Vince McMahon: UFC Has Hurt Boxing, Not WWE

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Vince McMahon: UFC Has Hurt Boxing, Not WWE
Wolfenstein
3/26/09 2:39:21PM
In an interview with the Hollywood Reporter in advance of WrestleMania XXV, McMahon talked about the UFC.

"Most people thought at one point that we would be competitors. But it turns out they are not competition to us at all, or hardly at all. They are sport, we are entertainment; it's a huge difference. The revenue they have cut into is that of boxing."

link
emfleek
3/26/09 2:41:56PM
Vince is wrong.

BOXING has hurt boxing.
Red-Dragon
3/26/09 2:53:35PM

Posted by emfleek

Vince is wrong.

BOXING has hurt boxing.

You and Vince are wrong.

The promoters have hurt boxing.
emfleek
3/26/09 2:54:25PM

Posted by Red-Dragon

You and Vince are wrong.

Promoters = part of boxing
lohmann
3/26/09 2:55:15PM
I think McMahon is only partially right. While most sports entertainment watchers fit into the 18-34 male demographic the UFC draws on too, I think the WWE has a market Zuffa will never be able to tap with people even younger than that. But it's also hard to not notice the WWE's leaking pay-per-view buys while, in comparison, MMA is now the yearly pay-per-view purchases king.

(Also: boxing needs to take some advice from the UFC who implemented a WWE sort of marketing/promotional strategy. Boxing, as emfleek said, is hurting boxing.)
Subterfuge
3/26/09 3:00:56PM
The only way wrestling can be hurt is with better schools and teachers across the world, and for a lot of dudes to move out of their parents basement.
Red-Dragon
3/26/09 3:05:02PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Red-Dragon

You and Vince are wrong.

Yes but I think it is wrong to say boxing as a whole has hurt boxing. There are certain corrupt aspects involved in boxing but the sport itself and the fans for instance have no reflection on it's current situation.
Tein_Lung
3/26/09 4:17:25PM
I kinda thing hes right in that MA won't hurt WWE... the people who watch WWE are the ones for the most part too dumb to understand its fake... much less have the bain power to understand a real fight...

MMA won't hurt fake fighting... it won't hurt boxing because boxing was dead even before Tyson tried to eat part of holyfield... that just brought it back in the news for a little while...
Tein_Lung
3/26/09 4:18:27PM

Posted by Red-Dragon

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Red-Dragon

You and Vince are wrong.

Yes but I think it is wrong to say boxing as a whole has hurt boxing. There are certain corrupt aspects involved in boxing but the sport itself and the fans for instance have no reflection on it's current situation.

your assuming boxing still has fans...
chitownsfinest15
3/26/09 5:01:19PM
does anyone really care what Vince McMahon says anymore?!? i mean back in like the 5th grade I would listen but who cares now....
matt_black
3/26/09 5:02:04PM
i'm living proof that mma and the ufc in particular has hurt the wwe. Back in 2005 i was a huge wwe fan, and had no idea what an armbar was. Then one of my buddies showed me gsp vs mayhem and i turned on wwe in a matter of 15 min. Now i look at and cant help but laugh at how into it i really used to be. I'm sure it has turned many other ppl in the same direction
lohmann
3/26/09 5:06:20PM

Posted by chitownsfinest15

does anyone really care what Vince McMahon says anymore?!? i mean back in like the 5th grade I would listen but who cares now....

With the exception of the inability to launch the XFL, it's hard to deny the guy has business savvy. He's cornered a market and made a billion dollars doing so. Even if he's wrong, I don't think he comes with opinions that should be ignored immediately.
Red-Dragon
3/26/09 5:10:20PM

Posted by Tein_Lung

Posted by Red-Dragon

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Red-Dragon

You and Vince are wrong.

your assuming boxing still has fans...

It does and I am one of them.
bls1919
3/26/09 5:42:18PM

Posted by emfleek

Vince is wrong.

BOXING has hurt boxing. [/QUOTE

Maybe the best response ever. MMA has just made competition.
warglory
3/26/09 5:50:56PM

Posted by Tein_Lung

I kinda thing hes right in that MA won't hurt WWE... the people who watch WWE are the ones for the most part too dumb to understand its fake... much less have the bain power to understand a real fight...

MMA won't hurt fake fighting... it won't hurt boxing because boxing was dead even before Tyson tried to eat part of holyfield... that just brought it back in the news for a little while...

Dude, no one thinks wrestling is real nor do they watch it for "sport." Be realistic.
Tein_Lung
3/26/09 5:52:04PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by Tein_Lung

Dude, no one thinks wrestling is real nor do they watch it for "sport." Be realistic.

tell that to the majority of WWE fans and listen to their reactions... honestly man its suprising i know but there is a great majority of stupid people in the world... and some do think wrestling is real
bls1919
3/26/09 6:16:10PM
Vince might be blowing smoke. With the economy the way it is, a fan of both MMA and WWE would have to pick which PPVs to get. It would all hinge on the consumer. But i bet that a lot have stopped getting the WWE PPVs to get UFC instead. REAL fighting, REAL blood, REAL emotions, REAL finishes. I would hope most of them would....but heres for hoping to the hopeless.
prozacnation1978
3/26/09 6:18:37PM
i loved wwf and wcw when i was in grade school,

mma is real, wwe isn't looking back now i feel foolish about watching it, knowing it was fake, and all, but man has wrestling from the 80's and 90's changed since 2000

with that one last prop to wrestling

war!!!! the hulk hogan's, sting, the ultimate warrior, and my personnal favorite wrestler brutus the barber beefcake!!!!!!!!!!!!
bls1919
3/26/09 6:44:10PM
Hell yeah Prozac. My personal faves growing up were Beefcake, Junk Yard Dog, Hacksaw Jim Dougan. I cant even stand to flip past todays wrestling. it pains me to see a man like Jimmie "Superfly" Snuka beat dowm by Chris Jericho( a kid at work told me, I had to confirm). All I have to say is that Bruno SanMartino is rolling over in his grave!
ncordless
3/26/09 8:55:14PM

Posted by Subterfuge

The only way wrestling can be hurt is with better schools and teachers across the world, and for a lot of dudes to move out of their parents basement.

That is funny.
mrsmiley
3/26/09 9:27:03PM
I got a lot of respect for wrestling.
It's a physical form of art that takes talent to master.
Is wrestling real?
Of course not,but that's not the point anyway.

I would say MMA hasn't hurt wrestling a lot.
Maybe a little, but their's something wrestling can do and has done that MMA has yet to do.

That's bring us a champion that transends the sport (or entertainment), and become a major staple of pop culture.
MMA has desperatley tried to do this, but always falls short.
As of yet, their's not one Mixed Martial Artist that has had the main stream appeal of Hulk Hugan, Stone Cold Steve Austin, or the Rock. I doubt one has had the appeal of John Cena either,and he's been the weakest champion,imo, the WWE has had in a long time.

I'm not saying the UFC won't ever produce a champion of that calibur, but their's a road block in the way.

The WWE can build their wrestlers to become champions.
The UFC can only produce the opprotunity to do so.
No matter how marketable a UFC fighter may be, his fight is not a fixed outcome.
One fight can derail his entire career.

This is not true of the WWE, which can produce wrestlers that reflect our current culture and build them into champions.Making them pop culture stars.

The fact is that the WWE has had rough spells in the past and will probably have them in the future.MMA I believe is very irrelevant to the WWE's current state. And even if it is, I believe it will only be temporary.
If anything, guys like Lesnar have proven valuable athletic gems that go the wrestling route may prove to be the MMA stars of tommorow.
And the UFC would love to get their hands on names that already have star power to them. This elimates the UFC's problem of having to attempt to build up a fighter through dangerous waters.
So what if the former pro wrestler is a bust?
If he brings in giant PPV buys he's a cash cow and a meal ticket to easy money.

I believe this is a case were both Pro Wrestling and MMA will both mutaly help eachother.
innovater450
3/27/09 7:27:09AM
If anything, the WWE is helping mma....WWE stars crossing over into mma is just gonna draw the WWE fans away. When i was younger i always wanted to know who would win in a real fight between some of my favorite wrestlers, and who the real bad a$$es were in wrestling.....With guys like lesnar and lashley transitioning into mma and it working out, i hope more wrestlers take notice and follow the trend. The couture v. lesnar fight was one of the most hyped fights in recent memory. Who else would get a title shot after a loss to mir and a win to a fading herring?? Why?? because of his fame and hype in the WWE........Hopefully Kurt angle jumps on the wagon soon.
warglory
3/28/09 1:15:44AM

Posted by bls1919

Hell yeah Prozac. My personal faves growing up were Beefcake, Junk Yard Dog, Hacksaw Jim Dougan. I cant even stand to flip past todays wrestling. it pains me to see a man like Jimmie "Superfly" Snuka beat dowm by Chris Jericho( a kid at work told me, I had to confirm). All I have to say is that Bruno SanMartino is rolling over in his grave!

Apparently you have never seen Chris Jericho perform. He is an amazing performer and one of the best mic men in the business.