Wand calls out Forrest

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Wand calls out Forrest
Next Page »
cmill21
9/25/07 12:50:08AM
This is taken from Wanderlei's web site -

Wanderlei says he would like to fight with Forrest Griffin

Wanderlei Silva was an outstanding personality at UFC 76, taken place on September 22. Wanderlei was invited by Dana White to attend the event and challenge Chuck Lidell, in case the latter won. But it was a sad night for both Lidell and the Brazilian Shogun, who lost their fights.
What Wanderlei has to say about the event: “UFC took place in a very good gymnasium, very large; here these events have been growing continuously. This week I worked a lot on the event advertising making use of my popularity that is big here. Just to give an idea, we had an autograph session that gathered about 500 people, on a huge line. The warmth of my fans was very nice. I realize that everyone is anxious about my first fight, including myself. I’ve been training very hard, every day, with a lot of focus. My responsibility towards Brazilians has grown a lot due to the results of the last fights. This is also very motivating to me. It is important for the sport to bring joy to the fans and this becomes the fighters’ responsibility.
Lidell’s fight had a direct relationship with me because Dana White had said I would challenge him if he won. I was disappointed with the defeat because Lidell’s opponent is good, he has his merit but was not so qualified to defeat him. I believed Lidell was going to win and I was disappointed with the result. I hoped to perform against him in December and now I will have to wait for another name. It was a balanced, hard fight; I think Lidell should have prepared better in view of the importance of this combat.
As to Shogun, I didn’t manage to see him; I only watched the fight. I was very sad, both as a Brazilian and as a personal friend; I was cheering a lot for him. I was very frustrated with the defeat, it was unexpected. I thought it would be an easy fight for him. I hope he comes back, training hard and next time show his potential. MMA has greatly evolved and we should be tuned to such innovations, realizing that this sport is more and more specific and scientific. It does not take only a heart to win a fight any longer. Shogun has the talent and it all depends exclusively upon him. He will figure out what went wrong and will not make the same mistakes next time. Yesterday he was not the Shogun who I know. I hope he continues bringing joy to this fans including myself, for I am also his fan.
As to a name to face in December: “I’d like, in view of the last event and also as a vengeance for my friend, to fight with this Forrest Griffin. I guess it could be a good name for me.”

Source: From Sherdog forum by poster Mykill
ncordless
9/25/07 12:54:44AM

Posted by cmill21

This is taken from Wanderlei's web site -

Wanderlei says he would like to fight with Forrest Griffin

Wanderlei Silva was an outstanding personality at UFC 76, taken place on September 22. Wanderlei was invited by Dana White to attend the event and challenge Chuck Lidell, in case the latter won. But it was a sad night for both Lidell and the Brazilian Shogun, who lost their fights.
What Wanderlei has to say about the event: “UFC took place in a very good gymnasium, very large; here these events have been growing continuously. This week I worked a lot on the event advertising making use of my popularity that is big here. Just to give an idea, we had an autograph session that gathered about 500 people, on a huge line. The warmth of my fans was very nice. I realize that everyone is anxious about my first fight, including myself. I’ve been training very hard, every day, with a lot of focus. My responsibility towards Brazilians has grown a lot due to the results of the last fights. This is also very motivating to me. It is important for the sport to bring joy to the fans and this becomes the fighters’ responsibility.
Lidell’s fight had a direct relationship with me because Dana White had said I would challenge him if he won. I was disappointed with the defeat because Lidell’s opponent is good, he has his merit but was not so qualified to defeat him. I believed Lidell was going to win and I was disappointed with the result. I hoped to perform against him in December and now I will have to wait for another name. It was a balanced, hard fight; I think Lidell should have prepared better in view of the importance of this combat.
As to Shogun, I didn’t manage to see him; I only watched the fight. I was very sad, both as a Brazilian and as a personal friend; I was cheering a lot for him. I was very frustrated with the defeat, it was unexpected. I thought it would be an easy fight for him. I hope he comes back, training hard and next time show his potential. MMA has greatly evolved and we should be tuned to such innovations, realizing that this sport is more and more specific and scientific. It does not take only a heart to win a fight any longer. Shogun has the talent and it all depends exclusively upon him. He will figure out what went wrong and will not make the same mistakes next time. Yesterday he was not the Shogun who I know. I hope he continues bringing joy to this fans including myself, for I am also his fan.
As to a name to face in December: “I’d like, in view of the last event and also as a vengeance for my friend, to fight with this Forrest Griffin. I guess it could be a good name for me.”

Source: From Sherdog forum by poster Mykill

Wow I hope this is true. If Wandy is out looking for revenge, that will be a sight to see.

It also sounds like he is taking the transition to the US very seriously and understands the differences in the US fight game.

Props to you, and go Wandy!
hotrodttt
9/25/07 1:02:11AM
I think Forrest could take him
cmill21
9/25/07 1:35:40AM

Posted by hotrodttt

I think Forrest could take him

Could? Of course. If wand is as pissed off as he sounds, Forrest chin would be tested, because we all know he aint shooting in.
NatedawgThaM
9/25/07 2:44:30AM

Posted by cmill21

Could? Of course. If wand is as pissed off as he sounds, Forrest chin would be tested, because we all know he aint shooting in.

Posted by cmill21

I would give you props but my darn computer won't let me because I gotta "spread the love" to others but..

HELL YEAH!!!!! Wandy AIN'T shootin for nothing!!! I think Shogun would have won a close decision if he didn't shoot and/or use dhis Muay Thai because I didn't see ANY Muay Thai!! This would instantly be a classic brawl!!!

plus the funny thing is lol Wandy actually helped trained Forrest FOR the Shogun fight!!!

If the Forrest shows up that showed up at 76 & TUF finale not the boring one at 72 and the Wandy from Pride shows up and doesent choke an dis ultra aggressive as usual(I say this because every pride fighter has lost that aggression since coming to the UFC) this will be a WAR!!!
buckndro
9/25/07 5:30:19AM
i think will be one hell of a fight, if forrest can stick around he could pull it off he is good an stay in there running around kicking an trying to get him off guard stand up some an throw down, while not getting knocked out out his chin will be on line here again. Wandy sounds pumped might see oldschool him, but we shall see if wandy still has it or not chuck lost last two hollywood did say they "didn't have it anymore"
jgtribbett
9/25/07 7:19:54AM
yeah right... forrest is not taking wandy
Mastodon2
9/25/07 7:22:17AM
Wow, this has the potential to make Wanderlei into even more of a monster than he already is!

One thing Brazillians have is national pride, its almost unmatched, and now that Wanderlei feels that Brazil has been let down he will do his utmost to reclaim the glory. Furthermore, his friend has been beaten, and comradeship is an incredibly strong bond, he is probably a lot more angry than he sounds, and I expect the fight to look like Liddell / Jardine; two guys standing, going at it, not wasting their time shooting in for take downs or rolling around on the mat, this is gonna be a stand and slug war!

That said, if Griffin is taking a hammering, I'd expect him to try and get the takedown, hopefully he won't get it, I want to see a KO in this fight!
Chuteboxer
9/25/07 7:22:19AM
God willing, I hope this fight happens. If it makes up for the fact that liddell won't be fighting Wandy now, let's see this happen. I'd be more interested in this fight than anything else for Wandy right now.
EddieBowers
9/25/07 7:50:44AM
I don't care who he fights I just want to see Wandy in the cage. I am sick of waiting. Now if he does fight Forrest, then I will be going for Forrest.... I just like the guy, he always puts on a good show..... IMO.
DCRage
9/25/07 8:11:27AM
While this probably wouldn't be on the Liddell-Silva level, it's certainly intriguing now because of how Forrest fared against Shogun. Clearly Wandy wants revenge for seeing Forrest beat his former training partner and fellow Brazilian, which likely his his #1 motive here. That being said, I do wonder a little bit why he also didn't call out Jardine for likely ruining any chances of the big money fight with Liddell happening anytime soon, if at all.
TNunley
9/25/07 9:16:52AM
I don't think Wandy deserves Griffin. Griffin just had one hell of a performance and took apart who many thought was the best. To make Griffin fight Wandy is such a huge step backwards. Not that I doubt Wandy's ability... I just don't think Griffin should have to take a fight against anyone other than Jardine before he gets his shot at the title. Wandy also needs to have a fight or two in the UFC before he should get to fight a #1 or #2 belt contender.
scoozna
9/25/07 9:34:45AM
I agree with TN, while I'd like to see it, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to make Forrest fight Wandy when he just beat Shogun. Of course, it doesn't always have to make sense - there's that fans-wanna-see-it factor.

I'm still having a mental breakdown with all these Pride fighters: I thought CC would win (twice), I thought Shogun would win, I thought Henderson would win, and I think Wandy would win...but do I dare ?
cmill21
9/25/07 9:43:19AM

Posted by TNunley

I don't think Wandy deserves Griffin. Griffin just had one hell of a performance and took apart who many thought was the best. To make Griffin fight Wandy is such a huge step backwards. Not that I doubt Wandy's ability... I just don't think Griffin should have to take a fight against anyone other than Jardine before he gets his shot at the title. Wandy also needs to have a fight or two in the UFC before he should get to fight a #1 or #2 belt contender.

So your saying a guy who dominated the sport for 7 years doesn't deserve to fight a guy who won a reality show? I'm tired of all these damn re-matches, I want to see some new people fighting. Wand not only beat, but he destroyed the current champ twice, he's fought in the UFC twice, made tito turn his back and run like a little girl, and he's lost two fights in a row sure, but thats against Cro Cop who was on a mission, and Hendo who's a great fighter, it's not like he lost to no body's.
Gladiator
9/25/07 10:14:44AM
this news actually cheers me up a little bit (sad that chuck wont fight wandy in december). if they put liddell vs shogun on the same card this card could have the potential to be the best event of the year!
Branwest
9/25/07 10:35:40AM
Shogun looked like he wasn't even at that fight, mentally. He wasn't "into" the fight. It looked like he didn't prepare whatsoever. He was tired halfway through the second round, whereas in PRIDE, it would've still been in the first round. Maybe he took this fight for granted.
Also, the UFC's rules doesn't highlight Shogun's talents. His brutal soccer kicks and vicious stomps were almost a trademark of his. Not anymore.
I don't care who you fight, but there are no easy fights anymore in the UFC. You better prepare both physically and mentally and make sure your cardio is great.
This news from Wandy cheers me up. I love Forrest, but I have loved ChuteBox Academy for years. Shogun has been my favorite fighter for the last few years. This loss really hurt me.
It looks like Wandy is really taking this seriously though and I hope so. He's lost his last two fights, and although I don't believe he deserves an instant title shot, I believe if he wins his next two fights, first one being a top-ten contender, like Forrest (who got ripped off in the decision against Tito), and then against another fighter who is in line for the title, then he should get a shot (although I think they'll give him a shot after his first fight, if he wins).
I love Forrest, he's a brawler, but I hope Wandy gets in there and rips him to shreds. He's been past his prime for a little while, but if we've learned anything from Couture, he may just get back that old edge and start running through some people. I think the motivation is there.
As for Chuck, I am very dissappointed. I thought he would win this fight, and then fight Wandy, and the winner of that fight would face Rampage, or whoever held the title. I thought Shogun would fight Rampage after he beat Forrest. Well, none of this panned out like I, or most people, thought.
Chuck needs to stop acting and living like a rockstar. If anyone seen the TAPOUT show with Chuck's roomate and training partner, it looked like Chuck was "too cool" to really train hard or push himself. I think he needs to re-evaluate what he wants and how to get it, even if it means leaving his longtime friend/coach and training camp, "The Pit." I don't think he trains as hard as he should. I think he takes certain fights, such as this one against Jardine, for granted. Not anymore.
Either he should retire, or start taking some lessons on how to train hard from Sean Sherk (without the 'roids of couse). He needs someone to start pushing him. Nobody, not even his training partners should kiss his ass or treat him any differently than anybody else. I don't think he's in the right place physically or mentally right now. Two years ago, Chuck wouldn't have let himself lost that fight. He's not hungry like he once was. Either he needs to get that hunger back, get in the right place mentally and physically, or hang up the gloves.
BigEvil
9/25/07 10:52:23AM
I don't think Forrest shoud have to fight Wandy either. That should be a potential belt match. Not too mention I don't know if the UFC wants to risk throwing more money away on these huge contracts of guys who aren't winning. They need to give Wandy a couple of tests then give him a title shot so they are at least getting their moneys worth with him. I can't wait to see what Griffin was paid and what Shogun was paid.
loonytnt
9/25/07 12:00:51PM
forrest gets to fight a big name with nothing to lose again, thats ad for wandy, forrest is going win this one to
Hurricane_Brad
9/25/07 12:11:55PM
What do you mean, "nothing to lose"? If they do fight, the winner will be getting a title shot for sure. He would have just as much to lose as Silva.
TNunley
9/25/07 1:17:53PM

Posted by cmill21

So your saying a guy who dominated the sport for 7 years doesn't deserve to fight a guy who won a reality show? I'm tired of all these damn re-matches, I want to see some new people fighting. Wand not only beat, but he destroyed the current champ twice, he's fought in the UFC twice, made tito turn his back and run like a little girl, and he's lost two fights in a row sure, but thats against Cro Cop who was on a mission, and Hendo who's a great fighter, it's not like he lost to no body's.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Wanderlei was a great Pride fighter, I will not deny him of that. But to say he's dominated "the sport" (Pride) for 7 years, and assume that he's going to dominate the UFC is a bad assumption IMO. That's like saying someone who's good at Baseball can go dominate at Cricket. Although there are similarities, it is different. Irregardless of where Forrest Griffin came from, it doesn't change where things are today. So he won a reality show... if he had won/lost the same fights he has as of today, would it have made any difference if he came from training with the Gracies, or Miletich? That would be like saying someone could beat Sean Sherk because Sean used to work construction, but this guy who can beat him used to work for Crossland construction and Crossland is a much better place to work for. It just doesn't make sense IMO to worry about how a guy got where he is. What matters is he beat who many thought to be the best 205lber in the world.

As far as Wandy beating Page twice... Kudos to him, I have no doubt he is a great fighter. Shogun also has beaten Page, and Forrest took it to Shogun the entire fight, inevitably making Shogun quit. Sure Tito may have turned his back from Wandy in the fight, but Tito also dropped Wandy in that fight and ended up winning too. Also it does not make any difference if Wandy lost to CC and Hendo, or if he had lost to Michida and Bisping... yeah it gives a good reason as to why he lost, but it doesn't change the fact that he's coming off a two fight losing streak. Should Chuck Liddell get a shot at the title if he beats a top contender? Chuck Liddell dominated the UFC for a long time, and aside from Page has won against everyone who has beaten him. IMO I think Chuck has a long road ahead too, but if Wandy gets an immediate shot, then so should Chuck. Not to mention that Chuck lost to Page (who I think could beat Wandy today), and Jardine (Jardine is no pushover), they aren't nobodies either.

My point is, Wandy doesn't deserve Griffin. Griffin solidified his place with the outstanding performance against Shogun, and until Wandy does something in the UFC... I don't think he deserves anything, nor do I think Griffin should take steps back to fight Wandy.
Mastodon2
9/25/07 3:13:54PM

Posted by TNunley

I don't really think Wanderlei is a step back at all, this fight works for UFC both ways. If Griffin wins, he has beat another huge name, a name imo, might be worth more than Shogun in the long run. I was never completely sold on the theory that Shogun was better than Wanderlei, and Wanderlei is still very much a name worth beating.

If Griffin loses, then no there is no shame in it, he showed that he is a much better fighter than most gave him credit for (granted, a lot of people thought he beat Tito, myself included) but had 07 not been such an unpredictable year, I bet even less people would have picked Forrest to win. A lot of people only picked Forrest because picking the underdog seems to be a good tactic this year, and while Forrest has some skill and confidence, the majority still believed that Shogun's aggression, superior skills and wins over tougher compeition would see him through, but alas they didn't. Should Griffin lose, he has already showed that he can beat big names (even if Shogun clearly wasnt on his game, Forrest still beat him) so a loss to Wanderlei won't set him back too far. If Wanderlei wins it will help instate him in the UFC fans eyes, most of which probably know him by name only.

This fight gives the UFC a lot of great outcomes, and should make a smoking match for the fans, provided that it happens.
TNunley
9/25/07 3:46:08PM

Posted by Mastodon2

A lot of people only picked Forrest because picking the underdog seems to be a good tactic this year, and while Forrest has some skill and confidence, the majority still believed that Shogun's aggression, superior skills and wins over tougher compeition would see him through, but alas they didn't...

I had Forrest picked from the moment it was announced, had nothing to do with being an underdog. I still don't think Forrest needs to fight Wandy, when he could have a shot at the title. Wouldn't be smart to me.
jocka
9/25/07 4:30:10PM
I think that it was a nice victory for Griffin but i dont think he deserves a shot at the title he should fight wandy and the winner gets a shot at the title, it will be tuffer fight than Rampage got when he started
BigEvil
9/25/07 4:33:02PM
Shogun=150,000 Forrest=44,000 (only 44 cuz he won, would have been 22)
TNunley
9/25/07 4:35:44PM

Posted by jocka

I think that it was a nice victory for Griffin but i dont think he deserves a shot at the title he should fight wandy and the winner gets a shot at the title, it will be tuffer fight than Rampage got when he started

Just curious, but what is your reasoning behind Forrest having to fight Wandy... Wandy is 1-1 in the UFC
TNunley
9/25/07 4:36:37PM

Posted by BigEvil

Shogun=150,000 Forrest=44,000 (only 44 cuz he won, would have been 22)

He also got an additional $40,000 for "Submission of the Night".
jocka
9/25/07 4:56:44PM

Posted by TNunley

Posted by jocka

Just curious, but what is your reasoning behind Forrest having to fight Wandy... Wandy is 1-1 in the UFC

In my opinion Wandy is a much more experience fighther, he fough some top competition Griffin has not except for Shogun. Plus i know that Griffin always puts a intertaining fight and Wandy always does as well. There is no way in hell that fighting wandy is a step down for Griffin its actually just another guy in the top 10.
zephead
9/25/07 5:25:22PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by TNunley

The same guy that "won the reality" show choked out Shogun who many people had P4P top 3 greatest fighters in the world. I'd love to see this fight.
cmill21
9/25/07 7:14:50PM

Posted by zephead

Posted by cmill21

Posted by TNunley

The same guy that "won the reality" show choked out Shogun who many people had P4P top 3 greatest fighters in the world. I'd love to see this fight.

Yeah I saw the fight. I also saw that top 3 in the world gas that none other, did you? I also saw him get taken down that that guy who was gassed, and get cut up with elbows, and have shoguns back 3-4 times only to see him roll out of it time and again. Oh yeah that same guy who won that reality show got Ko'd by another guy who lost that reality show. Keep supporting all the UFC guys I don't care, i'll keep supporting the guys who made me love the sport, not the guys who are boring to watch(to me). I guess theres no point in voicing my opinion since a mod disagrees with me right?
ac_gi
9/26/07 12:44:37AM

Posted by cmill21
Yeah I saw the fight. I also saw that top 3 in the world gas that none other, did you? I also saw him get taken down that that guy who was gassed, and get cut up with elbows, and have shoguns back 3-4 times only to see him roll out of it time and again. Oh yeah that same guy who won that reality show got Ko'd by another guy who lost that reality show. Keep supporting all the UFC guys I don't care, i'll keep supporting the guys who made me love the sport, not the guys who are boring to watch(to me). I guess theres no point in voicing my opinion since a mod disagrees with me right?

Did you also see him lose to a guy who got knocked out by a reality show loser? Just wondering.
Pages: [1] 2