Video: Slo-Mo of Lesnar back of the head shots

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Video: Slo-Mo of Lesnar back of the head shots
Manfred
2/5/08 3:51:33AM
Five times, nice catch by the 'stache. I thought it was just the two at the end.

LINK
ChokeUout
2/5/08 4:14:23AM
Haha, That clip doesn't lie....

Props for finding this

and LOL @ "Give Captain Mustache a break!"
cloppio
2/5/08 4:36:06AM
yeah nice find. i thought it was only 2 but you can clearly see it

good job to the mazz!
Jackelope
2/5/08 4:38:40AM
Wow I didn't believe he had warned him, but upon replaying and listening closely during the crowd cheer right after 1,2,3 you really can hear mazzagatti saying "Watch the head!"
zephead
2/5/08 8:19:02AM
Why do people doubt "The Stache"?
cmill21
2/5/08 8:41:45AM
Steven...your awsome.
JimiMak
2/5/08 10:08:50AM
Def wasn't five clean shots to the back of the head, a couple on the side some of you guys are counting. Mir also kept tucking his head to intentionally take them on the back of the head. Maybe that was just smart for him to do. Still shoulda been warned not stood up, still prob'ly wouldn't have changed the outcome. So it really doens't matter.
Kracker_Jap
2/5/08 10:24:28AM
No way in my opinion the back of the head doesn't start from the center of the ears back !!!

Fighter should have been warned first before stand up and point deduct.

Plues are you guys considering the fact he has 3x hands clearly 2 of the X's were on the side of the head and only 1 X on the back

Come on you all should know this
tuvok500
2/5/08 11:53:41AM
Good call by the ref !!

ocho-cinco
2/5/08 1:54:53PM
Glad I saw this. I thought it was bullshit the first time.
Jackelope
2/5/08 1:57:54PM
Wow, someone brings slo-mo proof of the stuff happening, you can hear the ref saying "watch the back of the head!" and people are still questioning the call. Unbelievable! Un-*******-believable if I can go that far.

Mir was "intentionally" tucking his head? No shit! What would you do if Brock Lesnar was on top of you hitting you in the head? Sit there and take it on the button? LOL ROFL LMAO and every other kind of e-laugh. Maybe it was smart? There is no maybe. That's playing the game and it was very smart.
jiujitsufreak74
2/5/08 2:21:45PM

Posted by Manfred

Five times, nice catch by the 'stache. I thought it was just the two at the end.

LINK

you see. i was telling you guys that it was at least 4 and you all mocked me...i told you i was right and most of you shunned me. i am glad that this can be cleared up now at least just a little bit because i was sick of all the people saying, "he only hit him once" when i very clearly saw at least 4. in the end the truth will reveal itself i suppose

Posted by Jackelope

Wow, someone brings slo-mo proof of the stuff happening, you can hear the ref saying "watch the back of the head!" and people are still questioning the call. Unbelievable! Un-*******-believable if I can go that far.

Mir was "intentionally" tucking his head? No shit! What would you do if Brock Lesnar was on top of you hitting you in the head? Sit there and take it on the button? LOL ROFL LMAO and every other kind of e-laugh. Maybe it was smart? There is no maybe. That's playing the game and it was very smart.

this is my belief exactly. i 200% agree with this statement and wish i could prop you but i cannot. it is really funny how people are still disputing this call after video evidence is shown of the warning and the 5 blows. btw, according to th rules rabbit punches consist of blows to the back of the neck and the base of the skull which encompass the area from ear to ear on the reversed side of your head. therefor all 5 of these punches can been classified as rabbit punches and thus illegal.
madfrog0
2/5/08 3:21:32PM
lol, very nice!!
gsquat
2/5/08 3:58:36PM
Nice video. I still think a stop then warning should've been in order. Then if it happened again... 1 point.
DevonFoxy
2/5/08 4:54:00PM
I was wrong. Glad i saw this.
wolfman
2/5/08 5:27:01PM

Posted by Jackelope

I agree with the majority and what you say here. However, my only problem with it is that I have never seen anyone get stopped and stood up and lose a point immediately. I have a problem with this because I have seen several fighters in the UFC hit someone in the back of the head and repeatedly do so even when warned, as witnessed here. Yet, they never get stopped and stood up immediately. That is why I dislike the call. I know, Brock is huge and can inflict more damage than the average man. Yet, we forget how big Mir is as well. So, I think the call is fine, as long as it is consistent throughout all of the weight classes. I am not trying to be stubborn, I am just stating my opinion. I hope this doesn't piss anyone off, I just feel the calls should be more consistent.
Diamondback2
2/5/08 5:31:43PM
well im glad someone finlly figured this out lol. i was getting sick of this argument.
gsquat
2/5/08 5:37:34PM

Posted by wolfman

Posted by Jackelope

I agree with the majority and what you say here. However, my only problem with it is that I have never seen anyone get stopped and stood up and lose a point immediately. I have a problem with this because I have seen several fighters in the UFC hit someone in the back of the head and repeatedly do so even when warned, as witnessed here. Yet, they never get stopped and stood up immediately. That is why I dislike the call. I know, Brock is huge and can inflict more damage than the average man. Yet, we forget how big Mir is as well. So, I think the call is fine, as long as it is consistent throughout all of the weight classes. I am not trying to be stubborn, I am just stating my opinion. I hope this doesn't piss anyone off, I just feel the calls should be more consistent.

That what I said. My posts are always either overlooked or ignored.
wolfman
2/5/08 5:44:15PM

Posted by gsquat

Posted by wolfman

Posted by Jackelope

That what I said. My posts are always either overlooked or ignored.

No, not really. I read your post and you said, "I still think a STOP then a warning should've been in order. Then if it happened again... 1 point." I disagree that it should've been stopped. He should have given a second warning and if Brock continued to hit Mir in the back of the head, then the fight should have been stopped and stood up.

EDIT: Also, wasn't Tibau hitting Griffin in the back of the head like 5 or 6 times and Steve continuously warned him but he never stopped Tibau. I will have to rewatch that fight, but I remembered that happening. All I'm saying is the ref calling needs to be consistent...
evilpimp
2/5/08 6:05:30PM
very nice find didnt know mir was hit 5 times i thought maybe 1 or 2
Rush
2/5/08 11:11:49PM
Nice find, however, to play devil's advocate, hit 4 was on the shoulder. Hits 1-3 I think are subjective decisions as to whether they are to the back of the head.... as with a number of instances.

I agree the warnings were warranted, but I'm still not convinced on the stoppage and point deduction.
cmill21
2/5/08 11:25:15PM
I think if he warned him it was deserved. I do think the stoppage was awsome, you can seriously hurt people with shots to the back of the head.
slick781
2/6/08 12:39:14AM
It doesnt matter how many punches hit him in the back of the head... the two major points that have everyone so pissed off are:

1- Mazz, nor any of the other refs, that most can remember, have ever caused any break in action for punches to the back of the head. Fact is, he warned about 5 or 6 times in the tibeau fight and never caused any break.

2- Mir turned into all of those punches, as Brock is already reigning down hammerfists, he had some serious momentum going there. To those who argue "Wouldnt you turn your head too?" I would say if rabbit punches are SO dangerous, then hell NO I wouldn't... and if the punches were that dangerous and caused by Mir turning into them, why wouldn't Mir be the one punished for not "intelligently" defending himself?

Fact is, people are going to be pissed off about this for a long time. UFC fans are generally used to all fighters getting a fair shake, which is why there is so much outrage when things like this and bisping/hamill happen.

From the beginning it just felt like Maz was out to get Lesnar, from the time he gave instructions, to the standup and parading Lesnar around like an ass (I've seen plenty of point deductions that did not include holding the fighters hand in the air and walking them in a circle), to the what APPEARED to be a delayed stoppage. Now you can argue that all those things were just perception, but they were perceptions shared by alot of fans.
Jackelope
2/6/08 2:53:56AM

Posted by wolfman

Posted by Jackelope

Fair enough, and in retrospect my opinions are a little harsh on this so I apologize if I came off as condescending and a bit... colorful.

I think after everyone reads the 'stache interview which was posted in the news forum they'll see a lot of his reasoning. Anybody who does BJJ in an MMA sense or even in a strictly BJJ sense knows that sucking up into your opponents torso and tucking in is "intelligently defending yourself" That's just a part of BJJ. It's a rule in the sport, and personally I can't find a way to criticize it.

As for the stache taking the point away and all I don't see how it relates because Mir didn't lose by points. The standup I can see being thought of as a little excessive, but as I've mentioned before Lesnar had no problem getting him right back into the same position so it is an inconsequential thing. If Lesnar had scored the win then you'd have an argument just as loud on the other side of the coin saying Mazz should have stood them up and given Mir time to recover. What he did was cleared the entire situation up, brought it back to an even playing field, and let the fight continue. Brock got the fight back in the same position, this time minus the back of the head strikes, and he got subbed. Sounds like a fair deal to me.
Flip
2/6/08 7:38:18AM
I was so pissed to see Lesnar lose especially in this way but I guess it is for the best because if he would have won all the douchebag WWE fans would think their shit is real.
wolfman
2/6/08 1:16:47PM

Posted by Jackelope

Fair enough, and in retrospect my opinions are a little harsh on this so I apologize if I came off as condescending and a bit... colorful.

I think after everyone reads the 'stache interview which was posted in the news forum they'll see a lot of his reasoning. Anybody who does BJJ in an MMA sense or even in a strictly BJJ sense knows that sucking up into your opponents torso and tucking in is "intelligently defending yourself" That's just a part of BJJ. It's a rule in the sport, and personally I can't find a way to criticize it.

As for the stache taking the point away and all I don't see how it relates because Mir didn't lose by points. The standup I can see being thought of as a little excessive, but as I've mentioned before Lesnar had no problem getting him right back into the same position so it is an inconsequential thing. If Lesnar had scored the win then you'd have an argument just as loud on the other side of the coin saying Mazz should have stood them up and given Mir time to recover. What he did was cleared the entire situation up, brought it back to an even playing field, and let the fight continue. Brock got the fight back in the same position, this time minus the back of the head strikes, and he got subbed. Sounds like a fair deal to me.

You bring up good points, I just disagree with what is in bold. I think Mazz should have reset them in the center of the octagon instead of having them both stand up. I know Lesnar did get in the same position after the stand up and he did end up getting subbed, yet he was never in the same dominant position as he was before. I know there are a lot of what ifs, I just think that in that dominant first position he would have been able to eventually TKO Mir. Yet, of course this is all speculation, I just think he was in a more dominant position before the second ground and pound attempt (When he stood up, he got subbed). Who knows, even if they were reset in the center the same think would have happened, I just really disagree with the stoppage and the stand up, it gave Mir the advantage as it allowed him time to recover and swung the momentum in his favor, this is just my opinion. It was an exciting fight and I am glad Mir won, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Mostly due to the fact that most fighters, like Tibau, as mentioned previously are giving multiple warnings with no stoppages involved.
g_t_12
2/11/08 10:36:19PM
Granted, Lesnar obviously hit Mir in the head. But I still think Steve Mazzi was a little anxious. He seems way too quick to condemn any head hits, despite the fact that it usually means whomever is on the bottom is losing in a serious way.

An example, and I wish I could find a video of it (watch VS though, and you'll probably see it replayed every 3 hours or so) is the WEC 29 match between Jamie Varner and Sherron Leggit. Varner gives Leggit a mega slam, and takes Leggits back. Leggit thrashes his head like he's having a seizure, which makes Varner miss a few shots and maybe land a couple punches to the side/rear of Leggit's nugget.

Mazzagotti gives a warning, and before Varner's brain can properly process it, stands them up and deducts a point from Jamie. Varner still wins, but the Lesnar fight looked almost identical to this situation.

My rule: If you can successfully punch an opponent in the back of the head, you should win. If it's so dangerous, like Steve seems to think, that means that any opponent doing it obviously has the fight already won. If you dont agree, and it shouldn't be considered serious enough to grant a win by ref stoppage (just as getting punched unprotected anywhere else does) then doesnt that mean the ref overreacted?
(I'm not completely serious on this one...)
Silent-Sir
2/13/08 4:41:59PM
It seems to me that Mir turned into a lot of those. About half of them seemed to be to the side of the head or neck. Yes, Lesnar did hit Mir in the back of the head a couple times, but not enough to deserve a point deduction. I know Mazzagatti, a.k.a. "The Stache" (great nickname by the way), stated in an interview with MMAjunkie.com that he had warned Lesnar before he deducted a point. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't, I can't say for sure. Either way, I think he should have stood them up, given Lesnar a clear warning, and restarted the fight in the center of the cage. This is just my opinion and I'm sure others will disagree with me.