Vitor fighting at UFC Brazil?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Vitor fighting at UFC Brazil?
pmoney
8/7/11 3:52:31PM
I hope so! Dana said himself, Vitor took no damage in the fight, he is ready to go..... Anyone want to see it? Or rather, how many of you want to see it? Who would you pick for his opponent if you could make this match, just three weeks out?
Patchedup15
8/7/11 4:02:31PM
there is no good matchup for him at 134 unless someone gets hurt.. i think this is a terrible idea.. he has to realize that itd be a stupid career move at this point... even a win would only slow his momentum bc itd be against lower level competition..
Budgellism
8/7/11 4:03:57PM
I'd like to see Belcher since he's fighting a month later anyways and if they called him he'd be too down.
FastKnockout
8/7/11 4:06:13PM
I was thinking about this last night after his win. I'd be excited if Belfort managed to make the card! What about letting Rousimar Palhares step up against Belfort? Dan Miller could find another opponent.
prophecy033
8/7/11 4:11:35PM

Posted by FastKnockout

I was thinking about this last night after his win. I'd be excited if Belfort managed to make the card! What about letting Rousimar Palhares step up against Belfort? Dan Miller could find another opponent.

to tell you the truth, I might actually wanna see Belfort Face Miller. It would be more exciting IMO. But a fight against Palhares would be good too. Maybe getting the winner down the road would be a better plan of attack for Belfort.
Budgellism
8/7/11 4:11:55PM
That would be pretty good too.
pmoney
8/7/11 4:15:37PM

Posted by FastKnockout

FastKnockout, you are on to something. Palhares-Belfort would be a crazy clash of styles. And we all know Dan Miller would probably fight Godzilla on three weeks notice.... If only they could make it happen...
FastKnockout
8/7/11 4:18:56PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by FastKnockout

to tell you the truth, I might actually wanna see Belfort Face Miller. It would be more exciting IMO. But a fight against Palhares would be good too. Maybe getting the winner down the road would be a better plan of attack for Belfort.

True. They're doing Brazil vs. the world anyway. Belfort vs. Miller would fit the storyline. Brazil vs. America instead of Brazil vs. Brazil.
prophecy033
8/7/11 4:58:13PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by FastKnockout

True. They're doing Brazil vs. the world anyway. Belfort vs. Miller would fit the storyline. Brazil vs. America instead of Brazil vs. Brazil.

those crazy brazilians wouldn't know who to cheer for if it was countryman vs countryman
kopower
8/7/11 5:53:27PM

Posted by Patchedup15

there is no good matchup for him at 134 unless someone gets hurt.. i think this is a terrible idea.. he has to realize that itd be a stupid career move at this point... even a win would only slow his momentum bc itd be against lower level competition..

I agree with this. Even though I'd love to see him fight, it wouldn't be the smartest move career wise. We all saw what happened to Story under a somewhat similar situation. I'm sure he'll be a big part of the organization's plans in Rio, just not fighting related.
KungFuMaster
8/7/11 6:21:12PM
I disagree with having Vitor fight on ufc 134.

Vitor has always overshadowed Anderson Silva. While Anderson has been on a tear in the octagon and is seemingly unstoppable at the moment, he was still second to Vitor in the eyes of Brazil.

From what I understand, Brazil is very prejudice and that prejudice has prevented Anderson Silva the spotlight he so dearly deserves. He is, without a doubt, a much better fighter than Vitor but due to his upbringing and the social class he came from, he may never be praised as much as Vitor.

This is Anderson Silva's time to shine and by placing Vitor on the card, it may take away some of the spotlight from Anderson. Some of you may not know the story behind Anderson Silva and Vitor Belfort - and if you do not, I encourage you to look it up or simply ask me and I will give a quick run down of the story.

Now back to the issue at hand - Dana probably wants Vitor to fight in Brazil due to the fact Vitor may prove to be a better PPV draw than Anderson Silva. From a business point, having Vitor fight at ufc 134 would be a great idea. From an ethical point, I would not allow Vitor to fight on this event and take away the publicity from the champion, Anderson Silva.

I give you guys this spill only to tell you I am picking Okami for ruining the party at ufc 134.

Have a great Sunday, Gentlemen.
prophecy033
8/7/11 8:26:50PM
When it comes right down to it, I could care less who gets the attention, its not about popularity, It's about putting on the best fights. Vitor makes the card better
DosBox
8/7/11 9:12:06PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Now back to the issue at hand - Dana probably wants Vitor to fight in Brazil due to the fact Vitor may prove to be a better PPV draw than Anderson Silva. From a business point, having Vitor fight at ufc 134 would be a great idea. From an ethical point, I would not allow Vitor to fight on this event and take away the publicity from the champion, Anderson Silva.

Hit the nail right on the head. Vitor is revered in Brazil. Wasnt the last time he fought in Brazil at UFC 17.5 back in 1998? He would absolutely jump on the opportunity to fight in Brazil.. and said as much in the post fight conference.

From a business point, Vitor would be great... and in terms of a fight card, it would also be a healthy addition to spice it up some more. I have a buddy in Brazil and he has told me that they they (semi-mainstream press and MMA community/press) are starting to warm up to Silva after that Belfort fight and is getting his dues.

Good for business, good for the card, good for the fans.. probably trumps the ethical point whether or not Vitor should be added to the card.. but you do bring up a very interesting point... if Vitor just straight merks his opponent Akiyama style and Anderson/Okami goes to a decision in a fairly uneventful fight.. it would definitely take the wind off the sails of Brazilian MMA community towards Anderson (especially if he loses).
40ouncetpkid
8/8/11 1:45:26PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

I disagree with having Vitor fight on ufc 134.

Vitor has always overshadowed Anderson Silva. While Anderson has been on a tear in the octagon and is seemingly unstoppable at the moment, he was still second to Vitor in the eyes of Brazil.

From what I understand, Brazil is very prejudice and that prejudice has prevented Anderson Silva the spotlight he so dearly deserves. He is, without a doubt, a much better fighter than Vitor but due to his upbringing and the social class he came from, he may never be praised as much as Vitor.

This is Anderson Silva's time to shine and by placing Vitor on the card, it may take away some of the spotlight from Anderson. Some of you may not know the story behind Anderson Silva and Vitor Belfort - and if you do not, I encourage you to look it up or simply ask me and I will give a quick run down of the story.

I give you guys this spill only to tell you I am picking Okami for ruining the party at ufc 134.

Have a great Sunday, Gentlemen.

It says I must spread the love first but very good post. I looked it up and if they would have marketed that story better, that fight would have been huge. If only everybody knew the background story.

I still think Vitor and then Okami have the best chances to beat Silva because of Vitors speed and power, and Okami's wrestling and he's never been submitted and he's faced world class grapplers.

It's good for the PPV buys if Vitor fights but if they wanna make Silva a star in Brazil its not the brightest move to have Vitor on there because in Brazil eyes his fight even if he fights a can, would be the main event to them. Don't agree with the people saying its bad for Belfort by slowing down momentum. Belfort hardly fights more then once or twice a year. Acitvity is good for anybody. The only way it's bad is to take a fight on 2 weeks notice against Silva, Okami, Chael or Munoz.