UFC Veteran, Sean “The Muscle Shark” Sherk is retiring from UFC

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC Veteran, Sean “The Muscle Shark” Sherk is retiring from UFC
DrivenDavies15
9/2/13 7:17:45PM
At the age of 40 and after an extraordinary 14 year career, Sean “Muscle Shark” Sherk is retiring from the UFC with a 38-4-1 record, but will always be remembered as a UFC Lightweight Champion.

Sean Sherk began his road to the UFC as a wrestler at the age of 7. After 13 years of wrestling and 400 matches, Sherk began his martial art training with Greg Nelson at the Minnesota Martial Arts Academy. After realizing that his strong background in wrestling would give him a clear advantage in MMA, he decided to enter his first NHB fight in 1999 and won. Sherk accumulated an impressive 17-0-1 record before signing with the UFC in 2001.

Sherk began his UFC career against Tiki Ghosen at UFC 30 (2001). After going an astounding 22-0-1 Sherk recorded his first loss to Matt Hughs. After losing his first fight, Sherk was more determined than ever and went on a remarkable 12 fight winning streak. In 2006, Sean Sherk became the UFC Lightweight World Champion after winning all five rounds and defeating Kenny Florian via unanimous decision. Sherk credits his win to his superior wrestling technique and unwavering stamina from practicing extreme cardio using the Training Mask, a product he cofounded.

LINK
jae_1833
9/2/13 7:23:43PM
That was a DELAYED response!
kopower
9/2/13 7:43:10PM
Thought he retired years ago. Crazy it's finally official.

I'll always remember his bloody war with Kenflo.
FastKnockout
9/2/13 8:19:04PM
Figured as much. Respect the guy for all he's accomplished in the sport.
sparky
9/2/13 8:45:16PM
I'm glad I got a chance to meet Sherk before he retired. I was hoping we would see him in action again but I was doubtful it would happen. Props on a great career
OnyxShadow
9/2/13 9:08:06PM
Great fighter...one of the really underrated ones of all time.
Webbie
9/2/13 9:25:49PM
I remember at one point in Sherk's career while he was dominating the UFCs lightweights and BJ Penn was still fighting at welterweight, I thought to myself "is anyone ever going to be able to beat this guy at 155?" At one point I think I really didn't expect him to get beaten. Of course, that was until BJ dropped back down to lightweight.

Excellent career either way. His fight with GSP was one of my favorites.
Budgellism
9/2/13 10:15:02PM
Sherk has had a pretty solid career. It's a shame his Lightweight title is surrounded by controversy but he definitely left his mark on the sport.
tepid55
9/2/13 10:36:44PM
I met Sherk at the UFC fan expo in Houston that led up to UFC 136. I think he deserves a spot in the UFC hall of fame for being the second lightweight champion in UFC history.
tallica62
9/2/13 10:44:49PM
I think the UFC retired from him

and wow..he's 40??!!
hotrodttt
9/2/13 11:07:42PM
The talent in the lw division before he was champ was non existent at first then bad, not taking anything away from him though. I wouldn't call him the greatest lw champ ever because the division is still somewhat new. The UFC brought it back not too long ago, the belt that is. What I'm trying to say is that he was a good fighter that was passed up by younger guys.
shaneTpain
9/3/13 6:11:44AM
The Muscle Shark was my dads favourite fighter! Sherk was a legit dude
BillsNewAccount
9/3/13 9:30:48AM

Posted by tepid55

I met Sherk at the UFC fan expo in Houston that led up to UFC 136. I think he deserves a spot in the UFC hall of fame for being the second lightweight champion in UFC history.

He deserves a spot just for getting the belt with those tiny, tiny dinosaur arms.
Khaos
9/3/13 12:41:50PM
I was still hoping for one more fight, but I can understand him retiring. Sean Sherk by Guillotine!
prozacnation1978
9/3/13 1:48:17PM
Saw sherk at expo this past July
Asked what was up. Didn't wanna say retire nor say
When he will fight again.

He should have retired two years ago