Wager question

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA Playground Game Talk » Wager question
Pookie
4/1/08 9:54:57PM
Both boetch and J-lau have 37% of the site picking them....
so why is boetch at +100 and j-lau is at +185?

juanez13
4/1/08 9:58:00PM

Posted by Pookie

Both boetch and J-lau have 37% of the site picking them....
so why is boetch at +100 and j-lau is at +185?

might be wrong, probably am, but the Odds are the actual betting Odds, and have nothing to do the the site's odds.
Pookie
4/1/08 10:04:19PM
see i thought it was supposed to be relfective of the site... maybe a mod can answer
Kpro
4/1/08 10:57:16PM
>>>The odds update themselves every 24 hours or so as far as I know, depending on what the picks are, so a good number of people swayed the odds when they got their e-mails to make picks for the event.<<<

Above is a post by Svartom on 2/2/08.

Possibly the odds are only updated a few times a week or less and only recently has everyone been jumping on Hamill to get him from around 50% favorite up to 63% ?

EDIT: And the email was just sent out I believe this morning or so, so this would make sense that a thousand picks could've been made today.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
4/1/08 11:37:07PM
i have lauzon and boetsch winning in impressive fashion. only time wlll tell....... boetsch by 2nd round Tko and lauzon by 2nd round sub. maybe hamil grind out a decision with his wrestling and strength , but boetsch front leg kicks are very unorthadox. i dont know much about hamils chin either. it could be iron. boetsch looked very good in his last fight. and went the distance with matushenko for his only loss.
RMFG_187
4/2/08 12:15:41AM
maybe it doesn't count on whos picking him, but how many bet $$$ on him.
MMA
4/2/08 12:35:09AM
Hmm, I was under the impression that the odds were suppose to be real odds. I'll get back to you guys (or some other moderator will).
wolfman
4/2/08 2:17:52AM
Taken from the site About/Info section: "Fighter odds are based on an algorithm which factors in a variety of criteria from our users via the pick 'em game, fighter rankings, and more."

Game Rules
Pookie
4/2/08 2:49:45AM
as niether of these guys are ranked it makes me wonder what the "and more" is because essentially that is whats making the difference here.
CornishMMA
4/2/08 7:51:34AM

Posted by wolfman

Taken from the site About/Info section: "Fighter odds are based on an algorithm which factors in a variety of criteria from our users via the pick 'em game, fighter rankings, and more."

Game Rules

Well played

And also i think DotheMMAth said its tricky to get the wager odds updated,the site needs to be down for a while or something, so he hasnt been doing them much, ,its true they should be updated but its a bit late now i think
Svartorm
4/2/08 3:29:55PM
Yeah, it slows the site way down to update odds because it takes so much into account, and we get a huge rush of people coming into the site to make their picks at the last minute, which is why the odds shifted like that. It was enough to make Ken-flo vs. Lauzon the hot bout.
CornishMMA
4/2/08 8:46:38PM
wow so it did!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats rad cos i picked the hamill tim fight wrong so now have a chance to win with Kenny UD
Pookie
4/2/08 9:51:40PM

Posted by CornishMMA

thats rad cos i picked the hamill tim fight wrong so now have a chance to win with Kenny UD

in ended up switching back, lol.

GO HAMMILL!!!!!!!
hippysmacker
4/3/08 3:00:58PM
The algorithm, also gives more credence to the picks of people that have done well over a longer period of time with their picks, same as the rankings.
Pookie
4/3/08 3:07:02PM
OoooOo
Svartorm
4/4/08 4:54:22AM

Posted by CornishMMA

So did I, and I was all happy that I called the Ken-flo vs. J-Lau fight perfect.......then I saw it switched back.