Video: UFC 135 headliners Jones and Jackson on "Jimmy Kimmel Live!"

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Video: UFC 135 headliners Jones and Jackson on "Jimmy Kimmel Live!"
grappler0000
9/20/11 10:38:42AM
To hype this weekend's UFC 135 event, headliners Jon Jones and Quinton "Rampage" Jackson appeared on Monday's edition of "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" on ABC.

Jones puts his UFC light-heavyweight title on the line at Saturday's pay-per-view event in Denver.

Despite their long-brewing feud, the rivals shared the same couch for the sometimes-uncomfortable (but humorous) segment.

The fighters confirmed their rivalry, though Jackson hinted he may be able to put the beef behind him.

"It depends on how the fight goes for me, really and honestly," he said. "If the guy fights you and has a good respect for the fight, I'll be like, 'I respect this guy. He's a fighter.' I'm like that."

Just don't expect them to be best friends, Jones said...

Article + Videos
cowcatcher
9/20/11 10:49:04AM
I caught the end of this last night after the Sheen roast, and it was pretty childish per usual when these two get together. Jones really wants to be the "good guy", but the cockiness really has been shining through in him, and it's hard for a normal person to like the guy on top, especially when he's cocky. I don't think the kid is a complete douche or anything, but he's young, and been tossed into the limelight, and people tend to change a little when that happens. I personally thought Rampage got the best of him in the verbal sparring because he at least made me laugh, but it was the verbal equivalent of Jimmy vs. Timmeh.
FastKnockout
9/20/11 12:23:34PM
I always get a laugh from Rampage.
kopower
9/20/11 1:05:06PM
If the fight between Jones and Rampage goes down anything like Timmy and Jimmy's, then we are all in for a real treat!
bojangalz
9/20/11 1:57:42PM
I wish Jones would embrace the fact that he's a bit cocky. He's the the physical gifts, and the natural talent to be a champion for a long time. But unless he polarizes the general public he's never going to be the megastar he's capable of being.

Ali understood this... He knew people weren't going to tune in to see superior boxing. He captivated the world by polarizing everyone. Either you wanted him to win, or you wanted him to get his ass kicked. There was no middle ground. To date; there hasn't been anyone in MMA with the physical gifts, age, and limelight who has been given a chance to do the same.

Now obviously Jones can NEVER, never be as big as Ali. It's not he can be a conscious objector and dodge military draft or anything like that. But for as much shine as he's getting with the bright lights of late night TV I'd love to see him push the envelope a bit to get more viewers joining in.

Take what you saw in those two clips from the prospective of a casual viewer of Kimmel's show. Was there enough heat there to get you interested in the PPV if you weren't already a fan of MMA? Doesn't look like it to me.

Jones has the chance to be the biggest star this sport has ever seen. He's in the premier weight class; at a time where the sport is blowing up. He just needs to step up and understand that captivating an audience outside of the cage is far, far more lucrative that what he does inside the cage.
tn_rebel
9/20/11 2:02:15PM

Posted by cowcatcher

I caught the end of this last night after the Sheen roast, and it was pretty childish per usual when these two get together. Jones really wants to be the "good guy", but the cockiness really has been shining through in him, and it's hard for a normal person to like the guy on top, especially when he's cocky. I don't think the kid is a complete douche or anything, but he's young, and been tossed into the limelight, and people tend to change a little when that happens. I personally thought Rampage got the best of him in the verbal sparring because he at least made me laugh, but it was the verbal equivalent of Jimmy vs. Timmeh.

He is 24 years old and might be the baddest dude on the planet, of course he is cocky.
cowcatcher
9/20/11 2:14:08PM

Posted by tn_rebel

Posted by cowcatcher

He is 24 years old and might be the baddest dude on the planet, of course he is cocky.

I never said he shouldn't be, just that it puts people off. Not long ago he was a media darling and seemed like a nice, clean cut kid. Suddenly he has haters. I think bojangalz hit the nail on the head. If he's going to be cocky, then really go for it, if he wants to be the clean cut good guy, then go for that. Toeing the middle doesn't do much for him except make him come off as nice one minute and a jerk the next, and that's completely off-putting to me and probably most, although I haven't taken a poll or anything.
cowcatcher
9/20/11 2:19:23PM

Posted by kopower

If the fight between Jones and Rampage goes down anything like Timmy and Jimmy's, then we are all in for a real treat!

It can't possibly match the Roddy Piper/Keith David fight though.
emfleek
9/20/11 2:28:29PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Toeing the middle doesn't do much for him except make him come off as nice one minute and a jerk the next, and that's completely off-putting to me and probably most, although I haven't taken a poll or anything.

Ding!

Go 100% either way, otherwise, you come across as a fake.
Hendo67
9/20/11 6:02:37PM
I want Rampage to KO Jones but that's not happening.

Jones comes off as so phony to me, the way he talks is so painful to listen to, he reminds me of a grade 2 student trying to read his paragraph of the class story book. It might just be me, who knows? I just find him very polished off in his approach to doing interviews, hyping a fight or just talking in general.

The last thing he said at UFN during their interview (Rampage and Jones) was so goofy.