In wake of UFC 151 cancellation, champ Jones tells AP: 'I don't owe anybody anything'

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » In wake of UFC 151 cancellation, champ Jones tells AP: 'I don't owe anybody anything'
thevoodooninja
9/10/12 6:39:41PM
LINK

One thing is certain in the aftermath of UFC 151 and the buildup to UFC 152: There has been no shortage of quotables.

UFC President Dana White has had plenty of them, starting with the media conference call that canceled the UFC 151 pay-per-view scheduled for Sept. 1 in Las Vegas. Injured light heavyweight contender Dan Henderson has had a few, denied potential challenger Chael Sonnen has had his typical share and champ Jon Jones hasn't been shy, either.

Less than two weeks now from his new title fight against Vitor Belfort (21-9 MMA, 10-5 UFC), Jones (16-1 MMA, 10-1 UFC) recently dropped some more billboard material – though it may be ammunition for his boss and critics more than future opponents.

Jones fights Belfort in the main event of UFC 152, which takes place Sept. 22 at Air Canada Centre in Toronto. That fight is the aftermath of Henderson pulling out of a UFC 151 title fight with Jones due to a knee injury. Jones was offered Sonnen, who only a month ago declared a move from middleweight to light heavyweight, but Jones turned the fight down, and White and the UFC scrapped UFC 151 altogether – a UFC first.

White announced a new title fight between Jones and former champ Lyoto Machida for UFC 152, three weeks after UFC 151. But later that day, Machida officially turned the fight down and the UFC turned to Belfort, who last fought at light heavyweight in 2007.

With criticism coming fast and furious from White, from fellow fighters, from fans, Jones again defended his decision, telling The Associated Press he had to look out for No. 1.

frizzzlecake
9/17/12 1:53:49PM
I always enjoy a good heel, please Jones Step on Dana's toes as much or more than Tito.