Video of me shadowboxing

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Video of me shadowboxing
fedorwins1
6/14/07 1:00:53PM
Alright here is a short video of me shadowboxing. Any tips would be appreciated. Oh yea sorry no sound, I don't have a videocamera, so I had to record it on a digitalcamera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9VV2WxcAgM

BRING ON FEDOR!!
MisFiT
6/14/07 3:06:34PM
You seem really solid, you have nice movement and all, but you're very tense. Loosen up a bit and let it flow.
jakeovgy
6/14/07 3:07:00PM
good combos and stuff but i think you have the same prob as me, the left hand seems to fall, i see that right hand up but after the jab it never seems to go back up
fedorwins1
6/14/07 3:23:28PM
Thanks guys, I need to find a gym somewhere around here. I did karate for 5 years, but right now I'm self trained. I know it's not good to be self trained, but it's pretty much the only option right now.
MisFiT
6/14/07 3:39:55PM
Haha definetely not great to be self trained, you need a pro to help out, with some help like that I can see you bein a decent fighter.
Mastodon2
6/14/07 6:43:37PM
Good enough, but when you start doing those long combos your hands are just in front of your chest as your arms are moving back and forth, leaves your chin open, and that could be dangerous if your opponents were to block and counter, and that knee you threw in the middle wernt that great, but overall, solid stuff!

Better than a lot of bedroom boxers on youtube!
iwin
6/14/07 9:48:10PM
good stuff
MethodMan
6/15/07 9:34:19AM
It seems quite good, the problem is when you are using it against another person in sparing. A lot of techniques or combos might not work so well and it is then up to you to modify and use what you have. I am a southpaw myself I favor circling double jabs with intermitent jab then a steping solid jab this catches a lot of people I also like the double jab followed by a big left, a single jab followed by a right hook (same Hand) and a jab to a spining backfist.
bayonetxwork
6/15/07 6:01:58PM
Good stuff. I was kind of in the same place as you was, trained muay thai for a while, moved and self trained, and been with a gym for about a year and half again. The only thing that I would recommend focusing on is the technique in your wrist, and finishing the punch. In some of your combos, it looks as if your wrist is bent awkwardly. I think its on the second cross you throw, it just seems as if you over rotate your hand, kinda hard to tell from the quality of the vid.

All in all, good work. You got a heavybag and shit?
yeahfx
6/16/07 8:22:38PM
Only thing I gotta say is your not protecting your face enough on those long combos. Looks like your keeping your hands around your chin... try and keep them up more, you gotta protect your face too, not just your chin :).
Looks great for your age though man, keep it up. What are you looking to train in?
yeahfx
6/16/07 8:26:34PM
Heres a vid of some guy doing some MT shadowboxing, i have no idea who he is but thats pretty much where i keep my hands. He doesn't seem like a very good boxer but thats pretty much the stance I use. He's protecting his face pretty good, try and get your hands up where his are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz16DYvL-SI&mode=related&search=
Ultimate_fighter
6/16/07 8:58:24PM
good movement, just perfect... just remember to loosen up a bit,
and yea, i am being selftrained right now, and i no i can become a way better fighter if i had a professional...
fedorwins1
6/16/07 10:22:18PM

Posted by yeahfx

Only thing I gotta say is your not protecting your face enough on those long combos. Looks like your keeping your hands around your chin... try and keep them up more, you gotta protect your face too, not just your chin :).
Looks great for your age though man, keep it up. What are you looking to train in?

I want to train MMA, but there's no place around here to go, so I guess I'm gonna do BJJ till I can get my license.
Mastodon2
6/17/07 6:22:34AM

Posted by yeahfx

Heres a vid of some guy doing some MT shadowboxing, i have no idea who he is but thats pretty much where i keep my hands. He doesn't seem like a very good boxer but thats pretty much the stance I use. He's protecting his face pretty good, try and get your hands up where his are.

That guys elbows are good, but his teep kick that he did once or twice at the beginning was awful, which almost seems odd, because the rest of his stuff was pretty good!
yeahfx
6/17/07 7:17:29AM
Yea the teep isnt extending.
I just showed the vid to give him an idea of where to put his hands. That guy's thai kicks were decent.
EEKS
6/17/07 7:55:34AM
good work, keep at it
SteedTheDeed
6/20/07 6:32:43PM

Posted by Mastodon2

Posted by yeahfx

That guys elbows are good, but his teep kick that he did once or twice at the beginning was awful, which almost seems odd, because the rest of his stuff was pretty good!

i left him a comment with that point exactly. those foot jabs would not even make it to the midsection.
fedorwins1
6/28/07 12:51:24PM

Posted by hado3

i got a tip for you

dont post videos of yourself shadowboxing unless you know what your doing

everybody knows how to punch learn how to move your head, slip punches, weave, shoulder roll

try again

Well you could of tried to put that alittle nicer couldn't you. I'm not a boxer, plus I'm self trained so I think I did okay. I'm getting into a gym in the begininng of July. Oh yea I see most of your post are very noteworthy, calling Nate Mohr a bum and telling people to go out and learn to fight on the street since they have no money
bayonetxwork
6/28/07 10:04:51PM

Posted by fedorwins1

Posted by hado3

i got a tip for you

everybody knows how to punch learn how to move your head, slip punches, weave, shoulder roll

try again

Well you could of tried to put that alittle nicer couldn't you. I'm not a boxer, plus I'm self trained so I think I did okay. I'm getting into a gym in the begininng of July. Oh yea I see most of your post are very noteworthy, calling Nate Mohr a bum and telling people to go out and learn to fight on the street since they have no money

Yeah seriously, what a jackass.
ac_gi
6/28/07 10:57:14PM

Posted by fedorwins1

Alright here is a short video of me shadowboxing. Any tips would be appreciated. Oh yea sorry no sound, I don't have a videocamera, so I had to record it on a digitalcamera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9VV2WxcAgM

BRING ON FEDOR!!

You look like you have very quick hands.
CincySaint
6/30/07 3:17:53PM
Hey man great idea. Getting feedback on your skills is the only way to get better, and until you find a coach you can't get feedback anywhere else. The one thing I would suggest is trying to get you feet into the video. I only have a boxing background so I cant comment on the muy Thai aspect of it, but as for boxing you look promising...that being said there are spots to work on. The first is what the other guys said, keep those hands up bro. Obviously you were just doing shadow boxing so you knew you wouldn't get hit, but habits are hard to break so i would make a habit of keeping those hands up.
The second I think i noticed is your foot work when throwing some combos, but it is hard to tell from the video. Basically in boxing the punch is a simultaneous explosion of your entire body. The feet pivot and turn sending power to the hips and mid section, which then turn, adding their power to the equation and up through the arm ending up in the jaw of your opponnent. I train with 3 or 4 friends who all have some level of martial arts experience and without them I would be much worse than i am anyway , so again I applaud you being open to constructive criticism and putting the video out!
CincySaint
6/30/07 3:26:06PM

Posted by fedorwins1

Posted by hado3

i got a tip for you

try again

Everyone knows how to throw punches? Are u kidding me dude? If you even know what shoulder rolling and weaving really are than you know it is very tough to throw a correct punch, and that very few amateurs throw punches correctly! How in the world can you attack someone for asking for help?Shows a true lack of class in my opinion!