Vera- Overated??

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Vera- Overated??
Next Page »
hathcock32
10/12/07 4:47:23AM
I think coming into this fight Brandon Vera is in deep trouble. He has looked

pretty solid in his fights so far. But i think he is an undersized heavyweight with

good knees and kicks but not great hands. His most notable opponet was Mir

And that was not the real Frank Mir. Tim is a big step up, and i think Vera is

way to over-confident and will get KO.
CornishMMA
10/12/07 6:22:52AM
You could be right, his kicks and knees are definately his stronger assets but his hands are good enough, he can beat Tim with body and leg kicks tho if he fights a smart fight
ufcboss
10/12/07 7:13:12AM
Vera isn't overated, just a young gun, But I dont like his odd's.
I dont know why there is so many people jumping on Vera's band wagon.
I ain't saying that he is a bad fighter, No way! I just think that he really is too small for the heavyweight's.
Unless he take's a stool in with him, Those knee's ain't going anywhere near the Maine-iac's chin. Tim by TKO or Sub. All you Tim haters will be surprised. Vera is no Couture, Yet.
This show will rock! Gonna miss Randy's comment's on the main-event

nickcuc547
10/12/07 7:18:05AM
right now i thinik vera is overrated, his fight with timmy will prove if he is or not, if he gives a competitive performance, which i think he will, then he is not overrated and a top 10 heavyweight. at this moment, however, he hasnt fought enough top guys to put him in the top 10.
Stickan
10/12/07 7:49:48AM
He's not overrated. It's just a case of Tim being grousely underrated.
nate22
10/12/07 8:28:43AM
I'm 90/10 in favor of Tim for this fight. I will consider it a bigger shock than Serra beating GSP if Vera pulls it off. Then the idea that Vera is actually top ten competition will be plausible.

Obviously he has the potential to be, but to think that he is as of present day is a little premature.
nate22
10/12/07 8:29:13AM
Tim Slyvia possibly the most underrated fighter by the forum fans in the history of forums.
juanez13
10/12/07 9:23:41AM
if the same tim that showed up to fight randy comes in to fight vera like that, he will loose,his striking looked horrible, slow and not on target.......vera pick him apart even more,,,but if the tim that beat ricco rodriguez shows up and the tim that beat up casbbage, he will have a better chance....

The smart thing for vera to do is take tim down, tims tkd defence wasnt good at all and i think vera can grind out a decision, but if the fight is standing i still think vera has a chance....
juanez13
10/12/07 9:29:13AM
and about people saying he is too small for a heavyweight,i agree....but not always the biggest guys win, the smallerguys are wuicker, but still i think he would do much better at light heavy....ialso think guys like cro cop can cut down to light heavy, but some guys are just not made to cut weight,and loose their wuickness and what makes them good when they cut down...
fedorwins1
10/12/07 9:31:45AM
I think Vera will do good and have a smart game plan. We all know what Tim's game plan is going to be, pick him apart on the feet. Hopefully, Vera will be able to get around Big Tim's jab and get inside. If Vera wins, then he should stay at HW and keep going, if he loses I think he should make the drop to LHW where IMO he could be champ.
wagere
10/12/07 9:36:51AM
I don't know if Vera is over rated or untested, but none the less I believe big Tim will put it on him.
NatedawgThaM
10/12/07 9:47:23AM
I actually agree with you..

People keep saying the new Tim is going to show up. Screw that Tim is probably pissed off and focused as ever. Tim's going to be aggressive and lean from his mistakes. He will KO Brandon Vera..
youknowit
10/12/07 10:50:52AM
Hes the next Champ. believe that.
nubby
10/12/07 10:56:55AM

Posted by youknowit

I won't believe the Hype, Brandon told me not to.
TNunley
10/12/07 11:06:59AM
I guess I'm the only one who believes deeply that Vera is going to walk away with this one.
waylon_o
10/12/07 11:09:36AM
Brandon Vera hasn't fought anyone substantial IMO, so he's not overated or underated to me. He's good, but I doubt he'll beat Sylvia. If he does beat Sylvia, I'll hold him in pretty high regard. If he loses to Sylvia, then he just lost to a former HW champ. He'll just be Brandon Vera to me.
tuvok500
10/12/07 11:22:10AM

Posted by TNunley

I guess I'm the only one who believes deeply that Vera is going to walk away with this one.

no, you are not alone, look at the odds !!

but i am going with sylvia for sure !!

AchillesHeel
10/12/07 1:17:31PM

Posted by hathcock32

pretty solid in his fights so far. But i think he is an undersized heavyweight with

I haven't decided how I'm going to call this fight, but...

I don't think Vera is an "undersized" Heavyweight, at ~6'2", ~225lbs. Obviously, Sylvia is a particularly large Heavyweight, but he couldn't make any hay out of that against Couture. Sylvia's size was a big factor against Monson, but (a) the size difference was much larger than it will be against Vera and (b) Vera isn't primarily a submission fighter.

I suppose I wouldn't call Vera's boxing "great" either, but unless Sylvia has improved (which is certainly possible) that won't be a big problem in this fight. I don't really know how a Muay Thai fighter handles the clinch against a taller opponent. I imagine if you get a good grip, being a little shorter might provide some leverage, provided you've got the strength to make use of it, pull the guy off-balance and make him bend forward at the waist. On the other hand, that's another few inches that your knee needs to travel to make contact, reducing the power of the strike at the point of impact.

Vera's ranked #9 by MMAPlayground and InsideFighting, and #17 by Sherdog (MMAWeekly's site seems to be down, so I don't know how they rank him). I would put him somewhere between these two rankings. He isn't in my Top 10, but 17 seems low to me (Sherdog's Power Rankings rate Rothwell and Werdum ahead of Vera, for instance). Is Vera overrated? He could be, but I think Sylvia might prove to be overrated too.

EDIT: Neither MMAWeekly nor MMANews have Vera in their Top 10.
pv3Hpv3p
10/12/07 1:31:04PM
I'll believe it when I see it... I'll go with what Vera himself keeps saying in all those commercials... Don't believe the hype, believe what you see... or something like that anyways
warglory
10/12/07 2:42:46PM

Posted by nubby

Posted by youknowit

I won't believe the Hype, Brandon told me not to.

LOL!
warglory
10/12/07 2:46:07PM
I believe Brandon is overhyped, I don't know about overrated because we haven't seen him fight that much, especially in the last year or so.

With that said, I think Timmy is going to come out and kick some serious Vera ass. I am actually kinda surprised how many people have Sylvia for this fight. I guess that means there are a lot of smart people around here.
jiujitsufreak74
10/12/07 2:50:57PM
if it is the tim sylvia we have seen before we won the belt, then it will be a great fight and tim would be favored. but, as of lately, the tim sylvia i have seen isn't fighting to win and i see this one going to a decision; a decision in vera's favor because i believe he will push the pace, land those vicious kicks and knees, and will impress the judges more. again it all depends on which tim shows up.
TMIL316
10/12/07 3:08:11PM
i dont think hes over rated hes a good fighter pluse i dislike tim alot but thats my oppenion so w e i got vera by SD
Tailgunner
10/12/07 4:22:11PM

Posted by TNunley

No I also think Vera is gonna take it to Sylvia...............here comes the truth!
argile
10/12/07 4:40:08PM
Vera is young, he hasn't lost and fought only a few minutes in the last year inside the octagon, I don't know why he's the favorite. Tim looked like shit against Randy, but he's beaten and fought more quality fighters then Vera. I doubt Vera would beat AA and AA does what Vera does but better in the ring and Tims beaten AA twice. Well shall see soon though.
nubby
10/12/07 6:14:29PM
Others have already mentioned that Sylvia is underrated. But the question should be what are the tools in his arsenal that make him a bad match up for Brandon Vera. First and foremost, Sylvia is a huge heavyweight. He has good boxing skills, a great sprawl, a decent gas tank, a great chin, lots of heart and he's very strong. Vera is going to be fighting an uphill battle against big Tim. If Tim fights like normal he will keep Vera on the outside with stiff jabs and he will follow up with hooks and uppercuts. Vera will not be able to take advantage of his muy thai clinch which includes his elbows and knees. This leaves two things that Vera can do to fight Tim, box and kick. I see this going easily to Tim and Vera being put in his place as an up and comer with a long way to go.

Vera will need to fight Kongo & Cro Cop after his bout with big Tim.
cmill21
10/12/07 7:26:44PM
I think Tim's going to take this. I think as of right now with how some people have vera rated he is overrated, but after this fight I think some will have him underrated.
wagere
10/12/07 8:12:15PM

Posted by argile

Vera is young, he hasn't lost and fought only a few minutes in the last year inside the octagon, I don't know why he's the favorite. Tim looked like shit against Randy, but he's beaten and fought more quality fighters then Vera. I doubt Vera would beat AA and AA does what Vera does but better in the ring and Tims beaten AA twice. Well shall see soon though.

Alot of people look like shit against Randy.
hathcock32
10/12/07 8:18:51PM

Posted by cmill21

I think Tim's going to take this. I think as of right now with how some people have vera rated he is overrated, but after this fight I think some will have him underrated.

I think Vera is a really good fighter. But the way some talk bout him, they think hes TOP 5 Heavyweight. As of right now i dont see how they say that. But going into this fight he really hasnt had a real test. Im not going to say he will definately lose. but going into the fight i think he is over-rated. How is he acually favored in this match-up??
jocksmall
10/12/07 8:27:47PM

Posted by hathcock32

tenative tim gets beat but agressive tim wins.
Pages: [1] 2