If victorious, UFC on Versus 5's Ben Henderson plans GSP-like post-fight speech

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » If victorious, UFC on Versus 5's Ben Henderson plans GSP-like post-fight speech
FastKnockout
8/13/11 1:37:28PM
MILWAUKEE – Former WEC lightweight champion Ben Henderson proved naysayers wrong when he successfully made his UFC debut in April.

Henderson outclassed Mark Bocek en route to a decision victory and proved WEC talent is on par with the UFC's. Henderson's next foe is tough veteran Jim Miller, who has only seen defeat once in his UFC career.

And if victorious in the UFC on Versus 5 headliner, Henderson has a Georges St-Pierre-inspired speech planned.

LINK
FastKnockout
8/13/11 1:40:17PM
A win over Miller would be VERY impressive, but it wouldn't be enough for a title shot in my opinion.
Budgellism
8/13/11 1:54:16PM

Posted by FastKnockout

A win over Miller would be VERY impressive, but it wouldn't be enough for a title shot in my opinion.

Agreed. 2-0 in the ufc shouldn't ever get you a title shot anymore. If he wins though, I'd love to see him fight Guida.
prophecy033
8/13/11 2:33:59PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by FastKnockout

Agreed. 2-0 in the ufc shouldn't ever get you a title shot anymore. If he wins though, I'd love to see him fight Guida.

Guida vs Henderson would be fireworks. That would be a knockdown dragout fight. Great for us watching.

The days of the fighters jumping right into a title fight, unfortunately, are still here. Vitor came back to the ufc and after one victory had a shot at Anderson. Jake shields the same thing. I understand why the ufc does it. Both those guys are worthy, as is Henderson, but it kinda does a disservice to the guys already in the ufc that have worked their way up.
40ouncetpkid
8/13/11 3:47:39PM
I wouldn't rule it out, and Miller is pretty much the #1 contender. I don't see why not since he is a former WEC champion, although a Guida fight would be epic, but besides Miller nobody else sticks out as over deserving of one and if Henderson wins it makes it worse.
Chael_Sonnen
8/13/11 5:39:54PM
Please, not another "can I get an amen" speech
TheBlackChip
8/13/11 5:41:16PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Are you serious bro? You must not being paying attention.
bjj1605
8/13/11 7:41:06PM

Posted by TheBlackChip

Posted by FastKnockout

Pretty sure he's paying attention. This is not a knock on Miller. Excuse me for speaking for you FastKnockout, but I would assume he means:

"Even though Miller is the #1 Contender, Henderson hasn't had enough wins (or even fights) in the UFC that one big win should earn him a shot."
FastKnockout
8/14/11 1:40:48AM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by TheBlackChip

Posted by FastKnockout

Pretty sure he's paying attention. This is not a knock on Miller. Excuse me for speaking for you FastKnockout, but I would assume he means:

"Even though Miller is the #1 Contender, Henderson hasn't had enough wins (or even fights) in the UFC that one big win should earn him a shot."

Thank you, bjj. That's exactly what I meant.
tn_rebel
8/14/11 2:11:17PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by FastKnockout

Guida vs Henderson would be fireworks. That would be a knockdown dragout fight. Great for us watching.

The days of the fighters jumping right into a title fight, unfortunately, are still here. Vitor came back to the ufc and after one victory had a shot at Anderson. Jake shields the same thing. I understand why the ufc does it. Both those guys are worthy, as is Henderson, but it kinda does a disservice to the guys already in the ufc that have worked their way up.

Like Diaz getting GSP when Jon Fitch is clearly more deserving?