Vote - How should the hot bout system be conducted?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA Playground Game Talk » Vote - How should the hot bout system be conducted?
POLL: How should the hot bout system be conducted?
Keep it the same, works great as it is. 78% (28)
+2pts per hotbout 0% (0)
+2pts per hotbout, multiple hotbouts per card 14% (5)
+5pts per hotbout 6% (2)
other 3% (1)
tap_or_snap
1/29/08 7:50:08PM
I personally feel double points on a hot bout is excessive.

I personally would rarther see multiple hot bouts on a card at +2 per bout

Im going to point out right now im 1-6 on hot bouts to save the predictable sarky comment...So yes i am 1-6, but my views are what they are, it wouldnt matter if i was 7-0 i would stil feel the same way.

If people feel the same as me or plain disagree then please take the time to vote.

Edit - Sorry guys accidently placed this thread in the wrong section, if a mod sees it then please move it too the game discussion section as obviously that is the right place for it.
THE_DRiZzLE
1/29/08 7:57:19PM
i don't know.. i'm fine with the way it is..

EDIT: although i'm not always in agreement on which one is classified as the hot bout..
tuvok500
1/29/08 8:01:38PM

Posted by tap_or_snap

I personally feel double points on a hot bout is excessive.

I personally would rarther see multiple hot bouts on a card at +2 per bout

Im going to point out right now im 1-6 on hot bouts to save the predictable sarky comment...So yes i am 1-6, but my views are what they are, it wouldnt matter if i was 7-0 i would stil feel the same way.

If people feel the same as me or plain disagree then please take the time to vote.

Edit - Sorry guys accidently placed this thread in the wrong section, if a mod sees it then please move it too the game discussion section as obviously that is the right place for it.

Well, +2 is already there in any fight if you select an underdog and he win.

I like the hot bout like it is now !!

Maybe a truc for you since you are 1-6 like you said, you should picks the guy that you think will lose and you should be ok.

tap_or_snap
1/29/08 8:03:20PM

Posted by tuvok500

Well, +2 is already there in any fight if you select an underdog and he win.

I like the hot bout like it is now !!

Maybe a truc for you since you are 1-6 like you said, you should picks the guy that you think will lose and you should be ok.

thats an interesting thought tuvok, maybe ill try that for brock - mir

Edit - I chose +2 as i thought it would complement the current underdog situation rarther well, svartorm made a nice suggestion that any bout on a card between 60-40 percentage wise (with percentages taken from the stats page) be declared a hot bout, which i also feels works nicely with the underdog system (any bout with an 80-20 split declared an underdog bout).
Rush
1/29/08 8:21:16PM
I like the hot bouts the way they are, though I am not opposed to hot bouts also being undercard fights.
hippysmacker
1/29/08 8:29:39PM

Posted by Rush

I like the hot bouts the way they are, though I am not opposed to hot bouts also being undercard fights.

I am fine wih it as is. However, if it ever were to be changed , it would probably be before the start of a new season. I don't think it would be fair to change it in season.
stock
1/30/08 8:47:37AM
I think it is fine as is. Along as the rules are the same for everyone, I really don't see the problem.

Also, several people have posted that they don't agree with what bouts are made the hot bouts.
If I understand correctly, hot bouts are not chosen. They are simply the bouts in which MMAPlayground has the biggest split on.
DCRage
1/30/08 9:07:35AM
I once asked here about how they're chosen, the choice is made based on which fight is the closest in terms of betting/wagering.
madmarck
1/30/08 12:23:14PM

Posted by Rush

They are on undercard fights much of the time. IT doesnt matter whether a fight is main card or under. The closest bout is deemed the hot bout.

And i say leave it the way it is. Double points isnt that much more if you only pick the fighter correctly (10) and if you can predict it perfectly you deserve 11 more points. That being said i am 2-0 in hot bouts this season with 14 points from one and 22 from the other.
DoTheMMAth
1/30/08 12:40:12PM
TBH, I doubt that the way the hot bout works will be changed for the next season. As mentioned in the other topic on the same subject, the primary purpose of the hot bout is to add some top-score differentiation. The fact that this function also performs as a fun little site caveat is just a fringe benefit.
tap_or_snap
1/30/08 1:49:56PM
It seems the overwhelming concensus is to keep things the way they are which is fair enough, the majority rules after all.

I still feel 22 pts on one fight is excessive, i wouldnt be so against double points on just the fight winner (+5) but double on method, round and the exact pick bonus just feels excessive to me.

Im not too sure of the legitamacy of the statement that double points on the hot bout helps create some differentiation at the top end of the spectrum as any very close bout would do that even if only standard points were on offer but people like it so it should stay.

It is getting more and more regular to see 3+ very competitive bouts on a card and i guess i just dont like the idea of someone getting as many points from picking one less bout than someone else which is why i thought that a system more like the +2 for underdogs would make things a bit fairer but hey people dont like the idea so thats cool.

On a side note i just checked my secondary league profile and overall i am
3-11 on hot bouts, i thought that was quite humorous .
madmarck
1/31/08 12:17:45PM

Posted by tap_or_snap

It seems the overwhelming concensus is to keep things the way they are which is fair enough, the majority rules after all.

That only works in a democracy.