Vitor Belfort vs. Lyoto Machida possible... at middleweight

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Vitor Belfort vs. Lyoto Machida possible... at middleweight
FastKnockout
8/14/13 11:12:18AM
Vitor Belfort and Lyoto Machida could meet in the co-headliner of November's big UFC 167 event, but there's a twist.

Link
sparky
8/14/13 11:15:51AM
At MW, this fight just got a lot more exciting
GDPofMPG
8/14/13 11:17:33AM
The real twist is UFC 167 is in Vegas. No TRT for Vitor if he doesn't duck this.
Webbie
8/14/13 11:37:56AM
I can't begin to understand why Dana would be trying to get Machida to drop to middleweight to fight Vitor. Why should Machida have to do that? Is he even interested in fighting at middleweight? If this is something Machida wants to do for himself than good for him, but if this is something the UFC is trying to put together because of all of Vitor's ridiculous demands than I think they need to just tell Vitor to stop being such a bitch and fight someone already.
jjeans
8/14/13 11:48:15AM

Posted by Webbie

I can't begin to understand why Dana would be trying to get Machida to drop to middleweight to fight Vitor. Why should Machida have to do that? Is he even interested in fighting at middleweight? If this is something Machida wants to do for himself than good for him, but if this is something the UFC is trying to put together because of all of Vitor's ridiculous demands than I think they need to just tell Vitor to stop being such a bitch and fight someone already.

LINK

^ Machidas spoken about fighting at 185 before. In my opinion I think Machida would stand a solid chance of beating Weidman. He's not a big 205er, he isn't the strongest 205er either.

Vitor would come forward to attack Weidman which would give Weidman the chance to shoot or clinch up, Machida however, Weidman would have to be the aggressor and Machidas one hell of a stylistically nightmare.
Webbie
8/14/13 12:06:58PM

Posted by jjeans

Posted by Webbie

LINK

^ Machidas spoken about fighting at 185 before. In my opinion I think Machida would stand a solid chance of beating Weidman. He's not a big 205er, he isn't the strongest 205er either.

Vitor would come forward to attack Weidman which would give Weidman the chance to shoot or clinch up, Machida however, Weidman would have to be the aggressor and Machidas one hell of a stylistically nightmare.

Thank you. I feel better now

I think Machida's got the perfect style to beat Weidman as well, I just didn't know Machida was so willing to drop to 185. It sounded like the UFC was just trying to find someone for Vitor who he would actually be willing to fight. But like I said, if this is something Machida wants to do for himself, than good for him.
Chael_Sonnen
8/14/13 12:15:01PM
Machida looks winded at 205.....howz cutting to 85 going to improve his 'back pedal' approach?

////:::::::://////::::::::////////:::::::::::::::::
Weidman would smush Machida.
Bubbles
8/14/13 12:50:49PM
Machida never wanted to drop because Anderson was the champion. Now that his teammate got KTFO he can now drop a division
machodog76
8/14/13 1:17:22PM
This doesn't make much sense to me, vitor is a big middleweight and Lyoto is a small light heavyweight. why not just fight at 205 and neither guy has to cut weight?
prozacnation1978
8/14/13 1:25:45PM
Fuck.

Another year with no belfort fight appearances
Still have yet to see him fight live
DrivenDavies15
8/14/13 1:47:42PM
Really hope this fight works out. Very intriguing and a tough test for both guys.
airkerma
8/14/13 1:53:28PM
I thought Vitor wasn't fighting anyone but the champ at 185, this makes zero sense to me. Contrary to jokes at Machida's expense, it seems like Belfort is the one back peddling.
bjj1605
8/14/13 8:54:28PM
I think Machida takes this fight and anyone else at MW other than Anderson Silva.
infestructure
8/14/13 10:04:12PM

Posted by bjj1605

I think Machida takes this fight and anyone else at MW other than Anderson Silva.

Even Mr Anderson on a good day imo
sbulldavid
8/14/13 10:29:58PM
How would Silva have done if he fought at 205 and Machida fought at 185. Honestly Machida might still be undefeated and we'd be calling him the greatest of all time.
jjeans
8/15/13 6:13:16AM

Posted by sbulldavid

How would Silva have done if he fought at 205 and Machida fought at 185. Honestly Machida might still be undefeated and we'd be calling him the greatest of all time.

I don't know man. I think a lot of fighters, especially young ones set there sites on beating the best. If you have a champion who's been around for so many years these kids have gonna have trained from day 1 how to beat that guy. I think that's what we're seeing with the dominant champions at the moment guys who thought to themselves what do I need to do to beat the champion in my weight class.

Weidman had the Wrestling edge and went to go train BJJ, he didnt wanna end up like Lutter or Hendo and Chael and give Silva that 1 chance that cost them the fight.
Weidman made his debut post Silva/Sonnen and all we saw from him was what he wanted to do against Silva. Maul him with wrestling, dominating top game and showcase his BJJ, that he isn't gonna get caught but instead be catching people.
Hendricks is the same. These guys before they plan to fight any other UFC fighters think about the champion, deliberately or not, that's who they're aiming to beat.
Inbetween fights I guarantee Hendricks wasn't working his Muay Thai or Capoeira. He's been focusing on looking at GSPs Karate based striking and wrestling. He's had much much longer to prepare for GSP than GSPs had longer to prepare for him.

They say its easy to become a champion than defend a championship and this is a reason why. You're the guy who's people's sites are on, you're the guy people are breaking down and analysing.

Do you think Hendricks knows if he fails 2 takedowns stop trying because he saw what happened to Fitch? Yes

Machida is very very similar. If he was the champion for more than 3 years then the division may as well all sign up for Karate practise.
I put that as one of the reasons the WW division is a deathrow of wrestlers and the MW division isn't.
Because wrestling was a requirement against Hughes and GSP.
State_Champ
8/15/13 7:25:02AM

Posted by sparky

At MW, this fight just got a lot more exciting

Yes! Machida at MW!?! Cool.

Coincidence that this happens when Anderson is no longer champ?