Vera vs. Sylvia

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Vera vs. Sylvia
POLL: Who Will Be Victorious ?
Tim Sylvia 49% (23)
Brandon Vera 51% (24)
Southpaw82
9/23/07 6:53:04PM
Just curious what everyone else thinks.

Will Vera's youth & confidence be enough to hang with / take out Big Timmeh ?

Or will it be Timmeh's anger of losing his belt that wins him the fight ?

Opinions...............

(Sorry, just found where this topic was done.)
KissMyBallz
9/23/07 7:27:32PM
Im not trying to be cute or anything. But Tim Sylvia came around The UFC at a time where The UFC was struggling for audience and had no heavyweights. He beat lackluster guys with the exception of Arlovski and basically just faded away to the superior

They needed a Big Guy for a spectacle. Remember that memorable Gan MgGee fight? Come on. That was The "Sylvia" era. It was a spectacle.

I never once watched a Sylvia fight where I sat to myself and other than him being big with a killer reach, not once have I ever said "He's Good".

Sylvia has no real skill. He's well trained no doubt, but if it weren't for his height, he wouldnt be good enough to be in The UFC. He's just big. Vera is MEGA skilled in BJJ, Wrestling, and of course MEGA MEGA skilled in Kickboxing.

This fight IMO is an insult to Vera
TheHitmanTL
9/23/07 7:38:11PM
IMO i think this is gonna be the biggest snoozefest the UFC has seen in a long time

get read to see sylvia jab his way into victory
nickcuc547
9/23/07 9:29:55PM
vera wont beat sylvia, if he comes in aggressive tim is going to ko him, if he hangs back tim will jab him to death and win a decision, his only chance is to take the fight to the ground, but we havent seen vera on the ground so we dont know how good he actually is.
Twenty20Dollars
9/23/07 10:03:38PM
Watch for Sylvia to KO vera yeah no doubt. if not that a decision win like Sylvia vs Arlvoski 3.
Svartorm
9/23/07 10:05:06PM
This is a hard one to call honestly and arguements can be made both ways.

In terms of raw skills and youth, Vera is ahead in spades. Hes a phenominal grappler and has crisp kickboxing skills. The two big question marks are chin and endurance, as we've never seen his chin truely tested, and never seen him go the distance at a hard pace.

The one thing I'm not understanding though is everyone saying Tims never beaten top comp. He took out Ricco R. at the height of his game it brutal fashion, took out AA twice, and soundly beat Jeff Monson. His win against Tra Telligman wasn't a gimme fight either, as Tra is an excellent stand-up fighter.

The only arguably top fighter Veras taken out that Tim hasn't is Mir, and the NSAC wouldn't event let Big Tim have a rematch with Mir because of the skill and physical disperity. While he hasn't had an exciting fight, his reach makes him dangerous to stand with and his size makes him difficult to put on the ground, and I think this fight is going to give Vera fits. I'm willing to bet Vera loses to a TKO late in the fight, possibly from cuts, although I don't think Sylvia will look too pretty afterwards either.
k_lup07
9/24/07 1:46:55AM
vera, cause im hoping ring rust doesnt exist for the guy

honestly, i just want to see the dance
ac_gi
9/24/07 2:38:25AM

Posted by Svartorm

In terms of raw skills and youth, Vera is ahead in spades. Hes a phenominal grappler and has crisp kickboxing skills. The two big question marks are chin and endurance, as we've never seen his chin truely tested, and never seen him go the distance at a hard pace.

The one thing I'm not understanding though is everyone saying Tims never beaten top comp. He took out Ricco R. at the height of his game it brutal fashion, took out AA twice, and soundly beat Jeff Monson. His win against Tra Telligman wasn't a gimme fight either, as Tra is an excellent stand-up fighter.

The only arguably top fighter Veras taken out that Tim hasn't is Mir, and the NSAC wouldn't event let Big Tim have a rematch with Mir because of the skill and physical disperity. While he hasn't had an exciting fight, his reach makes him dangerous to stand with and his size makes him difficult to put on the ground, and I think this fight is going to give Vera fits. I'm willing to bet Vera loses to a TKO late in the fight, possibly from cuts, although I don't think Sylvia will look too pretty afterwards either.

Nice breakdown. I agree with your points. Tim can beat Vera If his heart is still in the fight game. I'm excited about this fight. It will tell us a little more about Vera, and where he stands among the HW's. Considering where Mir was at mentally and physically and the quality of Vera's other opponents, I'm not sure that Vera has earned the praise that he gets.
Sam_Rothstein
9/24/07 3:56:13AM

Posted by Svartorm

i could not agree more, i think people are giving vera way too much respect on this fight.

Vera hasnt fought since november of last year, and that was against a frank mir who looked nothing like he did before his accident

Vera also changed fight camps so who knows how that effects his fighting

Vera also has been going to court over that situation with mark dion, who knows how much that might sway his concentration on the fight

with that said i think vera has the tools to stop tim, i just don't think he will be able to accomplish it in this period of his career
hathcock32
9/24/07 5:58:03AM
Tim will come in aggressive and KO him in the first. Im not a Tim fan but i dont see to many heavyweights beating him. Couture fought a perfect fight, Big Tim is a problem for everyone. Veras first real test, really excited for this fight. .....TIM 1rd KO
loonytnt
9/24/07 5:13:24PM
vera hands down
TheHitmanTL
9/26/07 7:02:49PM
wow the poll is at 50 50 but i still see sylvia jabbin his way to victiory get ready to see vera vs chuck liddell at 205
jeremygreen
9/26/07 8:08:09PM
My money is on Vera, The truth is time to shine, Sylvia is too overweight to win this one, he's getting submitted if not knocked out.