UFC On Versus 2: Aftermath For Losers

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC On Versus 2: Aftermath For Losers
POLL: Most Likely To Get Cut?
James Irvin 63% (25)
Damarques Johnson 10% (4)
Mike Massenzio 0% (0)
Steve Steinbeiss 15% (6)
Darren Elkins 8% (3)
DON KING!! 5% (2)
DCRage
8/3/10 7:19:34AM
Something I've thought about since yesterday, obviously there's always debate about what happens for the event's losers. Here's my thoughts on what happens now to the losers with regards to standing in UFC (again, just my opinions, nothing's official yet):
Paul Kelly (4-3 UFC)-Safe. Next fight should be in England, maybe 120 although that's only a 2 month turnaround. Likely depends on potential medical suspension.
Damarques Johnson (2-2 UFC)-Bubble. Had a 2-fight win streak snapped and missing weight works against him. Toss-up but probably gets one more fight, prelim.
James Irvin (3-4 UFC)-Gone. 3 losses in a row. All 3 were quick and one of his wins was a DQ, which doesn't help much.
Mike Massenzio (1-2 UFC)-Gone. Losing Streak Of Doom. Dropped 3 of last 4 overall.
Darren Elkins (1-1 UFC)-Bubble. Win could be called a mulligan (Duane Ludwig injury) and was HL Reel material for Charles Oliveira. Leaning towards gone.
Steve Steinbeiss (0-2 UFC)-Gone. FOTN doesn't overshadow Losing Streak Of Doom, which is 3 because he lost his last WEC fight before being moved to UFC.
Tyson Griffin (7-4 UFC)-Bubble. Losing Streak Of Doom now and has only finished a win once. Should be safe but wouldn't be shocked if cut.
John Howard (4-1 UFC)-Safe. Probably back to prelims, maybe TV fight pre-PPV.
Mark Munoz (3-2 UFC)-Safe. Back to prelims.
Vladimir Matyushenko (5-3 UFC)-Safe. Has only one finish in his UFC career. Either PPV opener or top of prelims next.
RyanC
8/3/10 8:16:34AM
I think you're probably right about every one of these guys.
lohmann
8/3/10 10:49:40AM
Massenzio is probably safe. He has the two-fight losing streak, but the fight on the Versus card was after a very long layoff, he was winning it, and it was the FotN winner.

No way is Griffin cut. He'll be softballed next.
PABLOMAFIOSO
8/3/10 12:38:44PM
I think it is time for Irvin to get a few wins under his belt in smaller shows. It's 3 in a row for him now. I would like to see him once more (seeing as he's back at LHW) but I think he's done.
jae_1833
8/3/10 11:48:06PM
Irvin is done! I just watched that fight and the RNC wasn't even sunk in!! He was tapping out during the roll! Massenzio may be cut as well, you just don't get tapped out by Stann. If he isn't cut he will be one fight away for sure.
Pookie
8/4/10 6:06:21AM
I've made it a rule to never pick Irvin, he officially earned the Goulet treatment a few fights back. I doubt the UFC keeps him around for another fight, unless they need a last minute replacement against someone like Boetsch or.... Anderson Silva.

Paul Kelly - I like the kid, he has the tools to be a good gatekeeper and he always fights his heart out. Add in the fact hes british and you have Longevity in this business. No chance he gets cut.

Johnson - He does alot of PR and he works his ass off talking to fans at the expo's. I think they give him an extra fight .

Massenzio - Fight of the night candidate, and this fight was after a long lay-off/knee surgery. I'd give him another chance, but im not sure the UFC does.

Elkins - They'll surely give him a newcomer or someone on the bubble themselves. He'll definitely get another fight, on the merit of his slam at least.

Steinbess- Yeah, cut.

Tyson Griffin - They got to keep this kid around, he's too good for the UFC to let another organization sign him. He always stands and bangs, id like to see him fight Spencer Fisher.

Howard - No way will he get cut, even if hes not quite UFC level.

Munoz - Safe, he beat Kendall Grove. That will keep him off the chopping block for at least a little. While in the meantime the UFC has another English speaker to interview whenever a black house fighter is fighting.

Matsyushenko - Id like to see him get a Hammill or a tito. Some wrestler who likes to wear their opponents down. Jon Jones was a match even the UFC knew Matyushenko wouldn't do well in, i doubt they punish him for taking the fight that almost no one wants to.
mikegll
8/4/10 8:11:06PM
Yep pretty much sums it up
skitzo
8/6/10 12:54:32PM

Posted by Pookie

I've made it a rule to never pick Irvin, he officially earned the Goulet treatment a few fights back. I doubt the UFC keeps him around for another fight, unless they need a last minute replacement against someone like Boetsch or.... Anderson Silva.

Paul Kelly - I like the kid, he has the tools to be a good gatekeeper and he always fights his heart out. Add in the fact hes british and you have Longevity in this business. No chance he gets cut.

Johnson - He does alot of PR and he works his ass off talking to fans at the expo's. I think they give him an extra fight .

Massenzio - Fight of the night candidate, and this fight was after a long lay-off/knee surgery. I'd give him another chance, but im not sure the UFC does.

Elkins - They'll surely give him a newcomer or someone on the bubble themselves. He'll definitely get another fight, on the merit of his slam at least.

Steinbess- Yeah, cut.

Tyson Griffin - They got to keep this kid around, he's too good for the UFC to let another organization sign him. He always stands and bangs, id like to see him fight Spencer Fisher.

Howard - No way will he get cut, even if hes not quite UFC level.

Munoz - Safe, he beat Kendall Grove. That will keep him off the chopping block for at least a little. While in the meantime the UFC has another English speaker to interview whenever a black house fighter is fighting.

Matsyushenko - Id like to see him get a Hammill or a tito. Some wrestler who likes to wear their opponents down. Jon Jones was a match even the UFC knew Matyushenko wouldn't do well in, i doubt they punish him for taking the fight that almost no one wants to.

I agree that Steinbeiss will get cut, but his fight against Kimmons was very close. That 2nd round could have gone either way and personally I thought he won that round, which would have given him the fight. Kimmons just came on strong at the end of the 2nd to sway the judges with a nice slam and some GnP. I'd have to watch the fight again, but I felt Steinbeiss should have won that round.

The 1st round was clearly all Steinbeiss and the 3rd was Kimmons. The only round that was up in the air was the 2nd, and although I think it could have gone either way I still believe Steinbeiss deserved the round more than Kimmons. As I felt he controlled most of the round with his striking and clinch work and he was able to pop up early when taken down (obviously, minus the last TD with a min. to go). With all that said, it was a good fight, I just wish Steinbeiss would have won that fight because he got screwed over last time against Jensen. He just needs more experience and to remember that it isn't always a good idea to get flashy (jumping to pull guard in the 3rd really put him in a bad spot). I am guessing he will be back at some point. He just needs to gain some more confidence and experience in the regional shows for now.

So, although he does have 2 losses in the UFC and 3 under the Zuffa banner, both his losses in the UFC are debatable. Yes, he did "lose" each time, but the first loss was a blown ref job and his second loss was a very close decision (many play-by-play analysts gave him the nod) and his loss in the WEC was a split decision, another fight people thought he should have won. So, maybe the UFC will keep him around, yet I think he probably will be cut and it will probably be a good thing, as he really does need to get back on track.