Vera staying with the ufc

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Vera staying with the ufc
Next Page »
Gladiator
3/27/07 4:22:02PM
according to this source Brandon vera is indeed staying with the ufc and is fighting very soon.
Ydoc
3/27/07 4:33:47PM
And the plot thickens.
AchillesHeel
3/27/07 4:38:57PM
That would be cool. I'd rate Vera probably 13th or 14th among Heavyweights right now, and he could certainly go further than that. He seems like a good guy, greed notwithstanding, and he certainly seems popular with UFC fans.
Gladiator
3/27/07 4:41:21PM
ya im glad hes staying with the ufc, he has a lot of potential and always puts on a good show. i wonder if he'll get a title shot before cor cop?
AchillesHeel
3/27/07 4:59:27PM
Dana White announced a while ago that the winner of Cro Cop-Gonzaga would get the winner of Sylvia-Couture.
JimiMak
3/27/07 5:04:13PM
It only makes sense. Even if he was lookin to jump ship, this weeks events prob'ly put a screeching halt to those plans. Burning a bridge with Dana doesn't seem so smart now. And no he won't get a title shot before CroCop, he blew that chance. He might be the first challenger, or better yet fight the loser of AA/Werdum.
Stickan
3/27/07 5:08:10PM
I still want to see him fight Big Tim. Either Tim would KO Vera brutally or Vera would sub Tim. It would be a tough fight to call.
jdubs
3/27/07 5:22:23PM
of course he's goin to fight in the ufc, there is so much money to be made with him and we have yet to see his true potential he may possibly be the #1 lhw in the world, i love chuck but only time will tell. as far as hw he WILL give crocop a run for his money, shit i cant wait
tberg420
3/27/07 5:40:45PM
I think that I'm the only person disappointed by his actions of late. I realize that the business is self-promotion but he's gotten a little too big for his head.
hippysmacker
3/27/07 6:01:25PM
I'm glad the reason he's changing managers is that his old manager gave him the bad advice to leave. If he stays I'm happy.
Stickan
3/27/07 6:20:45PM
Did anyone actually read the source?
His trainer/manager Rob Kaman recieved a few counter offers from the UFC but turned them down without telling Vera about it.

Perhaps it wasn't just Veras greed that made him almost leave the UFC anyway.

Anyway that's why they left City Boxing.
hippysmacker
3/27/07 6:23:51PM
I read it. That's why I made the point about the manager.
Lay_N_Pray
3/27/07 7:20:24PM
I'm a big Vera fan, he has a huge upside and is the best prospect in the Heavyweight division.

I think his next fight should be against Heath Herring, so Herring can complain that "he wanted to put on a good show for the fans and not get subbed in round one"
jaba
3/27/07 7:36:14PM
thank god, i think vera has the most potential outta anyone in MMA but he has yet too prove himself. Watta waste it would be seein him school the chumps in Elite Xc.
JimiMak
3/27/07 9:04:54PM
I don't want to sound out of the loop here. Haven't seen that much of him (don't think there's that much to be seen yet). Looked him up on youtube and sherdog to see if I was really missing something. But, everyone seems to be really impressed with this guy. He looks good but they were about to give him a title shot? He's beaten a suspect Mir and a top 20 (?) Assuerio Silva and noone else. Can someone please tell me what I'm missing cuz I really don't think we've seen enough yet to say he's ... idk... everything everyone seems to think I guess. While CroCop is fighting for the title, shouldn't he go against someone top 10. Then if he wins be fighting for contention? At the very least. Maybe one good thing about the merger will be a better spreading of talent. I still don't think he's proven as much as Werdum, even though Werdum hasn't fought in the UFC yet.
mkiv9secsupra
3/28/07 2:56:46AM

Posted by JimiMak

I don't want to sound out of the loop here. Haven't seen that much of him (don't think there's that much to be seen yet). Looked him up on youtube and sherdog to see if I was really missing something. But, everyone seems to be really impressed with this guy. He looks good but they were about to give him a title shot? He's beaten a suspect Mir and a top 20 (?) Assuerio Silva and noone else. Can someone please tell me what I'm missing cuz I really don't think we've seen enough yet to say he's ... idk... everything everyone seems to think I guess. While CroCop is fighting for the title, shouldn't he go against someone top 10. Then if he wins be fighting for contention? At the very least. Maybe one good thing about the merger will be a better spreading of talent. I still don't think he's proven as much as Werdum, even though Werdum hasn't fought in the UFC yet.

im with you...vera is nothing yet....he should fight couture after cro cop takes his head off or maybe even AA...
tomp6581
3/28/07 5:14:10AM
He would be mad to leave now......I think he will struggle with all the new HW's coming into the UFC now but at least (if this is true) he is willing to prove himself against the best....

Vera V Hunt for his next fight........I think that would be interesting......fighting his first top 10 HW.....who is a excellent striker and pretty much impossible to knock out.
migo
3/28/07 6:23:07AM
If you think Assuerio is barely top 20 then name 19 fighters you think should be above him.
mkiv9secsupra
3/28/07 6:41:27AM

Posted by migo

If you think Assuerio is barely top 20 then name 19 fighters you think should be above him.

cmon man.....TIM SYLVIA BEAT HIM!!! that is horrible....
FortySixBelow
3/28/07 7:01:18AM
He kinda falls into the category of a long list of guys who havent beaten anyone special...and only have losses to top competition...

BTW, who even ranks 20 guys...after 10 they dont even matter anyway...

Trapt1nw0nder
3/28/07 7:07:01AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by migo

cmon man.....TIM SYLVIA BEAT HIM!!! that is horrible....

naw man,Assuerio Silva is a good fighter,not top 10,but also not as far as 20.....Prolly like 14..

I think Brandon Vera is a great fighter,but has not been tested either,but i think he can be at the top 5-7 very soon.....like i have said before,he's a HW Anderson Silva

..and Tim Sylvia is a good fighter,Randy Couture was just a bad style for him........not every HW has the Greco Roman Wrestling skills to put Tim on his ass like Randy did....and i dont think fighters have the same head movement as randy did either
FortySixBelow
3/28/07 7:14:05AM
I actually agree Tim is a good fighter for sure..

Even though someone mentioned something once about him being less aggressive since he was off the juice...We'll find out if that is true or not when he has his next match...

AchillesHeel
3/28/07 9:01:52AM

Posted by migo

Fedor, Cro Cop, Nogueira, Barnett, Hunt, Arlovski, Werdum, Aleks E, Couture, Kharitonov, Sylvia, Monson, Buentello, Vera, Herring, Schilt, Rothwell, Fujita, Gonzaga, Yoshida.

...that's without thinking about it too hard, but I don't think I'd even put Assuerio Silva in the Top 20.
pv3Hpv3p
3/28/07 10:47:14AM

Posted by JimiMak

With Vera, it isn't as much as who he's beaten that impresses people, IMO... It's how he fights, he finishes all his fights in an exciting manner... The guy has better than average submissions and is a kickass Muay Thai fighter (with sick knees from the clinch)...

He is exciting to watch and easy to like... He's only had one of his ufc fights go to the 2nd round and out of his 8 wins there is only one decision back in '03...

I guess it's more that people see real potential in him, also he's a rather small HW (6'2" 225-230lbs) and could easily make the cut to 205 which adds another level of interest in him...
Pyrenus
3/28/07 12:43:14PM
Vera was tearing through the UFC heavyweight division when it was a very shallow pool. Its not his fault that the UFC didn't have good competition for him.

I'm one of his biggest fans. If he is indeed staying in the UFC, then everyone will see soon enough how good he is. They aren't lacking for HW talent any more.
AchillesHeel
3/28/07 1:29:56PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

With Vera, it isn't as much as who he's beaten that impresses people, IMO... It's how he fights[...]

I'll go a step further and say that all fighters ought to be judged this way. Looking up a guy's record on Sherdog or wherever only tells you part of the story.
hippysmacker
3/28/07 7:31:25PM
This just in from the fight netwotk. Vera's staying and working on a longterm deal

VERA SIGNS UFC EXTENSION

By Loretta Hunt (loretta@thefightnetwork.com)

Heavyweight contender Brandon Vera has signed an extension with the Ultimate Fighting Championship with plans to complete the remaining fight on his existing contract with the Las Vegas-based organization as soon as he is able to.

Vera’s existing contract slated his last fight take place in May, but the fighter was granted the extension by Zuffa LLC., owners of the UFC, to work out legal issues with his current management. Vera, 29, plans to renew his contract with the UFC afterwards.

“I want to stay with the UFC,” the Virginia native said today. “They have some of the best fighters in the world. It’s an amazing stable of fighters and the who’s who of the MMA world. ‘Cro Cop’ [Mirko Filipovic] is a big factor for me wanting to stay. He’s the number-two guy in the world.”

Vera (6-0) knocked out former UFC Heavyweight Champion Frank Mir (9-3) at Nov. 18’s UFC 65 in Sacramento, but has not competed since. Rumored as the next challenger to then heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia’s crown, Vera began renegotiations with the organization but a new contract agreement was not reached at the time.

On Tuesday, Zuffa LLC. publicly announced the purchase of their leading rival in PRIDE Fighting Championships, a move that could inadvertently bolster the UFC’s heavyweight ranks substantially in the near future.

POSTED -- 03/28/07
tomp6581
3/29/07 7:45:37AM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

With Vera, it isn't as much as who he's beaten that impresses people, IMO... It's how he fights[...]

I'll go a step further and say that all fighters ought to be judged this way. Looking up a guy's record on Sherdog or wherever only tells you part of the story.

But surely if a guy fights great againts average opposition, you still cant really judge his potential.....I personally think he needs to fight a top 10 fighter (the win agiant Frank Mir isnt that impressive in my opinion, considering what he is like since returning) A fight with the arlovski/werdum winner would be good.
Stickan
3/29/07 8:18:42AM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Yea I agree. This guy might have been winning all those fights until they suddenly landed a lucky punch or a lucky submission.
AchillesHeel
3/29/07 11:02:07AM

Posted by tomp6581

But surely if a guy fights great againts average opposition, you still cant really judge his potential...

Yes, absolutely. A guy's record on paper only tells part of the story, but it does tell part of the story.

I personally think he needs to fight a top 10 fighter (the win agiant Frank Mir isnt that impressive in my opinion, considering what he is like since returning) A fight with the arlovski/werdum winner would be good.

Yes, I agree. I'd rank Vera around #13-14 right now. He's cut through four of the UFC's non-contenders like a hot knife through butter, and should take a step up. Heath Herring might be an interesting opponent for him, too.

Posted by Stickan

Yea I agree. This guy might have been winning all those fights until they suddenly landed a lucky punch or a lucky submission.

Wow, that takes some dedication. He must really enjoy training.
Pages: [1] 2