UFC on Versus 6

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC on Versus 6
armbar66j7
10/1/11 11:36:51PM
I'm sure i won't be the first to post this, but weither way, lets recap a great night of fights

we start off with matt wiman and mac danzig facing off in their much anticipated rematch, after wiman finished danzig with a controversial giullotine choke. the action started with both men pushing forward, but dansig seeming to get the better of the exchanges, as was the pace for the rest of the round. round 2 see a little of the same, except wiman going for a few sick sub. attempts, and round 3 was a little more of a striking clinic with wiman and danzig going toe to toe in a deffinite fight of the night contender, with the close nod eventually going to wiman.

then in what was supposed to be charlie brennemans coming out party, anthony Rumble" johnson proved once again that he can dictate any fight with his striking, which he did, head kicking an already staggering brenneman, to the canvas, ensuing the refferee to stop the contest. albeit controversial, still, i have to wonder if the end was just inevitable for the spaniard.

next we see 6'11 stefan struve taking on the 5'11 pat barry in what was pretty much a feeling out process for most of the 1st round, with neither man really doing mkuch damage, besides a few kicks . round 2 starts and we see barry starting to get comfortable, maybe a little too comfortable, which seems to be his problem, on top of his almost too obvious submission flaws, and costs him another fight. struve goes for a standing darce then ultimatly transitions beautifully into a triangle, which for some reason prompts barry to then lift and powerbomb the long legged dutchman to the canvas, only to have struve catch himself, tighten the hold, stretch out the arm, and finish.

now for the main event, dominick "the dominator" cruz taking on demetrious "holy shit, this is the fastest guy on the planet"("mighty mouse") johnson, in what was one of the fastest paced, and technical fight, IVE ever witnessed, after 5 minutes of mighty mouse setting the pace, cruz looked to breathe a little heaviuer than usual, but that didnt really effect his gameplan, and began closing the gap, using the fence to lure him down on his back, preventing him from peppering him with crazy fast combinations. as the fight wore on, johnson didnt, and continued pushing cruz, although at one point cruz had mighjty mouse mounted 3 times, including a tight neck crank that couldve finished the top contender, but still, mighty persevered and continued to get up, even after the two suplexes that grounded him for minutes at a time. with just over a minute left in this fight, cruz put it in gear and made 3 beautiful transitions to get mount in a matter of 15 seconds, only to lose position and stay on top until the end. ultimatly cruz was given the unanimous nod, and is still your bantamweight champion.

another great and surprizing night of fdights from versus, thank you for reading.

(if people like this little column, i hope to do it more often for the live tv events, as i cant afford the ppvs every month, like anyone can haha.)
Twenty20Dollars
10/2/11 12:02:25AM
Hopefully Cruz doesn't get rewarded with FOTN. Should be Mac/Wiman or Neer/Keith.

Always love a card with a lot of finishes regardless of how I do on it.

I'll be interested in seeing who gets KOTN

EDIT: KOTN: Rumble Johnson
SOTN: Struve
FOTN: Danzig/Wiman
armbar66j7
10/2/11 12:13:06AM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Hopefully Cruz doesn't get rewarded with FOTN. Should be Mac/Wiman or Neer/Keith.

Always love a card with a lot of finishes regardless of how I do on it.

I'll be interested in seeing who gets KOTN

EDIT: KOTN: Rumble Johnson
SOTN: Struve
FOTN: Danzig/Wiman

well it would be going to both of them, not just cruz, but i mean, yeah, i undertand why youd think that, the wiman danzig fight was nuts, but i didnt get a chance to watch any prelims, otherwize i wouldve recapped them
Twenty20Dollars
10/2/11 12:28:42AM
This event beat the last event and it was free.

TJ Grant really impressed me with his first fight at 155.
hashyandy4
10/2/11 12:37:33AM

Agreed top 2 bottom this event was more entertaining than UFC 135
armbar66j7
10/2/11 1:45:17AM

i agree with that, but man, mike eastons gonna be a problem at 135, from what i read, he ten times better than what i thought he would be
Pookie
10/2/11 2:32:12AM
Neer must have landed about 50 standing elbows to the face. He landed so many, that you could see he inspired other fighters to try it out too.