waiting for title shots

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » waiting for title shots
scobac
5/30/09 8:24:43PM
what do you think? Im tired of waiting for titles shots in the UFC to happen, mostly due to TUF but other things like BJ and whatever he's doing. I can understand and except an injury but the other things just seem to take the excitement out of a title fight for me. It dosnt seem to help these guys having long lay offs either.
tmas
5/30/09 9:20:23PM
you are not waiting that long, there is a title shot almost every month almost every PPV has a title shot......

Have you ever fought? You cant just go in there every month every two months and fight, thats the sport. If you look at the majority of fighter the majority fight 2-4 times per year, thats anwhere from 1 fight per six months to 1 fight per 3 months.......

Enjoy the "wait" it makes it that much more special
s2kmma
5/30/09 9:44:48PM
I think it should (and does usually) depend on the damage the title holder takes in the fight. look at guys like krystoff 2 (pretty easy) wins in 35 days... if he was the champ, or any of anderson's title fights so far they could clear out the division sooo fast if the UFC let them lol
imo it has a lot more to do with the business of the UFC and not the fighters. i'm sure there are lots of fighters that would fight every day and lots that wanna fight once or twice a year but its up to the big wigs so...
scobac
5/30/09 10:25:44PM

Posted by tmas

you are not waiting that long, there is a title shot almost every month almost every PPV has a title shot......

Have you ever fought? You cant just go in there every month every two months and fight, thats the sport. If you look at the majority of fighter the majority fight 2-4 times per year, thats anwhere from 1 fight per six months to 1 fight per 3 months.......

Enjoy the "wait" it makes it that much more special

Re-read my post, im not talkiing about injuries and things fighters have no control over, Im talking about delaying for the filming of a reality show and the log jam and missed chances for other guys, and things like bj, tito, guys just holding out because their not ready because of things they HAVE control over. lets say rashad won, we'd be waiting again through another season of TUF. Rampage's defense against forrest alomst a year after he fought hendo, serra's first defense OVER a year after he won the title, BJ's defense will be 7 months since his last fight and over a year since he defended the title. The bottom line is that guys loose their shots for the title because they are fighting 2-4 times while they are waiting and when the title is there to grab they might not be in contention anymore.
Wallass
5/30/09 10:37:29PM
I agree with scobac. Imagine if BJ did win against GSP then what would happen? He would have had to defend his Lightweight to Ken Flo and wed have to wait even longer for Thiago to get the shot even though the Welters is probably the most stacked division. Also, I know Serra got injured but Serra won the title and defended it 9 MONTHS LATER. I understand these things happen but it just seems like Joe Silva/Dana White want to stretch things out a lot.
s2kmma
5/30/09 10:37:53PM
yup and the big wigs would rather make a gazillion dollars having b.j. fight gsp. rather than having them both defend there own titles gsp got to beat up a lightweight while both divisions have plenty of contenders
now to the casuall fan b.j. sucks and GSP is god
imo those fights should be almost like exibitions non title fights and they shouldnt be able to delay their division at all and you shouldt be able to take more than one title .
Jackelope
5/30/09 10:51:47PM
All I can say is that it's still better than boxing. Except when you have someone like Pacquiao who is willing to fight all the time.

I understand both sides of the argument, though. I'm a bit neutral on the issue.
Franklinfan47
5/31/09 11:35:35AM
State_Champ
5/31/09 12:20:39PM
I don't like the reality show, division jumping, ect....when they delay title fights.

On a related note: B.J. got a title fight instantly when he jumped up a weight class so does this mean A. Silva could do the same (provided Lyoto wasn't the champ)?

Also, while I do dislike waiting for title fights, I dislike unwarranted title shots even more.
sclasclemski
5/31/09 1:42:01PM

Posted by State_Champ

I don't like the reality show, division jumping, ect....when they delay title fights.

On a related note: B.J. got a title fight instantly when he jumped up a weight class so does this mean A. Silva could do the same (provided Lyoto wasn't the champ)?

Also, while I do dislike waiting for title fights, I dislike unwarranted title shots even more.

If/when Anderson beats Forrest I wouldn't be surprised if Dana tries to force a Silva/Machida fight However I would rather see GSP/Silva...And I kinda agree the Show should not hold up title shots...it would be better if they just put in contenders who are in line for the title and create a number one with their fight...and in the interim the champ could have a title defense keeping the divison moving...of course this would then piss off countless fans who would say that the person getting the shot doesn't deserve (i.s. Shogun)

Its not a perfect world...TUF has been awesome for this sport and has projected it into the mainstream...it sucks when the belts are held up but really what good has complaining about it done so far...

As far as BJ goes...well he just needs either to fight or go home
State_Champ
5/31/09 4:52:32PM
In the end I think people just want to see a good fight.