Vitor Belfor and Wanderlei Silva named coaches of TUF: Brazil

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Vitor Belfor and Wanderlei Silva named coaches of TUF: Brazil
emfleek
12/13/11 11:37:08AM
Brazilian sluggers Vitor Belfort (20-9 MMA, 9-5 UFC) and Wanderlei Silva (34-11-1 MMA, 4-6 UFC) will serve as opposing coaches on "The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil."

UFC president Dana White today announced the selections during a pre-UFC 142 press conference in Rio de Janeiro.

The two will coach opposing teams on the first-ever international edition of "TUF," which in March debuts on Globo, and will oppose each other following the conclusion of the series.

Belfort will still face Anthony Johnson at January's UFC 134 event.

"The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil" will be produced by Brazilian firm Floresta and air as part of the UFC's broadcast deal with Globo. The series is expected to feature 12 taped episodes in addition to a live finale.

While FUEL TV is expected to air the show in the U.S., UFC president Dana White has yet to officially announce a stateside broadcast partner.

FULL STORY
FastKnockout
12/13/11 12:57:41PM
Even if Belfort loses against Johnson, most fans will still be eager to see the Belfort/Silva rematch.
Cooler
12/13/11 1:26:52PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Even if Belfort loses against Johnson, most fans will still be eager to see the Belfort/Silva rematch.

Either way that rematch should NOT happen. It was not a close fight in their primes and it wouldnt be a close fight in Wandys twilight. I love Wanderlei a lot but he would lose that fight hands down and making a rematch of a fight that wasnt close with a guy clearly near the end of his career is a stupid fight to make. The Leben vs Wand fight should be enough reason to believe that another Belfort fight is pointless.

I personally think they wont fight again because of schedualing.
Hendo67
12/13/11 1:40:09PM
Oh dear god, this won't be pretty for Wand...
Poor_Franklin
12/13/11 1:41:41PM
i love wandy. i really hope they don't offer him this fight. win or lose for belfort against rumble, i do not want to see this fight anymore.
MaxOne
12/13/11 1:44:23PM
I do not want to see this fight. Belfort has to be top 5 probably top 3 still....how does this make any sense? Are they trying to force Silva in to retirement?
prophecy033
12/13/11 1:46:28PM
If this fight happens, I'm gonna be fearing for Wanderlei's safety
FastKnockout
12/13/11 2:07:34PM
With the condition his chin is in, Wandy has a chance of getting knocked out by almost anyone in the division. I understand everyone's fear for his safety, but if he isn't going to retire, then I'd like to see him in exciting fights against guys like Belfort. It would be tragic to see Wandy ending his career fighting guys in lower levels of the division.
KungFuMaster
12/13/11 2:13:24PM
This fight is stylistically not good for Wanderlei. Vitor is an excellent puncher. Unlike most of Wanderlei's opponents, Vitor is fast with his hands.

Vitor should be the clear favorite but Wanderlei does have a fighting chance. Wanderlei's best bet is to rush forward and hopefully land one of his haymakers.

Either way, this fight should end quickly IMO.
isk
12/13/11 2:13:50PM
Losing my mind for the potential of the show. Wandy is super friendly and generous with his time, and he really does know some solid technique (even if he chooses to windmill punch most of the time). I don't know how capable of a coach Vitor is, but he's definitely personable and his technique is even better than Wandy's.

For the fight, I agree with the natural consensus in that Vitor will drink Wandy's milkshake. The only chance I see Wandy having is if he can lock up a Thai clinch while shoulder-rolling Vitor's punches in the clinch, but this is a huge longshot.
FR33B1RD
12/13/11 2:17:28PM
Like a different poster said, Belfort is close to another title shot and hasnt looked as good as he has since his early UFC days (ironically around the time when he knocked silva out). Meanwhile Wand is 4-6 with 4 KO losses in his last 10 fights. In large the fight doesnt look to make sense to most.

My biggest problem with the rematch now, is that I wanted the Belfort/Wandy rematch while Wandy was the Pride champ, when he was really getting into his stride, 2003-2005. But now is just a weird time in MMA history to try and make this rematch, almost like making Rampage vs Wandy 3, which had no gain for Wandy whatsoever. (Especially since Rampage should have still been champ fighting Rashad Evans on the card and it should have been Forrest vs Wand on UFC 92)
Theoutlaw08
12/13/11 2:59:13PM
This is pretty damn awesome. I hope they can both stay injury free.
Redkayak
12/13/11 3:33:25PM
what if johnson uses belfort head as a soccer ball
jae_1833
12/13/11 3:47:09PM
Perfect
Representatives for TUF Brazil!! Great work!!!
BuffaloDave
12/13/11 3:57:27PM
I really like the idea for both them as coaches, as they should make really good coaches for the show.

As for a fight between them, noway. Hoping for a non-serious injury to happen to Belfort while training for the fight with Wand. If it does go down, this will be the last time we see Wand in the UFC. I don't think he'll retire, but probably go back to Japan and fight.
40ouncetpkid
12/13/11 5:28:35PM
The big picture here i think the UFC is seeing is that Wandy and Belfort are the 2 MMA icons in Brazil. They just want another big fight for Brazil and it will pretty much be Belforts warm up for Anderson his stay active fight while The Spider fights most likely chael next summer.

If this is really happening i hope Anthony Johnson knocks Vitor out. So it doesnt look 10x the mismatch. I really wanted Wandy to atleast win one more winnable fight like a Bisping rematch before they fed him to Vitor which wascinevitable since Wandy wont retire and Dana tried to warn him.

But who knows this is MMA maybe wandy uses controled aggression can manage to take a few shots long enough to land something vicious on vitor. If Wandy ko'd belfort i think that would be the sickest win as a fan to get to see Wandy win one last huge meaningful fight. Its MMA tho and the future is never a lock. Injuries frequently plague them both so maybe somehow Wandy could put bisping to sleep!
shaneTpain
12/13/11 5:55:42PM
This fight will make more sense after Rumble destroys Vitor
sbulldavid
12/13/11 7:52:37PM
I don't like this fight, Vitor has nothing to gain by fighting Wandy.
mrsmiley
12/13/11 8:29:08PM
I'm betting Vitor wins this all day though stranger things have happened.
It seems like Vitor is either all over the fight or completely out of it.
Either way should be a great season.
GSPCanada
12/13/11 10:54:09PM
probably the worst matchup for wanderlei in the entire division other than anderson. the 1 type of fight wanderlei can't have is against someone with major punching power i felt he could beat cung le because cung le is explosive, relentless, and unpredictable, but not necessarily the hardest puncher, throw in belforts hand speed and this is just trouble. not happy bout the matchup at all
Franklinfan47
12/13/11 11:25:21PM
Mismatch? Maybe.

But will be one hell of a season
grappler0000
12/14/11 2:14:01AM

Posted by Franklinfan47

Mismatch? Maybe.

But will be one hell of a season

+1
prozacnation1978
12/14/11 8:18:06AM
Glad I have fuel tv to watch the show
Should be good. They probably will fight in brazil event in may/june at the stadium as co main event to silva fight
UFC_Fanatic
12/14/11 12:52:25PM

Posted by isk

Losing my mind for the potential of the show. Wandy is super friendly and generous with his time, and he really does know some solid technique (even if he chooses to windmill punch most of the time). I don't know how capable of a coach Vitor is, but he's definitely personable and his technique is even better than Wandy's.

For the fight, I agree with the natural consensus in that Vitor will drink Wandy's milkshake. The only chance I see Wandy having is if he can lock up a Thai clinch while shoulder-rolling Vitor's punches in the clinch, but this is a huge longshot.

At this stage of Wandy's career, not only would he drink Wandy's milkshake, but he'd steal his fries, and eat his cheeseburger too. As a huge fan of Wandy, I may have just died a little inside by admitting that.
If this fight were to have happened again with Pride era Wandy when he was in his prime, it is a rematch I would have been salivating over, but with the state of Wandy's chin now, and the stage of his career that he is in, I'm not really interested in it. I would much rather just see Wandy retire and go out on a win.
Boo_Radley21
12/15/11 1:37:21PM
Wow I really don't like this fight. A recent title contender and still very skilled fighter in Belfort takes on a retiring way past his prime Wanderlei whose chin has all but left him? Bad move