make it one of the greatest cards of all time.

13 years later, Vitor and Wandy square off once again for their loving fans in Brazil. I don't know about you, but I get behind stuff like that.
Boo_Radley21
2/11/11 8:59:33PM
Belfort should move up to 205 for a one match deal and hand Tito a rematch beating.
RhythmAndStyle
2/12/11 2:17:26AM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

13 years later, Vitor and Wandy square off once again for their loving fans in Brazil. I don't know about you, but I get behind stuff like that.

i feel ya man..it's a great story..it'll have a big hype behind it..n u KNOW the fight would be epic itself..imo, i don't think this match would make it outta 2nd round
sbulldavid
2/12/11 2:40:05AM
I could care less if they fight again, the two of them aren't made to put on a great and the outcome will either be swift or drawn out, I like Wandy and I like Belfort but I can't see it ending any different.
Cooler
2/12/11 3:23:37AM

Somebody doesnt want to fight Stann

Is this a joke? you're calling Wandys intergrity into question? First of all, he's been calling out Vitor for a rematch long before the Stann fight brosef. I find your comment slightly offensive coming from a fellow mma fan.

Posted by gartface

. My thoughts exactly.

Yeah, Wandy is afraid of a one dimensional boxer whos slower than him...

He just beat Bispings ass, a guy whos much better everywhere than Stann...

Stann has nothing but a slight punchers chance and the hype on him is getting out of hand.
gartface
2/12/11 12:03:36PM

Posted by Cooler

Is this a joke? you're calling Wandys intergrity into question? First of all, he's been calling out Vitor for a rematch long before the Stann fight brosef. I find your comment slightly offensive coming from a fellow mma fan.

Posted by gartface

. My thoughts exactly.

Stann has nothing but a slight punchers chance and the hype on him is getting out of hand.

Would you please go back and read that interview with Wanderlei. You know the one where he says he DOESN'T want to fight Stann.

Yeah Stann is awful. He just knocked out a guy whose only tko loss prior was to Anderson Silva. Such unwarranted hype.

Oh yeah, and by the way, this is the UFC. You don't make your own matches. There's a guy named Joe Silva who does this. It's his job. It's what he gets paid to do.
Cooler
2/12/11 1:20:10PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by Cooler

Posted by gartface

. My thoughts exactly.

Would you please go back and read that interview with Wanderlei. You know the one where he says he DOESN'T want to fight Stann.

Yeah Stann is awful. He just knocked out a guy whose only tko loss prior was to Anderson Silva. Such unwarranted hype.

Oh yeah, and by the way, this is the UFC. You don't make your own matches. There's a guy named Joe Silva who does this. It's his job. It's what he gets paid to do.

I said this to that 20 dollar guy in a different thread explaining that Wand doesnt want to fight no names who really dont stack up to him anyway. Wand is a real warrior who wants only tough fights. Wand doesnt want this to happen...

"Hey Wandy who was that guy with the flat top you just beat?"

Thats wandys nightmare, the fans thinking he wants to take easy fights, NOT losing. If either of you knew anything about Wands character than youd know he isnt trying to duck anyone.

Wtf does Wand have to gain by fighting this one dimensional guy when he can fight a big name? and if he loses its even worse because its basically to a fighter whos not very well known at all.

Joe Silva isnt a master matchmaker, he makes horrible matchups sometimes and this is a mismatch.
Cooler
2/12/11 1:27:54PM

Posted by gartface

1) Leben is the same fighter as Stann. whats the relevance here?

2) Leben isnt a complete fighter like Wanderlei, who is good everywhere.

3) This is MMA, not a striking match. If it was pure striking only then Stann might have a chance but this is MMA bro and as far as MMA is concerned, Stann will never beat a top guy because his all around game is incomplete.
prozacnation1978
2/12/11 2:37:04PM
Nice!!!
Gotta go with belfort
BlueSkiesBurn
2/12/11 5:35:53PM

Posted by Cooler

Posted by gartface

2) Leben isnt a complete fighter like Wanderlei, who is good everywhere.

3) This is MMA, not a striking match. If it was pure striking only then Stann might have a chance but this is MMA bro and as far as MMA is concerned, Stann will never beat a top guy because his all around game is incomplete.

Addressing your posts by the order you typed them.

1. Duh, nobody is "the same" fighter as another person, what's the relevance HERE?

2. Leben has 13 less fights than Wanderlei and has 2 MORE submission wins. They also have about the same amount of decisions. I'd say that Leben is well rounded.

3. I would argue that it's WAY too early in Stann's career to say he "will never beat a top guy." He's only got 13 professional fights. 70% of his wins have come by way of knockout. He's got 2 decisions and 1 submission. He submitted Massenzio who has some pretty solid grappling credentials compared to Stann's.

Like you said, this is MMA, not boxing, and on any given Saturday Night at 6pm PST/9pm EST anyone can lose. Maybe you should read my blog addition here on the playground. Just because Wanderlei is "superior" and "experienced" does not mean he cannot lose to someone as potent as Stann.

Boise St. was NEVER supposed to beat Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. Guess what? They won 43-42. I would argue that Boise St. is a way larger underdog than Stann should be. Given that Stann can strike and that's Wandy's primary weapon, Stann has some pretty good odds. Stann is a big middleweight. Wanderlei will have trouble getting him down. Given the amount of wars that Wanderlei has been in, his age, and the amount of times that he's been knocked out by someone with Stann's power, I think you're COMPLETELY underselling Stann's abilities.
Cooler
2/12/11 6:21:14PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

We both know thats not true, we could both find examples of fighters who are similar right down to the gameplanning, even their looks. Satoru Kitaoka and Joe Stevenson for example :D

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn
2. Leben has 13 less fights than Wanderlei and has 2 MORE submission wins. They also have about the same amount of decisions. I'd say that Leben is well rounded.

So the number of submission wins (4 in this case) equals well roundedness? cmon, if they were to grapple ADCC style you'd put your money on Leben over a black belt in BJJ over Christiano Marcello? its a sad day when Leben is called well rounded but..moving on..

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn
3. I would argue that it's WAY too early in Stann's career to say he "will never beat a top guy." He's only got 13 professional fights. 70% of his wins have come by way of knockout. He's got 2 decisions and 1 submission. He submitted Massenzio who has some pretty solid grappling credentials compared to Stann's.

Stann's been a pro for 5 years and did you see the Massenzio fight? he was dominating Stann everywhere, even standing. I find it funny when people say "oh well fighter-b submitted fighter-c therefore he's good on the ground" is Nick Thompson as good of a striker as Paul Daley even though he outstruck Paul Daley the whole fight? of corse not, neither of us believe that either :D
BlueSkiesBurn
2/12/11 6:46:22PM

Posted by Cooler

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

We both know thats not true, we could both find examples of fighters who are similar right down to the gameplanning, even their looks. Satoru Kitaoka and Joe Stevenson for example :D

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

So the number of submission wins (4 in this case) equals well roundedness? cmon, if they were to grapple ADCC style you'd put your money on Leben over a black belt in BJJ over Christiano Marcello? its a sad day when Leben is called well rounded but..moving on..

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Stann's been a pro for 5 years and did you see the Massenzio fight? he was dominating Stann everywhere, even standing. I find it funny when people say "oh well fighter-b submitted fighter-c therefore he's good on the ground" is Nick Thompson as good of a striker as Paul Daley even though he outstruck Paul Daley the whole fight? of corse not, neither of us believe that either :D

Your logic is completely flawed. First off, Wanderlei has four submission wins and Leben has 6.

Second off, what does Christiano Marcello have to do with anything? He's not even in the discussion. You keep bringing in other people to make your argument more solid. I'd take Werdum over any of the aforementioned fighters, too, but that has nothing to do with our argument. 13 less fights and two more submission wins is, "arguably," more well rounded.

You're also proving my point. Stann has only been a pro for 5 years. He's also rapidly improved. You're making a "factual" statement that he will never beat any top guys based off 5 years worth of work? How can you possibly know this? Do you have a crystal ball that allows you to look in to the future?

You're awfully dismissive of a fighter who has won 10 out of 13 professional fights. Let's not forget that Stann has faced MUCH worse than a fight in the UFC no matter who it is against. The man is ACTUALLY combat tested and received a Silver Star for his courage under heavy fire. You can't build that kind of courage and ability to think under heavy pressure by just being an MMA fighter.

Your posts are coming off as nuthuggerish toward Silva and dismissive, almost to the point of disrespectful, of other fighters and their abilities. If you like Silva, that's fine, but you need to realize that Wanderlei can be beaten, Stann could very easily do it. Silva would have an awfully hard time taking Stann down and isn't exactly the best on the ground himself.

Cooler
2/12/11 7:10:43PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn
Your logic is completely flawed. First off, Wanderlei has four submission wins and Leben has 6.

Ok so were clear, I'm right that there are similar fighters right down to fighting style? ok cool. And second, the number of submission wins is irrelevant when you get choked out in embarrassing fashion to guys who dont belong in the UFC, ala Jason MacDonald and Jake Rosholt. You wont see Wand tapping to those guys brosef.

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn
Second off, what does Christiano Marcello have to do with anything? He's not even in the discussion. You keep bringing in other people to make your argument more solid. I'd take Werdum over any of the aforementioned fighters, too, but that has nothing to do with our argument. 13 less fights and two more submission wins is, "arguably," more well rounded.

It was a typo, i meant to put "BJJ black belt UNDER Christiano Marcello, not over" simple mistake there bud, relax.

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

You're also proving my point. Stann has only been a pro for 5 years. He's also rapidly improved. You're making a "factual" statement that he will never beat any top guys based off 5 years worth of work? How can you possibly know this? Do you have a crystal ball that allows you to look in to the future?

Only? do you realize the average length of an MMA fighters career is less than that? cmon man i know you cant be serious with this ridiculous banter? right? I mean most prospects dont show those weaknesses like I mentioned and you dismissed. Submission defense, Striking defense, head movement, takedown defense, these are all things he has shown issues with and doesnt seem to be correcting said problems. Thats what im basing it on, not biased.

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn
You're awfully dismissive of a fighter who has won 10 out of 13 professional fights. Let's not forget that Stann has faced MUCH worse than a fight in the UFC no matter who it is against. The man is ACTUALLY combat tested and received a Silver Star for his courage under heavy fire. You can't build that kind of courage and ability to think under heavy pressure by just being an MMA fighter.

Not at all, is Stann a decent fighter? sure, but a top guy? no, the potential? i guess thats the grey area for some people. I think he has no real chance against anyone in the top 10 right now, and probably wont in the future because i havnt seen these leaps and bounds Stann has crossed according to you.. And I think we found your bias since you keep telling me I am...are you or were you in the military? family members? republican? why else would you mention Stanns background? talk about irrelevant...i'll take chute boxe wars over military wars in the cage thank you very much.

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn
Your posts are coming off as nuthuggerish toward Silva and dismissive, almost to the point of disrespectful, of other fighters and their abilities. If you like Silva, that's fine, but you need to realize that Wanderlei can be beaten, Stann could very easily do it. Silva would have an awfully hard time taking Stann down and isn't exactly the best on the ground himself.

Stann has minimal TDD at best, please actually watch the Massenzio fight dude, i noticed you decided not to talk about that fight but oh well. I apologize if i sound a certain way or you took it as disrespect. If this fight was still happening I'd be betting on Wand. But Santiago has shown he wont just stand and its a worse matcup for Stann, he will likely put Stann on his back and tap him out imo.
BlueSkiesBurn
2/12/11 7:30:16PM

Posted by Cooler

Ok so were clear, I'm right that there are similar fighters right down to fighting style? ok cool. And second, the number of submission wins is irrelevant when you get choked out in embarrassing fashion to guys who dont belong in the UFC, ala Jason MacDonald and Jake Rosholt. You wont see Wand tapping to those guys brosef.

It was a typo, i meant to put "BJJ black belt UNDER Christiano Marcello, not over" simple mistake there bud, relax.

Only? do you realize the average length of an MMA fighters career is less than that? cmon man i know you cant be serious with this ridiculous banter? right? I mean most prospects dont show those weaknesses like I mentioned and you dismissed. Submission defense, Striking defense, head movement, takedown defense, these are all things he has shown issues with and doesnt seem to be correcting said problems. Thats what im basing it on, not biased.

Not at all, is Stann a decent fighter? sure, but a top guy? no, the potential? i guess thats the grey area for some people. I think he has no real chance against anyone in the top 10 right now, and probably wont in the future because i havnt seen these leaps and bounds Stann has crossed according to you.. And I think we found your bias since you keep telling me I am...are you or were you in the military? family members? republican? why else would you mention Stanns background? talk about irrelevant...i'll take chute boxe wars over military wars in the cage thank you very much.

Stann has minimal TDD at best, please actually watch the Massenzio fight dude, i noticed you decided not to talk about that fight but oh well. I apologize if i sound a certain way or you took it as disrespect. If this fight was still happening I'd be betting on Wand. But Santiago has shown he wont just stand and its a worse matcup for Stann, he will likely put Stann on his back and tap him out imo.

Styles can be similar, but not "the same." Also, I don't know how many times I have point out that your logic is flawed. You're saying that Wandy doesn't get tapped out to those guys, you also don't see Wandy MAKING guys tap. Wandy's bottom game is pretty bad.

The average length of an NFL player is three years. What's your point? You're using pointless statistics to try and prove that Stann is somehow behind the curve. It's easy to use a statistic like that when there are thousands of MMA fighters and new ones joining every day. It skews the average. I guess you're not familiar with statistical analysis.

Also, there's no bias on my end toward the military. My personal politics are none of your business and, more importantly, not to be discussed on these threads, but I can tell you I am not republican. I am also not in the military, but I do have family members in the military, however that has ZERO to do with why I mentioned Stann's past.

I don't normally discuss stuff like this, but since you brought it up, I'll address it.

i'll take chute boxe wars over military wars in the cage thank you very much.

If you seriously believe that having to deal bullets, grenades, artillery shells, mortars, and IEDs in the middle of a battle while you're pinned down and trapped is absolutely useless in the cage, you're smoking some good stuff.

Stann was faced with basically the worst possible position a human being could find themselves in. Pinned and trapped in hostile territory, taking fire from all sides, WHILE in charge of the lives of his men. Not only was he able to keep them alive, but he was also able to get them out of a situation that I'm sure would have most people pissing themselves and thinking they are going to die.

I'll glad take a 20 minute beating from the entire Chute Boxe academy combined before I put myself in that situation.

If you don't seriously think that translates over to the cage then I am done with this conversation because you're clearly seeing everything through a Silva lens and are incapable of rational and logical conversation.

Stann may have "minimal TDD," but Wanderlei isn't exactly Brock Lesnar in the cage, either. You're so all over the place when you post. You have now brought in Santiago. I am not talking about Santiago. I am talking about IF Wanderlei vs. Stann had happened. You keep using other fighter's abilities and strengths to say that Stann couldn't beat Wanderlei when Wanderlei, himself, does not possess those strengths. Your entire argument has been one GIANT Red Herring Fallacy.
warglory
2/12/11 9:26:11PM

Posted by Cooler

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Jason MacDonald is an EXCEPTIONAL ground fighter who I think would own Wandy on the ground. Show me a fighter in the UFC who has put up a fight with Demian Maia on the ground for almost three entire rounds? Go watch that fight and tell me it would be embarrassing to lose to MacDonald by submission.
Cooler
2/12/11 9:27:17PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn
Styles can be similar, but not "the same." Also, I don't know how many times I have point out that your logic is flawed. You're saying that Wandy doesn't get tapped out to those guys, you also don't see Wandy MAKING guys tap. Wandy's bottom game is pretty bad.

So there arent fighters out there that are coincidently the same in almost every way? theres got to be around 15,000 pro mma or so fighters, youre saying there arent a few that are indentical? lol but seriously if you watch any of Wandys old fights you'd see he does have a bottom game, just not so much offensively, he would only use jiu jitsu offensively for sweeps. However defensively he's one of the best ever. Sorry dude no matter how much you talk up Leben and Stann it will always be Wand > Leben and Stann in the submission grappling department.

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn
The average length of an NFL player is three years. What's your point? You're using pointless statistics to try and prove that Stann is somehow behind the curve. It's easy to use a statistic like that when there are thousands of MMA fighters and new ones joining every day. It skews the average. I guess you're not familiar with statistical analysis.

Stann's been a pro too long for their to be any unfound potential imo, what exactly do you see in the guy? he just nearly got dominated by someone whos cut from zuffa and was taken down easily by Krystoff and tapped. Are you serious? its not behind the curve to have holes? if you think he doesnt have holes than why am i even talking to "fans" you.

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Also, there's no bias on my end toward the military. My personal politics are none of your business and, more importantly, not to be discussed on these threads, but I can tell you I am not republican. I am also not in the military, but I do have family members in the military, however that has ZERO to do with why I mentioned Stann's past.

No offense blue, but I knew it. I guess I do have that magic 8 ball huh?

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn
If you seriously believe that having to deal bullets, grenades, artillery shells, mortars, and IEDs in the middle of a battle while you're pinned down and trapped is absolutely useless in the cage, you're smoking some good stuff.

Stann was faced with basically the worst possible position a human being could find themselves in. Pinned and trapped in hostile territory, taking fire from all sides, WHILE in charge of the lives of his men. Not only was he able to keep them alive, but he was also able to get them out of a situation that I'm sure would have most people pissing themselves and thinking they are going to die.

I'll glad take a 20 minute beating from the entire Chute Boxe academy combined before I put myself in that situation.

If you don't seriously think that translates over to the cage then I am done with this conversation because you're clearly seeing everything through a Silva lens and are incapable of rational and logical conversation.

Wow, this is really off base and I never said the military isnt a good experience or any of that nonsense you wrote. What I was trying to convey to you that you failed to see is that the experience at chute boxe (and xtreme couture) is better for your mma skills than fighting for your country in the military.

I understand that its a hard thing to serve your country but.. get real dude. MMA camp > Military experience/Military fight camps when it comes to actually training for MMA fights. Its the reason why he was forced to leave the military to persue his career as a fighter, he had to train with a good camp to evolve not a bunch of leathernecks sparring.

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn
Stann may have "minimal TDD," but Wanderlei isn't exactly Brock Lesnar in the cage, either. You're so all over the place when you post. You have now brought in Santiago. I am not talking about Santiago. I am talking about IF Wanderlei vs. Stann had happened. You keep using other fighter's abilities and strengths to say that Stann couldn't beat Wanderlei when Wanderlei, himself, does not possess those strengths. Your entire argument has been one GIANT Red Herring Fallacy.

Whats with the snarky comments at the end lol I wanted to bring up Santiago so maybe you'd give your opinion on Santiago vs Stann when I brought it up, not to tirade on how you think i dont appreciate how the military helped Brian Stann stay cool under pressue, you act as if he has some huge advantage but realistically lots of people go through lots of turmoil in their life they may have worn on them like a real war. This was just a friendly discussion to me i was laughing and smiling man, you dont need to get dirty with me. I still like ya
warglory
2/12/11 9:33:57PM

Posted by Cooler

The average pro MMA has a career less than 5 years? Are you serious? It usually takes 5 years to develop the necessary skills just to become a champion. Anderson Silva didn't become UFC champ for 6 years, and GSP took almost 5 to acquire his first title. And BTW, Wandy has terrible boxing skills, yet I don't see anyone questioning his ability to KO people.

You think Wandy has anymore chance than Stann does in beating top 10 guys? The largest difference is that Wandy is likely not going to improve anymore as a fighter, but Stann does keep getting better as a fighter.

Pages: [1] 2