Should Vera Drop Weight Classes?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Should Vera Drop Weight Classes?
POLL: LHW?
YES! 65% (28)
NO! 26% (11)
WAIT TIL U GET THE HW BELT 9% (4)
Ultimate_fighter
10/28/07 1:56:11PM
Should he go down to Light-Heavyweight?

I believe he should, he is used to heavyweights pushing him around, im guessing 205lbers wont be to much of a problem. him and liddell need to fight, that is a must.. I think he matches up well with the lhw's ... him and rampage would be a great fight. I think vera has a good height and size for the lhws.... should he go down in weight?
ohiostate1016
10/28/07 2:19:32PM
Yeah, but remember: there are big guys at 205 that will push you around, too. Guys like Rampage, Jardine, Evans, and Chuck don't play around.

I think he should stay at heavyweight. He's a good fighter there, and the LHW division is already so stacked. I don't think he could crack the top ten within a year, maybe two. Stay at heavyweight.
HulkRage
10/28/07 2:20:07PM
I know it was his goal to become HW champ and then drop to LHW, but I think he would be better off as LHW. Not that he is doing bad at HW.
tuvok500
10/28/07 2:35:21PM
vera will never win the HW belt for sure !!

so his best chance is to go down now !!!

Kastro
10/28/07 3:10:20PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

Yeah, but remember: there are big guys at 205 that will push you around, too. Guys like Rampage, Jardine, Evans, and Chuck don't play around.

I think he should stay at heavyweight. He's a good fighter there, and the LHW division is already so stacked. I don't think he could crack the top ten within a year, maybe two. Stay at heavyweight.

???

Evans is undersized for LHW the only big fighter that could give Vera problems IMO right now @ 205 is Rampage..

Sylvia proved to Vera that he has gotta move down in weight classes, Vera hit Tim quite a few times with strikes that didnt even phase big Tim, it was almost like a repeat of Cro Cop / Kongo...

Vera has proven he can beat some HW's, if he drops weight it will be a lot easier for him and he will be much bigger then the fighters you mentioned such as Jardine, Evans, and Chuck...

I can see Vera as possible LHW champ in about a years time assuming he drops 20lbs...
hook_tothe_body
10/28/07 3:26:56PM
I voted no, only because light heavyweight is so damn stacked.

But he doesn't look good fighting the huge guys. Against some smaller heavyweights I think he'll do good.
keith-hackney1
10/28/07 4:30:12PM
no, vera should train harder and redeem his embarrasing performance against big tim, then challenge all others for the title shot.
MALICE
10/28/07 8:06:55PM
He will do good in both weight-classes, but since the LHW division has many more contenders than the HW division, I believe he should remain at HW. Tim's size was obviously to much for Vera. It was a good learning experience for Vera. With the right game plan, Vera could have a chance at beating Tim. If he did drop the weight, he would be a force to be reckoned with.
Sam_Rothstein
10/28/07 9:19:32PM
The heavyweight division was the place for him last year, when andrei arlovski and tim sylvia were the only big names in the heavyweight division
nickcuc547
10/28/07 10:24:55PM
vera would be a top 5 hw. sylvia did overpower him but i dont think that anybody at 205 can do that to him. he would be a force at that weight class and a title holder imo.
natedogstyles
10/28/07 11:40:16PM
I think he should either drop weight or start lifting weights! The guy is very undersized for the HW's and not strong enough. I commented on this in an article on my site after the fight.
Vera vs Sylvia
brucelee82
10/29/07 9:33:00AM
He should definatly either drop to LHW where he would have some great matchups or try and put on some muscle so he can contend in the HW devision.

Coutoure proved you dont have to be huge to be a HW so that shows that Vera just isnt as good technically as people say. At his current size and skill level I dont think he will ever get the HW belt.
Kastro
10/29/07 7:49:40PM

Posted by brucelee82

He should definatly either drop to LHW where he would have some great matchups or try and put on some muscle so he can contend in the HW devision.

Coutoure proved you dont have to be huge to be a HW so that shows that Vera just isnt as good technically as people say. At his current size and skill level I dont think he will ever get the HW belt.

Yah im with ya there... I personally think it would be a better move for him to move down to LHW but if he ramins at HW he definitely needs to start hitting the gym more and bulking up... he doesn't even look that much in shape judging by his physical appearance he doesn't have much tone...

Vera is a slugger though and im always interested in watching his fights!
themmadigest
10/29/07 9:01:19PM
His plan is to at some point and he'd be a stronger force in that class. But he still has the goal to be champ in both divisions.
Franklinfan47
10/29/07 9:09:22PM
He doesn't need to drop down yet. Like he said, unless he's being dominated at HW, which he hasnt, what reason is there to drop down?