Who are you voting for? And let's use this thread to discuss Hurricane Sandy.

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Who are you voting for? And let's use this thread to discuss Hurricane Sandy.
Next Page »
POLL: Presidential Poll
Obama 46% (21)
Romney 13% (6)
Other 9% (4)
I'm not voting 33% (15)
KungFuMaster
10/29/12 11:18:21AM
If the mods will allow this topic, I would like to know how PG will vote? I know political debates are not allowed but this is simply a poll so PLEASE just vote and if you must post, you can post about Hurricane Sandy.
KungFuMaster
10/29/12 11:24:10AM
For PG members who will be hit by Sandy? Stay safe.
Budgellism
10/29/12 11:40:45AM
For sure. Good luck to our members being effected by it. Here in Ontario we've had a ton of rain and some crazy winds. Today is very cold with the high winds. Standing there waiting for a bus this morning was brutal.
airkerma
10/29/12 11:40:49AM
Sandy will shortly cancel all of my flights, so now I don't have to go on a business trip
Sandy will shortly cancel all of my vacation plans, so now I don't have to worry about going to the Hamptons ever again because my parents house is probably going to float away
KungFuMaster
10/29/12 11:48:53AM

Posted by airkerma

Sandy will shortly cancel all of my flights, so now I don't have to go on a business trip
Sandy will shortly cancel all of my vacation plans, so now I don't have to worry about going to the Hamptons ever again because my parents house is probably going to float away

So you killed two birds with one stone?
cowcatcher
10/29/12 12:04:19PM
I'm all for the Sandy talk, but there's no political talk allowed here. So if we can keep it just to a poll without any discussion where people get fired up and feel they have to throw their personal beliefs on anyone, I'll leave it up for now. The first sign of political rhetoric and I'm nuking the thread. Sorry guys, thems the rules.
KungFuMaster
10/29/12 12:15:55PM

Posted by cowcatcher

I'm all for the Sandy talk, but there's no political talk allowed here. So if we can keep it just to a poll without any discussion where people get fired up and feel they have to throw their personal beliefs on anyone, I'll leave it up for now. The first sign of political rhetoric and I'm nuking the thread. Sorry guys, thems the rules.

Thanks man.
KungFuMaster
10/29/12 12:19:31PM
It barely missed the coast of Virginia in which I have families in. Phew.

I like the votes so far.
Bubbles
10/29/12 12:30:23PM
I'm not voting Although I would vote Ray Lewis as a write in nomination #timandsid

politics aside, I hope this storm will do less damage than what is being assumed. Tonight in Southern Ontario there's an estimated 60km/h winds (~37 mph)...I don't remember the last time winds were that strong
Rabi
10/29/12 12:40:20PM
Luckily not affected by the weather, I really hope that people are able to stay safe, its horrible seeing the reports on the news.
KungFuMaster
10/29/12 12:42:36PM

Posted by Bubbles

I'm not voting Although I would vote Ray Lewis as a write in nomination #timandsid

politics aside, I hope this storm will do less damage than what is being assumed. Tonight in Southern Ontario there's an estimated 60km/h winds (~37 mph)...I don't remember the last time winds were that strong

25mph winds have knocked down trees in my town. 37 - you shouldn't be going anywhere unless you have to.
george112
10/29/12 1:18:57PM
Hope everyone is staying safe where the storm is coming in

Having said that. Seems like the news channels are WAY up this storms ass. You would think this was the storm of the century with how their covering this. It's only a category one.

Now before people get bent out of shape about what I just said. I will say that I have lived within 15 minutes of the coast my entire life and have had PLENTY of hurricane experiences that were imo "bigger". Just seems like because New York is gonna get hit its the end of the world. But when a place like Galveston and Houston or even Corpus gets hit its just an hourly update kind of thing versus 24 hour coverage
BuffaloDave
10/29/12 1:28:12PM
Voted, I'm not going to vote, since I'm not allowed to.

As for Sandy,

kopower
10/29/12 1:34:31PM

Posted by BuffaloDave

Voted, I'm not going to vote, since I'm not allowed to.

As for Sandy,

First, I hope the storm isn't bad, and nobody gets injured. I have the same skepticism as Dave though. Might be getting blown out of proportion because it's hitting the east coast. I guess we'll find out in the coming hours how bad it really is.
airkerma
10/29/12 1:34:41PM
Could affect up to 60Million people
60Mil is pretty damn big if you ask me... I'm thinking you haven't really looked into how big it's going to be. Do you have any idea what 8-12 FEET of increased tides can do to the east coast? From the house we have out there, that would imply that I could stand up inside the house and have the water up to my eyes. This also applies to NYC, so despite thinking the NY gets more coverage than Houston, it is because that much of a tidal increase can put a good portion of that city under water, and if the winds are blowing right, it will be worse. I'm not even including the weather projections for areas hundreds of miles away that are supposed to get nasty wind, rain, snow, and possible power outages.
Poor_Franklin
10/29/12 1:50:48PM
I don't care to vote for President. If anyone needs an explanation as to why I don't vote, please watch South Park
george112
10/29/12 1:51:30PM

Posted by airkerma

60Mil is pretty damn big if you ask me... I'm thinking you haven't really looked into how big it's going to be. Do you have any idea what 8-12 FEET of increased tides can do to the east coast? From the house we have out there, that would imply that I could stand up inside the house and have the water up to my eyes. This also applies to NYC, so despite thinking the NY gets more coverage than Houston, it is because that much of a tidal increase can put a good portion of that city under water, and if the winds are blowing right, it will be worse. I'm not even including the weather projections for areas hundreds of miles away that are supposed to get nasty wind, rain, snow, and possible power outages.

what you just described is basically what happens to any coastal city hit by a hurricane. Do I even need to bring up Katrina? Or even what happened to Galveston with Ike?
ghandikush
10/29/12 1:54:38PM

Posted by airkerma

Its going to really ruin the worlds pumpkin crops
KungFuMaster
10/29/12 2:03:38PM

Posted by airkerma

I concur. When Katrina was brewing, people did not anticipate the worst and the worst happened. Experts like my geology professor knew and we talked about it the week before. He described the potential disasters if the levees were to break and sure enough - they did.

To the doubtful posters, it is always better to be safe than sorry.
KungFuMaster
10/29/12 2:05:58PM

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by airkerma

Is there a way I can take back the props I've given to ghandikush?
Theoutlaw08
10/29/12 2:31:01PM
I am voting and I did the poll, but I will leave it at that.

As for the storm, I hope that who ever is effected by it stays safe. Sounds like it could be epically terrible. I hope its not as bad as they say. So who ever is on the east coast, good luck.
Shawn91111
10/29/12 3:39:51PM
I am an Hour north of NYC and it was just light rain and wind. I went through many hurricanes living in Florida, especially 2004. People freak out up with this Hurricane and Irene last year around here.
scoozna
10/29/12 4:24:00PM
It's 4:20pm in southeastern PA. My in-laws have come to stay with us as they were told to evacuate Long Beach Island NJ. The storm is expected to hit the NJ coast 20-30 miles from their house (last I heard). We're getting really strong winds, and the lights have flickered twice now. Expecting the worst tonight and am doubtful the power will stay on overnight. A dead tree is down nearby but I just had a lot of trimming/deadwooding/cabling done on the trees near my house, so I should be ok. The biggest thing for me will be if the power goes out, will the basement flood? I failed to get a generator after Irene and I'm kicking myself now. Shoulda just bit the bullet and spent the money. First world problems, I know.
BuffaloDave
10/29/12 4:43:04PM
ghandikush
10/29/12 4:48:09PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by airkerma

Take a goddamn joke, hurrcanes is bad mmkay
KungFuMaster
10/29/12 5:21:28PM

Posted by scoozna

It's 4:20pm in southeastern PA. My in-laws have come to stay with us as they were told to evacuate Long Beach Island NJ. The storm is expected to hit the NJ coast 20-30 miles from their house (last I heard). We're getting really strong winds, and the lights have flickered twice now. Expecting the worst tonight and am doubtful the power will stay on overnight. A dead tree is down nearby but I just had a lot of trimming/deadwooding/cabling done on the trees near my house, so I should be ok. The biggest thing for me will be if the power goes out, will the basement flood? I failed to get a generator after Irene and I'm kicking myself now. Shoulda just bit the bullet and spent the money. First world problems, I know.

Candles will work just fine. Stay safe, Scoozna.
KungFuMaster
10/29/12 5:26:33PM

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by airkerma

I got your joke but it was bad taste and bad timing. Lives are at stake here.
ghandikush
10/29/12 5:34:54PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by airkerma

I got your joke but it was bad taste and bad timing. Lives are at stake here.

I dont get the big deal, a bunch of people arent evacuating and are without electricity, its their own fault I assume? Is there something special about this one? I HIGHLY doubt any cities not under sea level are getting submerged anytime soon.
ThaAxeMurderer7
10/29/12 5:52:24PM
I hope everyone along the east coast and their families stay safe for the duration of Sandy. Always take the necessary precautions, even if you don't find them necessary. Aside from the last 2 years, I lived my entire life in the New Orleans area and know a thing or two about these storms and everything that comes with it including being without power for weeks and the cleanup after it. Again, hope everyone stays safe.
Shawn91111
10/29/12 7:02:09PM

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by airkerma

Pages: [1] 2 3