The Walking Dead (TV Series on AMC)

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » The Walking Dead (TV Series on AMC)
emfleek
11/30/10 4:23:12PM
Anyone watch it? Thoughts?

I personally have grown to love the show. I had high expectations going in...was a little bored with the first half hour of the premier, but have since developed a love for the show.

I'm hoping Season 2 is even better!

The Walking Dead (on Wiki)

The Walking Dead (on AMCTV.com)

Twenty20Dollars
11/30/10 4:37:29PM
It's great, glad they are doing a second season.

sbulldavid
11/30/10 4:42:21PM
I watch it every week, I never have been a fan of zombie movies, but I enjoy this because it adds reality to the usual zombie theme.
emfleek
11/30/10 4:46:11PM

Posted by sbulldavid

I watch it every week, I never have been a fan of zombie movies, but I enjoy this because it adds reality to the usual zombie theme.

Agreed...and at least it's not another series of/about or related-to vampires.
grappler0000
11/30/10 5:00:23PM
Yep, great show, as was expected. There couldn't have been much more anticipation on my part leading up to the series...and they have delivered. I'm also not a huge zombie fan, aside from a couple of movies. I am however a huge horror fan and every time shocktillyoudrop released more info and media on the show, it became more and more apparent that it was gonna be great.
RyanC
11/30/10 5:24:06PM
How in the hell did I miss out on this show? I don't think I've ever even heard of it. I pretty much love anything involving zombies. I've probably seen just about every zombie movie ever made. Complete fail on my part. Gonna have to check out the ol' ONDEMAND.
gartface
11/30/10 6:58:49PM

Posted by sbulldavid

Watch Shaun of the Dead. I'm being honest in saying that, to me, it is the most realistic zombie movie I've seen.

I have two episodes of the Walking Dead on my DVR that I need to watch tonight.
bojangalz
11/30/10 7:24:55PM
I cancelled the cable over about two years ago now. And one way or another I still heard about this show a few days before the pilot episode. I must confess something evil... I may or may not have borrowed the show from the interwebs for personal viewing purposes while sitting in the office at one of my part-time gigs during a recent snow storm ( and that most certainly wouldn't include tonight of all times! ).

I wouldn't call myself a zombie nut or anything like that. But the thought of a zombie apocalypse and the kind of fun it would being is certainly entertaining. This shows not too bad. I think the main character is a bit of a dope myself but all in all the shows entertaining enough to keep me in the seat. And at the end of the day that's all I'm really looking for.
emfleek
11/30/10 7:36:51PM

Posted by bojangalz

I think the main character is a bit of a dope myself but all in all the shows entertaining enough to keep me in the seat. And at the end of the day that's all I'm really looking for.

I don't disagree but will say that the white trash guy (the brother of the guy that was left on the roof) is a horrible actor.
AchillesHeel
11/30/10 8:57:38PM
I'm quite liking the show. It's departing a little from the comics, which I don't mind at all.
kopower
11/30/10 9:12:55PM
The show has grown on me since its' first episode. I haven't missed one since. Hopefully season 2 is a step up from this one. Would like to see a bit more action.
gartface
11/30/10 10:47:45PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by bojangalz

I think the main character is a bit of a dope myself but all in all the shows entertaining enough to keep me in the seat. And at the end of the day that's all I'm really looking for.

I don't disagree but will say that the white trash guy (the brother of the guy that was left on the roof) is a horrible actor.

Norman Reedus of Boondock Saints fame. He's an awful actor.
BlueSkiesBurn
11/30/10 10:57:30PM
They fired their writers and will not replace them for season two.

article
Cdellorso
11/30/10 10:59:46PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by bojangalz

I remember him as "Scagg" on blade 2

I will say I love all things Zombie- this is pretty darn good....
I hate a few things. lets assume that the rock quarry is the best place to "Camp" if you gut that hot red car for parts to keep the RV moving....
why noy just gut the inside enough to sleap in - at least the doors lock- instead they are sleeping in tents.....

anyway.... I will keep watching every Sunday.

Twenty20Dollars
11/30/10 11:10:43PM
It was great when they covered themselves in the walker's blood and went out in the middle of all the walker's.
bojangalz
11/30/10 11:43:46PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

It was great when they covered themselves in the walker's blood and went out in the middle of all the walker's.

Ok, now THIS strikes a nerve... Can we please not call them "walkers"? What the hell is the matter with these idiots?! You cannot tell me that none of these toolbags has ever seen a Zombie flick. They aren't "walkers", or "geeks". There zombies dammit! This needs to be fixed. I mean what the hell?! Did some writer have intellectual property rights to the word "zombie"? And if that were to be the case; wouldn't you think that if your going to write a script about zombies that it would probably be money well spent to pay the sum'bitch so you can use his word?!

Dammit that's annoying.
cowcatcher
12/1/10 1:39:21AM
I thought the show could end up taking a turn and making the love story the main focus of the show, but thankfully it hasn't. I think the show has been really entertaining and I kept looking forward to the next episode as soon as one ended.

on a tangent, ive been watching the event too, and im really liking that show as well. i never watched lost or 24, and i generally watch comedies and reality type shows, so the weekly cliffhanger thing is pretty fun to follow with both these shows.

bojangles is right, i really hate hearing them say walkers or geeks too. everyone knows what a damn zombie is, and if they didnt they probably were unprepared for the inevitable zombie apocalypse and became zombies anyways.
jae_1833
12/1/10 3:16:24AM
Huge fan of the Zombie apocolypse! Good show really, good cast of characters and great effects....simple yet effective and not at all cheesy.
Drudinh
12/1/10 5:08:13AM
I'm a huge zombie fan and love the reference of geeks personally. The first few shows were a let down to me I think because I was anticipating it so much... but it has grown on me. The one complaint I would have is the initial likeness to the 28 Days Later movie. I just feel like the plot for the first episode was ripped off and thank goodness they moved on from there. Other than that I believe it is decent show. Can't wait til next season to see if they make any inprovement in the drama. AMC has been adding plenty of good shows latley and I am ready for my next fix of Breaking Bad.

Oh yeah and Z-day is upon us. One day it could happen and u better be ready to survive.
emfleek
12/1/10 8:50:42AM
I don't mind the usage of the terms 'walker' (Texas Ranger FTW!) or 'geek' when referring to zombies. I'd be willing to bet that *not* everyone knows (especially the older generation) exactly what a zombie is so they may call them something else besides a zombie.
Twenty20Dollars
12/1/10 11:47:49AM
Yeah I dont mind them using "walker" because it goes with the title. I think it could be that zombie has been used by others in other movies or maybe it's just too ordinary and they want to be different.
FlashyG
12/1/10 12:46:37PM
Technically they aren't Zombies either, they are ghouls based on the fact that they eat flesh but either way Walkers and Geeks just sounds stupid.

Overall I love the show but it seems like a lot of the characters are very 1 dimensional to the point of feeling like a cartoon characters.

The star (Rick) seems to have the worst situational awareness of any cop in the history police work. He let a kid get the drop on him with a shovel, rode a horse on concrete right into an ambush clacking the whole way, failed to realize something was wrong when he entered Atlanta with the outbound lanes full of abandoned cars but open inbound lanes. The worst mistake he made IMO though is probably the one that had Bojangalz cringing. He turned his back on an unsecured vehicle after already being shot by one of its occupants.

Even the other survivors living conditions make me chuckle, the world is overrun by Zombies and they skipped going to the secured police station with guns, ammo, and hot showers for the security of a tent city!

Maybe firing the writers was a good thing, although I'm spoiled by the Wire and its not fair to expect shows to live up to that level of excellence.
State_Champ
12/1/10 2:16:34PM

Posted by Drudinh

I'm a huge zombie fan and love the reference of geeks personally. The first few shows were a let down to me I think because I was anticipating it so much ... but it has grown on me. The one complaint I would have is the initial likeness to the 28 Days Later movie. I just feel like the plot for the first episode was ripped off and thank goodness they moved on from there. Other than that I believe it is decent show. Can't wait til next season to see if they make any inprovement in the drama. AMC has been adding plenty of good shows latley and I am ready for my next fix of Breaking Bad.

Oh yeah and Z-day is upon us. One day it could happen and u better be ready to survive.

This is interesting...
I too was anticipating the show greatly since I have been reading and loving the comics for a while now, and my favorite episodes have actually been the first few.

emfleek
12/1/10 2:20:36PM
EDIT: I take that back. The most recent episode has been my least favorite.
Kpro
12/1/10 5:37:37PM
I think it's a great show and watch them all but I still want to know if the chick had a chance to take a plunge in the lake in between fornicating with the greasy dude and her husband making it into her camp tent.
marcoDGK
12/2/10 3:51:50PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

I'm quite liking the show. It's departing a little from the comics, which I don't mind at all.

that bummed me out a bit. I really wanted to see them go in that direction. There is way more crazy stuff happening in the comic. gives you more of the 'no one is safe' feeling.