should wall kicks be illegal?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » should wall kicks be illegal?
POLL: should wall climbing kicks be legal?
yes 64% (35)
no 36% (20)
papercut
12/25/10 1:07:41AM
I read this opinion article on junkie earlier and it got me wondering, who here feels it should be illegal? why or why not?

I for one think it should be legal because the cage is something everyone can use to their advantage whether they use it to stop a takedown or help one, reverse a bad position. also I've seen fighters push of the cage with their feet to perform a superman punch. so IMO I feel as long as you aren't climbing ontop of the cage or grabbing it with a hand to gain advantage or keep an advantage it should be legal. what is the consensus of the playground?
emfleek
12/25/10 1:27:56AM
It should absolutely be legal. It's no different than pushing off from the clinch and throwing an elbow/punch as far as I'm concerned.
sbulldavid
12/25/10 2:11:47AM
I don't see any good reason for it to be illegal, it was a sweet kick but it was a novelty, and was set up nice while being unexpected. I however believe soccer kicks and head stomps belong in MMA, so maybe I'm missing something in this debate.
Twenty20Dollars
12/25/10 2:32:25AM
whoops i voted for no when i meant to vote for yes, I guess I should have "read" the question. I think it was the title of the thread i voted no for and the actual poll i meant to vote yes for. sadface

I'd be suprised to see anyone land one again as good as Pettis did, but I'm sure we will see more people trying it now maybe not in the UFC but prolly hear about it in smaller orgs.
jiujitsufreak74
12/25/10 2:58:56AM
i also clicked no on accident. i thought it said "illegal" lol
king_katool
12/25/10 4:11:11AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Me too lol,

Right now its 5 yes 3 no with all no suppose to be yes
SmileR
12/25/10 7:48:11AM

Posted by king_katool

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Me too lol,

Right now its 5 yes 3 no with all no suppose to be yes

Me three! I like wall kicks nice and legal!
warglory
12/26/10 11:58:56AM
I think I clicked no as well. They should absolutely be legal.
RyanC
12/26/10 12:16:46PM
The title of the thread asks if they should be illegal, and then the poll question asks if they should be legal. I clicked no when I should have clicked yes.

They should absolutely be legal. There is no current rule that would make them illegal and there definitely should not be one instituted.
Chael_Sonnen
12/27/10 12:58:09AM
Legal
BustedKnuckle
12/29/10 6:59:17PM
Like so many of you i clicked no but thought it meant yes......if that makes sense
TimW001
1/1/11 3:30:17PM
I accidently clicked no but meant yes.
DARRYL_Ledonne
1/2/11 5:18:10AM
Yes kicking wall is illegal.......

because it can break your leg. :) Just kidding just joking.

Keep kicking walls as walls are made to kick.
bjj1605
1/9/11 12:25:42AM
I also accidentally clicked "no". This is one confusing poll.

I think most of the no's should be yes's.
MADDRUSSIAN
1/15/11 7:44:51PM
No wall kicks should not be illegal. The cage is just another tool in the arsenal of a fighter. Showtime kick turned a great fight into a instant classic. How could you make something like that illegal.
DutchRebelP
1/16/11 2:54:21PM
same as grabbing ropes or cage its illegal only cause you use the ring/cage as advantage