Vera vs Werdum

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Vera vs Werdum
POLL: who wins?
vera 58% (38)
werdum 42% (28)
xchickox
2/21/08 11:58:45AM
i think vera takes this one, his stand up is way to slick and crisp for werdum and he is good enough to defend on the ground against werdum
CornishMMA
2/21/08 12:43:34PM
poll results in more detail in stats page, if doing a thread on a fight with a poll add finishes to it

But yeah i dunno what i would of voted anyway, either Vera KO or Werdum submission, i dont see this going long!
BlazinSaddle
2/21/08 5:54:09PM
let the guy do whatever poll he wants to man jeez

anyway i have to go with vera, just a gut feeling idk
juanez13
2/21/08 6:11:04PM
yea im taking vera on this one. im gonna say by decision, i dont know if he can KO werdum, and he is probably gonna be tied up on the ground for a while (probably in top position) and work the ground a little bit......i say vera take a UD
Franklinfan47
2/21/08 7:11:52PM
Werdum on this one, Vera has schooled mediocre hw fighters up to this point, Werdum is just at another level. He is going to make Vera look bad.
cmill21
2/21/08 7:13:40PM
Werdum doesn't get T/KO'd and his JJ is leaps and bounds better then Vera's, I think Werdum will win via late sub due to Vera gassing a bit.
BlazinSaddle
2/21/08 7:35:12PM
really sick of this "so and so cant be knocked out" everybody can be knocked out, if arlovski hadnt been as tentative he would have easily done so if werdum would have actually done something besides call andrei to the ground and never engage, nonetheless this is much more interesting all around, we havnt really seen what vera can go on the ground, and vera most likely has the advantage on the feet and more power, sure werdum is bigger but vera has faced bigger and stronger, the BJJ is going to be vera's test, im really glad the UFC decided to do this instead of werdum just getting a shot, personally i think he needs to beat vera and a rematch with arlovski, however if arlovski beats o'brian which he will, i would definatly give arlovski the first shot at nog, imo kongo would deserve a title shot more if he beats herring and werdum beats vera, but kongo has almost only a punchers chance before he gets armbarred, werdum might actually be the only one left who can challenge nog if arlovski and randy dont come back, and if fedor stays out of the UFC of corse
warglory
2/21/08 7:36:46PM
I still don't understand people's fascination with Brandon Vera. Werdum by UD.
bls1919
2/21/08 8:01:18PM
Vera is aggressive but sloppy in his exchanges.so Werdum will capitalize take him down and sub him in the 1st rd
NatedawgThaM
2/21/08 9:29:20PM
Vera is a grappling monster so Werdum won't submit him. Vera is on a totally different level with his striking. Tim only beat Vera because of size and strength in the cage. Vera might actually be bigger and stronger. A big mismatch IMO.

Vera by decision just because Werdum has never been KO'd but never say never.
Jackelope
2/21/08 9:40:49PM
LOL I don't get the Vera love, either. Werdum by submission.
Boo_Radley21
2/21/08 10:07:02PM
Werdum is gonna take this one by sub for sure.
nickcuc547
2/21/08 10:50:34PM
right now i like werdum but this is a very tough fight to call. vera has a big advantage standing and i don't think he'll gas like gonzaga did. werdum on the other hand is one of the best on the ground and in the ufc, that's where the fight usually goes.
seanfu
2/21/08 10:54:17PM
Vera will crush him!!! lol Vera commands the standup in every way. Vera is a world class wrestler. Only chance for overrated Werdum is to put vera on his back and L&P. That won't happen.

Vera 2ed round finish.
jiujitsufreak74
2/21/08 11:07:30PM
vera is more overrated than werdum imo, even after his loss to big tim. this will be a good fight don't get me wrong, but by no means is vera a world class wrestler. i can see this either ending with a vera KO, a boring decision like the AA fight, or werdum wising up, scoring a takedown and applying the JJ skills that won the ADCC multiple times.

in the end, as a JJ enthusiast, i have to go with werdum although this fight is very hard to pick.
bls1919
2/23/08 12:26:29AM
Vera is NO grappling monster. i think Werdum will kill him on the ground. I lke Vera so he needs to keep it on the feet to win this one. It is really his only chance
postman
2/23/08 3:50:01AM

Posted by seanfu

Vera will crush him!!! lol Vera commands the standup in every way. Vera is a world class wrestler. Only chance for overrated Werdum is to put vera on his back and L&P. That won't happen.

Vera 2ed round finish.

define world class
jiujitsufreak74
2/23/08 4:14:14AM

Posted by postman

Posted by seanfu

Vera 2ed round finish.

define world class

well, vera's wrestling background is pretty good. He joined the Airforce's wrestling team after a good high school career and while there he trained with the US Olympic wrestling team. after an elbow injury put him out of the Airforce and wrestling, he had to take time out and recover. when he was better he entered the Grappler's Quest submission wrestling competitions and did good there. later he found the beautiful sport that is MMA. he was actually a wrestler before a muay thai artist contrary to popular belief so his natural strength is in fact wrestling. i guess the fact that he wrestled with the US Olympic team makes his wrestling world class is some people's opinion
postman
2/23/08 11:32:10AM
I did not know that about him. Still not sure I would call that world class. But better than I thought.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
2/23/08 3:25:53PM
if the last gonzaga werdum fight shows anything, its that werdums striking has greatly improved. Since joining chute box he looks alot better. He also has argueably the best BJJ at heavy weight. definetly top 5 bjj atleast. He is very tall and has long reach. 6 foot 4 werdum vs 6 foot 1 vera will prove too much for vera. they have the same classic vale tudo style (bjj and muay thai). should be a one sided fight, vera needs to drop to LHW.
MFOTHER
2/23/08 5:44:50PM

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

if the last gonzaga werdum fight shows anything, its that werdums striking has greatly improved. Since joining chute box he looks alot better. He also has argueably the best BJJ at heavy weight. definetly top 5 bjj atleast. He is very tall and has long reach. 6 foot 4 werdum vs 6 foot 1 vera will prove too much for vera. they have the same classic vale tudo style (bjj and muay thai). should be a one sided fight, vera needs to drop to LHW.

he will win.....and if he gets a title shot afterwards, will give nog a fight
prozacnation1978
2/25/08 10:20:19PM
this is a big toss up right now just like tanner vs okami match this weekend and the lesnar vs mir in the last card, these are just toss ups, i don't know right now but simple math if the real werdum the one who beat gonzaga shows up he wins, if the one vs arlovski fight shows he loses, for vera the one that showed up vs big timmy shows he loses the old vera shows he wins, now if both wind up looking bad, well i won't feel that good if i win the bet or lose
disturbed_fighter
2/26/08 10:56:03AM
vera takes it with dominating force and athourity