Vera's Last UFC opponent

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Vera's Last UFC opponent
Manfred
2/14/07 10:16:12AM
From Josh Gross

"Unfortunately the only chance I had to speak with Brandon was in the Memphis International Airport. It was short and sweet, but not so deep on news. Brandon wanted to speak with us after asking his manager, Mark Dion, if they were going to do interviews. However, the timing didn’t work, as I had to catch my flight back to L.A. shortly thereafter. We’ll do our best to get an update on Brandon.

"I do have it on good authority, though, that Vera will fight Jake O’Brien. All signs point to the UFC doing anything it can to leave a black mark on Vera as he appears headed in another direction. "

Source (towards the bottom of the page)
waylon_o
2/14/07 10:17:22AM
That's what he deserves. I hope he gets ktfo!
Pyrenus
2/14/07 10:19:00AM
I like Vera and I hope he goes out with a bang. Hopefully we'll see him back in the UFC soon.
Trapt1nw0nder
2/14/07 10:23:09AM
Jake is gonna get KTFO first round if not submitted

waylon_o
2/14/07 10:24:05AM
Probably so, but I hope Vera gets a beat-down. IMO He deserves one.
Manfred
2/14/07 10:29:47AM
We might not see it anyways, I gotta felling Dana's going to make it a dark match out of spite.

I could be wrong, it's just a hunch
waylon_o
2/14/07 10:32:04AM

Posted by Manfred

We might not see it anyways, I gotta felling Dana's going to make it a dark match out of spite.

I've been thinking the same thing.
Trapt1nw0nder
2/14/07 10:32:47AM

Posted by Manfred

true..i would do the same if i were dana

redmist
2/14/07 10:48:31AM
I understand the UFC didn't offer him peanuts, but is it not naive to expect a fighter to turn down the kind of money that's been proposed. it's a burgeoning sport and the rewards for success have never been so good. The guy has seen dollar signs and wants to cement his future but i'm sure he's aware this decision could harm his career in the long run.

as far as his next opponent. i think if the ufc wants to put a dent in his record they have to take a risk and give him Crocop. I think Vera beats O'Brien any way he wants which further harms the reputation of Heath Herring
waylon_o
2/14/07 10:49:57AM
I think it's already hurt his career...i think Dana's through with him, and a lot of his fans (me included) are disgusted with him as well.
redmist
2/14/07 10:55:55AM
yeah i understand why you feel like that and in time i think he might regret it, but it's hard to turn a blind eye to that offer
madmarck
2/14/07 11:00:42AM

Posted by waylon_o

By Jake O'Brien?
They should pit Vera Against Gonzaga. Gabriel would pound his ass so hard. I hope to god they dont stick vera in the CC. Cuz if the one chance in a million that he would win the UFC would have just kicked itself in the ass harder than ever imaginable.
waylon_o
2/14/07 11:02:39AM

Posted by madmarck

Posted by waylon_o

By Jake O'Brien?
They should pit Vera Against Gonzaga. Gabriel would pound his ass so hard. I hope to god they dont stick vera in the CC. Cuz if the one chance in a million that he would win the UFC would have just kicked itself in the ass harder than ever imaginable.

I don't think O'Brien will win, but I hope he does. And does it fashionably.
Manfred
2/14/07 11:04:18AM
I didn't like Vera before all this but honestly, I don't knock him for leaving for the money.

If the reports are accurate, he's leaving for 5 TIMES what the UFC offered. It's not like he left over a couple bucks. It's a huge difference.

Personally, I think CC's arrival might have added to his decision.
redmist
2/14/07 11:14:09AM
i'm not sure about that, i think Vera beats Gonzaga and walks away saying 'look what i did to all the ufc HW's'. it's a calculated risk but the odds are Crocop wins the fight and sends him on his way off the back of a beating. But i don't lose anything so it's easy for me to say
JoeMimic
2/14/07 11:17:39AM
It'll be a prelim and then if they have time they won't show it ala Nick Diaz Vs Gleison Tibau a few months back. I wouldn't be suprised to see Vera put O'Brien to sleep with his muay thai knees.
waylon_o
2/14/07 11:17:45AM
It would break my ####ing heart to see Vera beat Cro Cop. I don't think it would ever happen, but if it did, I would cry.
ffforgottenx
2/14/07 11:21:52AM
its really funny to me how everyone is all on the brandon vera train when he takes out a few opponents and everyone says he is one of the best and blah blah blah, and now everyone hates him and wants to see him get his ass beat because he chose to leave for another organization that is going to pay him better.. people are really funny
redmist
2/14/07 11:24:44AM

Posted by waylon_o

It would break my ####ing heart to see Vera beat Cro Cop. I don't think it would ever happen, but if it did, I would cry.

nah Crocop wouldn't cry for you, but it wouldn't happen like you say.
waylon_o
2/14/07 11:26:21AM

Posted by redmist

Posted by waylon_o

nah Crocop wouldn't cry for you, but it wouldn't happen like you say.

I'm not saying Vera would win...I don't think he would win once if they fought 20 times...i'm just saying, if somehow he knocked him out, that would suck balls
pv3Hpv3p
2/14/07 12:43:29PM

Posted by ffforgottenx

its really funny to me how everyone is all on the brandon vera train when he takes out a few opponents and everyone says he is one of the best and blah blah blah, and now everyone hates him and wants to see him get his ass beat because he chose to leave for another organization that is going to pay him better.. people are really funny

Can't argue with that... Seems like people are mad at him for wanting money but the only reason they want him to stay is for their own quasi-selfish reasons. IMO, it's being a little hypocrytical, unless you would turn down that kind of money yourself.
Ydoc
2/14/07 2:01:00PM
How is fighting Jake an attempt on leaving a bad mark on his record? Seems like there being nice to Vera and still babying him, he could have had to fight Crocop or Andrei.

It could be much worse, he could be fighting someone who can KO him. Instead he's possibly fighting osmeone who he would be favored against.
Manfred
2/14/07 2:14:39PM
Exposure wise it's worse for him. AA & CC will not be dark matches. More like co-main events (esp. CC)
hippysmacker
2/14/07 2:45:19PM
I like the idea of it being an O'brien dark match. It makes sense because he's not exciting enough yet to be featured by the UFC. Until he gets some pound to go along with his ground he's just a LnP guy IMO. He could conceivably LnP this one out which would leave Vera with a blackmark, and I hope that happens. I beleive Vera will beat him though, but since he's not currently the type of fighter the UFC will push they don't lose a lot. Another point in the Vera $ saga. I understand all the argument's for and against. However, having owned a business before remember this. If a corporation files bankruptcy anytime during his possible big $ contract with showtime he get's nothing. As I understand it the contract's are signed with Elite XC , who has a contract with showtime. My partner's in business just decided one day they couldn't meet the financial obligations($400,000 seed money) they had promised after only putting in 150, 000 and outvoted me to bankrupt the Corporation. Basically all creditiors get nada, and they sold off slect assets for $1 . Big businessmen always protect themselves through layer's of smaller and sometimes even dummy corps I've learned the hard way. So if his contract is with Elite XC and they fold he get's nothing.. Meanwhile BJ penn's( elite XC partner) brother can just reopen rumble on the rock in Hawii and he's protected also.I know some people are saying Vera should take the big quick cash, and if Showtime is gonna stick with Elite through the duration of his contract, it would make some sense. Afer seeing their inaugural event I don't holdout to much hope for them however. The UFC will definately be here in 2 years and I think Dana is the type to hold a grudge. Vera doesn't have the public rep of Tito/BJ to pull this off and still have people clamoring for him to come back IMO. Unless he beats some top guys before Showtime backs out, he's screwed . I know it's possible Showtime could stick it out for 2 years, but I think the easiest path is not always the best. I would urge him to take the sure thing. However, I fear there might be something to say about the possibility of him seeing the writing on the wall with Cro-cop coming in.
uhlsc
2/14/07 4:14:34PM
This is a win win for the ufc if Jake wins he is hyped a little more if he gets beat they can knock him back down a few notches and give him back to a healthy heath herring ( thats a lot of H's) and let herring beat the lay and pray out of him.
shawneth
2/14/07 5:34:40PM

Posted by Manfred

That is exactly what he is going to do. He did the same thing to Nick Diaz who was one of the most known fighters in the UFC.