*Vent*: my advice to you dreamers-

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » *Vent*: my advice to you dreamers-
Omega
9/16/07 2:22:28PM
After going through this last group of threads and the past 2 months I've had at my gym I feel the need to vent:

I've been in the fight game for awhile, I just retired from fighting in 2005 not because I'm too old it was because I stopped caring about winning. Didn't care if I won or not and that's not good mind set.

I look on these forums and I sometimes see "Ew I just tapped that guy", or "I would kick that persons butt", you know what I'm talking about. I've been training guys for 6 years in mma and 8 years in kickboxing. I see it all the time, dreamers who want to become fighters. Everytime I talk to them it's the same speech over and over again. "Okay, whatever" and I walk away.

I had one guy last month talk to me up and down about how he wanted to become a fighter. I told him I'd believe it when I see it. He got angry and didn't join (gee I'm broken up inside). The rumor mill was that he talked a lot of crap about me (don't blame him) and then joined another gym. My response "no he didn't" and an arguement ensued on how could I be so sure. Two weeks later I called the gym and asked if so and so joined. The owner said he showed up to two classes and hasn't been seen since. Happens all the time.

What does this have to do with anything? Simply this; if you want to train and fight, all power to you, get your experiance down, ask for advice but ultimately it's all on your shoulders. As soon as a person starts to brag about what they want to do or who they tapped, or who they beat they lose all credibility and if you believe those posters you're just encouraging the illusion. Most of you guys who train hard understand what I'm talking about. You leave that shit on the mat or in the ring. What happens during training stays there. Fighting is about ego and if you're going on the internet or bragging to your friends while not really training in order to make yourself feel better it becomese very counter productive.

If you want to be a fan of the sport be a fan.

If you want to train and enjoy yourself all power to you.

If you want to test yourself and see if you have the talent great.

If you really want to become a figther get off the keyboard, stop surrounding yourself with a bunch of cheerleaders and get in the gym.

*vent off-I'm going to take my daughter bowling now.
loonytnt
9/16/07 2:34:49PM
im a fighter and i hear you all the way, i got guys sayin if i got into fightin id be champ in a year, i run a busness so i cant just laugh in his face, most people that join my gym dont stay, its to hard for them, fightin in mma is not joke its something that you have in you, there are to many people out there that think because a guy lost they would kill them, that not right

i feel you all the way
NatedawgThaM
9/16/07 2:43:25PM
I feel you, most of the "Great" & "Excellent" MMA fighters have been training for over 5+ years to get to where they are now. Only once in a blue moon do you see a BJ Penn who can get it just like that and dominate. Most of the fighters that these cocky losers have seen lose work there butts off and that day just wasnt there day and/or they made a mistake and there opponet was smart and capitalize on it.

I want to see all the people who say they can beat someone actually go against that person and I would put all my money that I have in my bank account(not alot lol) That over 75% of them would LOSE!

MMA is hard work and im still a teen and I just started training but im going to keep training for about 4 or 5 years until I go pro(unless of course I still suck then I'll quit),

But yeah man, I hear you..
Mastodon2
9/16/07 3:58:10PM
I get what you are saying, I cant remember seeing anyone bragging on this site though. Sounds more like Sherdog. The only thing I can remember here which really had me lol'ing was when Danny81 kept telling Fedorwins1 that he was "moving his hands too much" and that he was going to "get knocked out", which was just total bs, but no matter how many people told him to shut up he never did.

I have nothing to brag about, I havnt fought in Judo since I was like 14, so its 4 years, I cant even remember the names of the people I won or lost too, and Its going to be a long time before I step in the ring for Muay Thai yet. Will probably be at least a year before I'm ready for my first fight.

But I know what you mean about braggarts. Its just bs, mostly completely unsubstantiated too.
Jackelope
9/16/07 4:27:33PM
I don't compete in any form of martial arts tournament anymore, but back when I did I guess maybe I would have agreed with you. Now, as an older and wiser person I'm not sure I would.

As for surrounding yourself with cheerleaders I know what you mean, as well, but I think it's all a part of the developing into a fighter process. At my old school we called it the "Tiger Ego" because it would usually happen around orange to purple belt. Guys would start actually developing some sort of skill to the point that they could probably work the average guy over a bit. At those belts they are at the top of the "beginner" food chain. Once they got past that into their blues and greens they were introduced to more difficult techniques and better fighters to the point that it would be very discouraging for them and it would completely deflate their "tiger ego"

I come from a more philosophical martial arts background than your average MMA fan I'm sure, but I see it all as a necessary process. I think the process of going through that ego and having it crushed helps build character in a fighter and is the defining moment for when they reach maturity as a fighter. In my opinion all of the great fighters in the world know that they are not the best fighter in the world and that any number of people could take them out on any given sunday. So, I say embrace your tiger ego, brag all you want, and surround yourself by as many cheerleaders as possible because no matter how many people you're hiding behind that are puffing up your bravado one day you're going to find that one guy who busts through all of that and teaches you a lesson you're very much in need of learning. It's all part of developing as a person and as a martial artist.

On one more side note: to be honest I can't remember the last time I saw somebody say they would beat a certain fighter. Sounds like ignorance opening it's big, fat, mouth if they ever did. Either that, or it sounds like a perfect opening for the mod hammer to strike
Omega
9/16/07 7:48:31PM
Just got back from bowling:

It's not so much of "I can beat a fighter" but when I saw "I'm a white belt but I tapped a blue belt" on one thread it just made me shake my head. There's a reason I stay away from Sherdog forums, haven't been on there if over 5 years.

As for your comment Jackelope, I don't think you understand what I'm trying to say. I own a gym that has 50% mma participants and 50% traditional martial arts participants. I understand ego very well and realize that's what people need in order to have that edge to compete. I'm talking about the guys who do mucho talking but never really even get started. The guys who believe kicking the asses of all their untrained friends makes them a badass. The guys on internet forums that want to brag what they're going to do or what they intend to do but haven't even started training yet.
fullerene
9/16/07 8:44:30PM
If you want a thread with guys (I think a lot of them seriously) thinking they could beat UFC-level fighters you can look here: http://www.mmaplayground.com/forums/topic7667-1.html

Some decent posts there, but a few are ridiculous.

To Omega's point I think the most confident posters are the ones who probably have the least competitive experience.
loonytnt
9/16/07 9:07:10PM
ive tapped brown and black belts in BBJ before, IMO who cares no reason to be like ''i just tapped so and so'' i love BBJ, ive been tapped by so many people i cant remember, so yeah i know what you mean, i hear a lot of people sayin this i just look and go to the next forum, but its cool to vent tho, when i do it i feel better so you vent all you need
NatedawgThaM
9/16/07 9:24:27PM

Posted by loonytnt

ive tapped brown and black belts in BBJ before, IMO who cares no reason to be like ''i just tapped so and so'' i love BBJ, ive been tapped by so many people i cant remember, so yeah i know what you mean, i hear a lot of people sayin this i just look and go to the next forum, but its cool to vent tho, when i do it i feel better so you vent all you need

Plus anybody can get caught in a submission not taking your subs away over black belts at JJ & BJJ but its just a simple fact everybody can get caught by a punch & a sub like Anderson got caught by Chonen, so does that mean these losers have that much skills? maybe alittle..
Rush
9/16/07 11:28:37PM
Omega

Your description is pretty much the reason I stopped watching UFC events from the sidewalk at a local sports bar. I got tired of hearing these guys talk about how tough they are.

I've trained in martial arts for well over a decade and have always trained on the harder side. I know for a fact that 99% of them wouldn't last one month in my classes.

It used to bother me, but I am at the point now where I am satisfied with the fact that I know these guys are talking out of their ass.
Omega
9/16/07 11:39:24PM

Posted by Rush

Omega

Your description is pretty much the reason I stopped watching UFC events from the sidewalk at a local sports bar. I got tired of hearing these guys talk about how tough they are.

I've trained in martial arts for well over a decade and have always trained on the harder side. I know for a fact that 99% of them wouldn't last one month in my classes.

It used to bother me, but I am at the point now where I am satisfied with the fact that I know these guys are talking out of their ass.

Yup, I stopped watching on the sidewalks of bars for that reason too.
Jackelope
9/17/07 12:21:07AM

Posted by Omega

Just got back from bowling:

It's not so much of "I can beat a fighter" but when I saw "I'm a white belt but I tapped a blue belt" on one thread it just made me shake my head. There's a reason I stay away from Sherdog forums, haven't been on there if over 5 years.

As for your comment Jackelope, I don't think you understand what I'm trying to say. I own a gym that has 50% mma participants and 50% traditional martial arts participants. I understand ego very well and realize that's what people need in order to have that edge to compete. I'm talking about the guys who do mucho talking but never really even get started. The guys who believe kicking the asses of all their untrained friends makes them a badass. The guys on internet forums that want to brag what they're going to do or what they intend to do but haven't even started training yet.

Ahh... well, by all means then, I agree!
Svartorm
9/17/07 1:10:40AM

Posted by loonytnt

im a fighter and i hear you all the way, i got guys sayin if i got into fightin id be champ in a year, i run a busness so i cant just laugh in his face, most people that join my gym dont stay, its to hard for them, fightin in mma is not joke its something that you have in you, there are to many people out there that think because a guy lost they would kill them, that not right

i feel you all the way

Awesome! Does your gym have a website?
Stickan
9/17/07 2:07:53AM
I love the "dreamers" who think they could kick everybody┬┤s ass. How else would we hard workers be able to look good?

But seriously I don't see what the big problem is. Even though I havn't been around martial arts all my life I see this as a simple maturity issue. Some people are younger, some people are older, some mature faster than others and some are childish for life and some people and newbies and some are experts.

There are people that talk shit, lie and brag about stuff everywhere. if this was a hockey forum, some less mature guys would probably say that they would out-skate Pavel Bure if they got the chance to.

I don't care about these posters as long as they're not bashing other posters.
fullerene
9/17/07 8:26:51AM
I do see a potential problem if a legitimate newcomer to the sport comes on here to get advice--let's say about learning how to punch. One or two guys recommend going to a boxing gym and learning the punch combinations and drilling with mits and bags and gradually moving on to sparring. Ten other guys say "boxing is BS, if you want to be a fighter you learn how to punch by sparring. Oh, and if you want to do MMA you should always spar with MMA gloves".

Why would that person think the 10 "mma glove sparring" responses are wrong? Hopefully they can read through the BS or check the received props of the posters, but the value of the forums is decreased when people who don't know what they are talking about are the most conspicuous posters. I don't think you can prevent this completely, but an occasional thread like this one is helpful IMO.
loonytnt
9/17/07 11:56:31AM

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by loonytnt

i feel you all the way

Awesome! Does your gym have a website?

working on it, i got some guys trainin for a fight in oct so i havent been pushin a site to hard, im fightin in it to so i hope i dont get beat up to bad lol
Svartorm
9/18/07 2:37:07AM
Cool. Whats the event called?
Svartorm
9/18/07 2:43:06AM

Posted by fullerene

I do see a potential problem if a legitimate newcomer to the sport comes on here to get advice--let's say about learning how to punch. One or two guys recommend going to a boxing gym and learning the punch combinations and drilling with mits and bags and gradually moving on to sparring. Ten other guys say "boxing is BS, if you want to be a fighter you learn how to punch by sparring. Oh, and if you want to do MMA you should always spar with MMA gloves".

Why would that person think the 10 "mma glove sparring" responses are wrong? Hopefully they can read through the BS or check the received props of the posters, but the value of the forums is decreased when people who don't know what they are talking about are the most conspicuous posters. I don't think you can prevent this completely, but an occasional thread like this one is helpful IMO.

Thats exactly why we like to keep the fakes from posting advice. There are a few less-than-credible folks on here at any given time, which is why if you see advice you think is BS or a poster you feel is BS, feel free to speak up, either here or in PMs with myself or Omega.

We've got a good core groups of guys giving advice, like yourself and Rush, and a good core group of beginners asking good questions, like fedorwins1 and jackelope. Thats the kind of group dynamic I was hoping we could keep going on this forum.
Omega
9/21/07 3:38:23PM

Posted by Stickan

I love the "dreamers" who think they could kick everybody┬┤s ass. How else would we hard workers be able to look good?

But seriously I don't see what the big problem is. Even though I havn't been around martial arts all my life I see this as a simple maturity issue. Some people are younger, some people are older, some mature faster than others and some are childish for life and some people and newbies and some are experts.

There are people that talk shit, lie and brag about stuff everywhere. if this was a hockey forum, some less mature guys would probably say that they would out-skate Pavel Bure if they got the chance to.

I don't care about these posters as long as they're not bashing other posters.

Oh yeah!!!! (get's out bashing poster bat)

How dare you pick better than me and rank higher than me in all possible You're an ass.....you heard me.....(green with envy)
The-Don
5/16/08 7:23:38PM
Ok WEll I personally don;t talk alot of shit.. I do want to train and compete my problem is I don't have the money to go to an actuall MMA gym or alot of extra time during the day... most of my free time is at night... 11pm and on I go to the regular gym near me 3-4 nights a week and hit the bags and do all I can but my big problem is finding someone to train with.. I know I need sparring work espically for my stand up game. And I'll roll with anyone regardless of thier skill level.

I have found that those with less expereince allow me to practice technique and control, while when I am working with someone better then me... I am able to go all out Sadly among my local group of peers I train with I am technically the best grappler but not as good as I know I can be.

so for a guy in my situation who wants to compete but just has scheduling conflicts what do you guys recomend? cause I am sure there are guys out there besdies myself who just don't have the time or money to go to a regular MMA gym.. in my area its $100+ a month... I got a wife and kids, mortgage, car payments etc.. so that is what I feel like.. I can train a pure beginner... but I need a coach for me.. someone who can push me to my next level and beyond... will I got pro? I have no clue I am 30... so who knows.. some say its too late.. but It is not like I have never stepped into a dojo before either.. Advice?
lance70301
6/20/08 6:48:05PM
Cage B.S. 21...lol
jgtribbett
6/22/08 12:08:15PM
i've doen a handful of months of bjj and one amature mma fight in a little cage in the middle of no where...

i dont consider my self i fighter...but!!

i have said.. and this is as far as it goes..

that the better than average athlete... giving the same lifestyle, coaches and training partners... would be better tahn tim sylvia.. and i think that, that is something i could legitimately say without feeling bad...

sorry.. just started thinking about it when i read this post
cmill21
6/24/08 12:29:30AM
The one thing that i've read on this site that pissed me off was someone saying K-1 fighters aren't "tough" because they fight with "pillows" on their hands...The guy who said that has clearly never been hit with a K-1 regulation glove...hell even 16 oz gloves don't feel nice hitting you in the face lol.