What is your view on UFC's possible purchase of PRIDE?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » What is your view on UFC's possible purchase of PRIDE?
POLL: If UFC buy's PRIDE, is this....
Good for the sport 61% (20)
Bad for the sport 12% (4)
Undecided 27% (9)
tomp6581
3/21/07 12:17:39PM
I personally think it would be good for the sport, and for mma fans, to see the best fighters fight each other more often. I would like to see how everyone else feels...
nellyhiphophead
3/21/07 12:34:29PM
Undecided: for me it matters what we see form it. what i would like to see is ufc use pride like they do with the wec and use it as a drawing pool for new fighters and fighters that have loss a few in a row. and then just have the ufc as the top. where the best meat the best and show who is the best in the world. i think pride would lose some of it's size but i think you could still do real well cause there is so many fighters out there that you could make some real good cards for pride wec and the ufc would be crazy. you just keep the price of the pride and wec cards down at like 25 or somethign i think you would get alot of ppl picking them up cause they are at such a good price. with them all together you could place events all over the world. it could be the best thing ever for mma.
mmadb
3/21/07 12:34:41PM
Sure it would be great for the fans but I'm on the fence as to whether it would be good for the sport. If I had the belief that the UFC would adopt some things, hell, ANYTHING that Pride does I may have hope but I really think they would Americanize it and that would kind of kill it for me a little. Don't get me wrong, I'd still watch every damn thing I can get my hands on but I just enjoy Pride's shows much more and you know it would change into just more of the same UFC.

Besides competition is good for business in most cases and who would be their contender if Pride goes the way of the dodo. Hero's? Not likely although I would like to see them step up their game. IFL? Fat chance. Decent concept but it's no real competition. Elite XC? Maybe one day but not when you do a show every 4 months or whatever it's been now.

That's my 2 cents.
pv3Hpv3p
3/21/07 1:59:53PM
I had to vote undecided as well... It all depends on how the UFC uses Pride? Or if they leave it it's own entity...

I think the one thing about always wanting dream matches to happen, was that they never really did... And that leads to mass speculation as to whom would win and so on... All that waiting and arguing and the rumors, etc seemed to really build the hype...

One of the best things about Chuck / Wandy was talking about Chuck / Wandy... It forces us to look more at the fighter and his certain strengths and weaknesses and compare him to what we know of the other...

And that it was made the fight that much more intregueing...

If the UFC or the Fertitta Bros or whoever, can capture that essence of tension that builds between these dream matchups...

It will be glorious days for all fans of MMA...
nellyhiphophead
3/21/07 2:23:51PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I had to vote undecided as well... It all depends on how the UFC uses Pride? Or if they leave it it's own entity...

I think the one thing about always wanting dream matches to happen, was that they never really did... And that leads to mass speculation as to whom would win and so on... All that waiting and arguing and the rumors, etc seemed to really build the hype...

One of the best things about Chuck / Wandy was talking about Chuck / Wandy... It forces us to look more at the fighter and his certain strengths and weaknesses and compare him to what we know of the other...

If the UFC or the Fertitta Bros or whoever, can capture that essence of tension that builds between these dream matchups...

i would rather see those matter then just dream of them.
pv3Hpv3p
3/21/07 5:12:29PM

Posted by nellyhiphophead

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

i would rather see those matter then just dream of them.

I would also like to see the fights, as would anyone...

All I was trying to say, is that it seems to build a lot of hype (wanting matches and not sure if you'll ever see them), and in turn the UFC's hype machine has a lot to do with the exponential gowth of MMA...

Sooo...
tberg420
3/22/07 5:41:36PM
I see this bad for the sport because there would be no competition. I know that people hate to compare this to wrestling but the ultimate end of wrestling was when WCW went under. If you've watched a WWE show in the last couple of years you know what I'm talking about.
Manfred
3/22/07 11:32:56PM
I voted bad because I think it's bad for the fighters more than anything. With no real major org. out there, they have no real negotiating leverage.

I don't want it to be a talent pool either. The best part about PRIDE is it's stable of fighters. It would be an insult to demote them.

The best situation would be separate but equal. (bad choice of words maybe) I'd like to see a "Super-PPV" matching champ on champ at the end of the year.
kerazzle
3/22/07 11:52:30PM
I donno, on the upside we get to see the superfights we've always wanted. On the downside, its never good to have a monopoly like that for zuffa. i also like the Japanese flavour and showmanship of the Pride events and would hate to see that go.
ac_gi
3/23/07 1:01:39AM
The best fighters should be under one roof. If the MLB, NFL and NHL can do it, so can MMA.
Manfred
3/23/07 1:31:11AM

Posted by ac_gi

The best fighters should be under one roof. If the MLB, NFL and NHL can do it, so can MMA.

I understand your point, but in those sports the players can switch teams if the onwner doesn't give them what he wants contract-wise. Not the case with one owner.
ac_gi
3/23/07 1:40:07AM

Posted by Manfred

Posted by ac_gi

I understand your point, but in those sports the players can switch teams if the onwner doesn't give them what he wants contract-wise. Not the case with one owner.

I never really thought about that, but there are other places to go, while you hold out for more money. IFL, EliteXC etc. Most likely the new UFC will offer more money than any other org anyway.

Good point though.

Manfred
3/23/07 1:45:42AM

Posted by ac_gi

Posted by Manfred

Posted by ac_gi

I never really thought about that, but there are other places to go, while you hold out for more money. IFL, EliteXC etc. Most likely the new UFC will offer more money than any other org anyway.

Good point though.

I think a lot of top tier guys would equate them to the "bush" leagues, but at least they (BoDog & Elite XC) have the cash, for now...
AchillesHeel
3/23/07 9:20:47AM

Posted by Manfred

The best situation would be separate but equal. (bad choice of words maybe)

I agree. Dana White has said that, if he were in charge of PRIDE in addition to the UFC, he would leave PRIDE more-or-less alone and operate it as a separate organization. The quote from Sakakibara today is that PRIDE employees will be keeping their jobs which, if true, is good news. If I have to hear Mike Goldberg announcing PRIDE fights I may slit my wrists.

I'd like to see a "Super-PPV" matching champ on champ at the end of the year.

This is really where the rubber meets the road, as far as fans are concerned. I agree with you again, "Shockwave" would be a perfect venue for some cross-promotion antics. Also, UFC fighters could be invited into the annual Grand Prix, and any fighter who has hit a wall in one organization could more easily move to the other.
fedorwins1
3/23/07 9:40:11AM
I believe this is great for MMA, the fighters will start making more money, cause ppl want to see champs vs champs, and the best fighters are fighting the best fighters and hopefully they can get rid of the freakshow matchs altogether.
Rush
3/23/07 10:12:29AM
I don't know what to think of this. If the sale does go through, what will happen?

Will Pride be dismantled? Will it continue on as usual? Call me cynical, but I can't see the #2 option happening, at least not without a mass exodus/removal of their good fighters.

IMO, if Dana White has anything to do with it, I don't think we'll see champs vs. champs in any "UFC" owned organization.

I always liked Pride for putting in the best vs the best. I feel that the UFC doesn't do it often enough, despite having PPV events on a monthly basis now.
fedorwins1
3/23/07 11:29:19AM

Posted by Rush

I don't know what to think of this. If the sale does go through, what will happen?

Will Pride be dismantled? Will it continue on as usual? Call me cynical, but I can't see the #2 option happening, at least not without a mass exodus/removal of their good fighters.

IMO, if Dana White has anything to do with it, I don't think we'll see champs vs. champs in any "UFC" owned organization.

I always liked Pride for putting in the best vs the best. I feel that the UFC doesn't do it often enough, despite having PPV events on a monthly basis now.

Zulu vs Fedor was deff. a best vs a best right
nellyhiphophead
3/23/07 11:36:27AM

Posted by fedorwins1

Posted by Rush

Zulu vs Fedor was deff. a best vs a best right

ya i feel the same pride has some of the best fighters and have made some real good matches. but then they have such odd fights like zul vs fedor, or even mark vs fedor and alot of others. and you can't say the ufc hasn't made there best fighters fight each other. ok i will give you that they like to build some fighters up more then they shold be but hey it works and at lest you can see whats comign up next for the fighter after the fight. not like in pride you have no clue whats the next match is going to be for the champ or anyone in pride.
ryderstrong69
3/24/07 9:15:11AM
i love it i always said pride was the wcw of mma and i have been proven right
tberg420
3/24/07 2:33:37PM
Yeah they could be the WCW of MMA minus the whole more talent thing. I still to this day will refuse to admit or believe that Pride has more talent. They are stronger then the UFC in some weight classes but weaker in others. I'm personally hoping that this doesn't ruin the sport because a monopoly is never a good thing. Just look at wrestling now-a-days..
gspfan31
3/24/07 3:24:18PM
undecided, i'll have to see how zuffa runs pride to make up my mind
brodieros
3/25/07 10:47:21PM
I think it really ends up being an awesome thing for the sport. the matches we would get to see we could only dream of before and if the current owners couldn't handle their business than it proves who the super bowl of MMA is. this would also give the other MMA orgs a chance to grow...