Velocity Diet

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Velocity Diet
StevenSeagal
1/11/08 3:28:33PM
Whats up guys. On Monday 1/14 I will be starting the Velocity Diet. If you havent heard of it, do a little google for it. Rather strict and different. But I have two friends that are monsterous trainers that have put their clients on it for the 28 days and there has been dramatic results. I just never felt like attempting lol. But after anyone takes a look at the diet and decides to go at it, let me know. keep track of the progress on here. get before weight, body fat (if u have calipers), inches on waist, chest, legs, and arms. Ill be putting up some before pics and then at the end of the 28 days ill put up the afters.
bayonetxwork
1/11/08 5:12:13PM
hmm, sounds interesting, but insanely harsh. if you can't lose weight on a regular diet, good luck on this one. i'm no nutrition expert, but i've done my fair share of research, experimentation, etc.but it seems to add up, the only downfall being you...uhh...don't eat at all. all the props to you if you can stick to this for a month, the loss of weight would be huge due to such a low caloric intake.

the thing that scares me is the similarity between the regular day schedule, and the workout day schedule. i clearly don't think it would be possible to put on any muscle, but depending upon the person you MIGHT be able to keep the muscle mass you have.

oh, and heres a link for others that wish to contribute http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=546491&pageNo=0
StevenSeagal
1/12/08 2:45:52AM
yeah its def not for everyone. I'm more or less doing it out of curiosity lol. plus a chance to take some weight off. I already eat strict so why not I guess. Ill be getting around 1900 cals on workout days, and 1600 on non. Pics coming soon. Prob put some up on sunday or monday. Thanks for posting the link though
Rush
1/12/08 11:10:56AM
IMO, a diet based mostly on "non-food" is not good, but that is me.
StevenSeagal
1/14/08 9:23:19AM
The blog begins:

Day 1:

Height: 6'1"
Weight: 210lbs
BF%: need a battery in my caliper lol post later
Pics: taken today, will be posted shortly.

Daily nutrition lineup:

5 shakes a day with 50grams pro, 6grams of milled flax seed, and ice cubs and cold water.

On workout days, same shake setup but post workout replaces my flax with bottle of gatorade for glycogen restoration.

Shake after that is back to regular plus 10 capsules of my omega complex.

*** Day one isnt bad so far. Had one shake lol... My calorie spread is around 1900 on a workout day and 1600 on a non workout day. Weights are hit 3 times a week on my normal 3 day split that has worked wonders so far. Cardio is reduced to non workout days which is Tuesday, Thursday, and Sat or Sunday. Cardio is now a brisk walk for 30 mins or slow on the eliptical machine. Depending on if I need it or not I have some extra fiber to be taken on the side.
My preworkout supplements are: Taurine, Acetyl L-Carnitine, and Vitamin C powder in a little orange juice. This helps maintain my central nervous system and are great antioxidants. Other than that I'll be adding some Sesamin Oil to my shakes in the morning along with my daily multivitamin. ***

Check back for pics and more updates
Baseball14
1/14/08 3:20:16PM
wow that is a crazy diet you should get a really good friend to do ti with you so the two fo you can keep one another strong and honest.
StevenSeagal
1/14/08 7:33:54PM

Posted by Baseball14

wow that is a crazy diet you should get a really good friend to do ti with you so the two fo you can keep one another strong and honest.

lol whats up man. im gonna put some pics up now
StevenSeagal
1/14/08 7:36:33PM

Posted by StevenSeagal

The blog begins:

Day 1:

Height: 6'1"
Weight: 210lbs
BF%: need a battery in my caliper lol post later
Pics: taken today, will be posted shortly.

Daily nutrition lineup:

5 shakes a day with 50grams pro, 6grams of milled flax seed, and ice cubs and cold water.

On workout days, same shake setup but post workout replaces my flax with bottle of gatorade for glycogen restoration.

Shake after that is back to regular plus 10 capsules of my omega complex.

*** Day one isnt bad so far. Had one shake lol... My calorie spread is around 1900 on a workout day and 1600 on a non workout day. Weights are hit 3 times a week on my normal 3 day split that has worked wonders so far. Cardio is reduced to non workout days which is Tuesday, Thursday, and Sat or Sunday. Cardio is now a brisk walk for 30 mins or slow on the eliptical machine. Depending on if I need it or not I have some extra fiber to be taken on the side.
My preworkout supplements are: Taurine, Acetyl L-Carnitine, and Vitamin C powder in a little orange juice. This helps maintain my central nervous system and are great antioxidants. Other than that I'll be adding some Sesamin Oil to my shakes in the morning along with my daily multivitamin. ***

Check back for pics and more updates

The end of day 1 is near. One shake left. Did my post workout stuff with some simple carbs. Not a bad first day. Might need to up the fiber.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
StevenSeagal
1/14/08 7:43:32PM
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
StevenSeagal
1/15/08 12:54:48PM
Day 2:

Same setup. Today I dont have the simple carbs, due to no weight training. I have modified the diet a little. I looked at my protein blend and it is a concentrate and isolate blend. I thought there was some casein in the mix. So to fix the potential insulin spike before bed, I am replacing the protein shake with 50g protein of turkey or chicken (around 7oz). Ill combine this with the flax and omega complex caps as well; same as if it were a shake. The animal protein will hopefully breakdown slower and not spike my insulin as much before bed. Problem solved, although the "liquid" aspect is changed... whatever.

My workout:
Geared towards volume

Monday- Chest (decline or flat barbell and machine fly's)
Shoulders (hammer strength press machine, or dumb presses)
Tri (rope pull down or rope overhead extension. Rope is nice finish since u've already hit the tri's with bench and shoulders)
Abs(cable crunch and leg throws)

Tuesday- Cardio(brisk incline walk or low eliptical)

Wednesday- Back(wide grip pulldown and close grip pulldown or row)
Bicep(seated or standing dumb curls and one arm isolation curls)

Thursday- Cardio(brisk incline walk or low eliptical)

Friday- Legs(leg press and hamstring curls...back issues or it would be squats)

Sat or Sun- Cardio(brisk incline walk or low eliptical)

***Why not do more? Cuz with lower carbs, restricted cals, and cardio; I need to spare muscle as much as possible and keep my central nervous system going strong. No need to not be able to move the next day. It is counterproductive. You dont need to obliterate your muscles for them to grow.***
StevenSeagal
1/17/08 11:04:17AM
Day 4:

Whats up guys. Ive droped bout 3 pounds so far. Not bad. Mostly water probably. The hunger cravings arent as bad as I thought they'd be. Prob cuz my cals aren't that low to begin with. The cardio and weights are going great so far. The low carb's havent been an issue with mood, or performance as of yet. I notice i feel a lil less bloated. Its still very early but, I like how im feeling so far. Hit chest, shoulders, tri's and abs on monday. Back, and bi's yesterday. No strength loss as of yet. Still feel crisp. My cardio is going nice. 30 minutes decent pace at average 155-160 bpm on the heart monitor yields 300 cals for me according to the machine (which is an estimate). Overall, no complaints. The plain turkey or chicken with flax as my last meal is working a lot better. even though im getting same amount of protein as a shake, its a nice mental boost to actually chew something.
bayonetxwork
1/19/08 4:03:32PM
keep it up man. you're already about 4 days longer into than I would make it.
StevenSeagal
1/21/08 2:07:39PM
Day 7:

Not much to report. First weekend where my shakes werent structured around work schedule. I slept late on sat and sun, so messed up my shakes a lil. had my solid meal. some fish and pasta. back to the grind now. Next weekend will be lil more strict with timing for meals.
StevenSeagal
2/1/08 9:52:08AM
Day whatever:

I have modified this diet too much for it to be worthy to keep posting on it. As expected the liquid was not working as good as I hoped. My strength had gone down some, and I wasnt havin that lol. I need to be able to get guys off me when I roll.

Plus to add to it the constant liquid was wreaking havoc on my terd... sorry if u dont wanna hear about my crap, but it was a major issue with my bad stomach...

I have kept about the same setup protein intake wise but have cut my shakes from 5 a day down to 2. The other protein feedings come from animal protein that breaks down slower. (Good for night time)... plus fills me up more. Breakfast is usually a fiberous cereal or even a Protein shake if im in a hurry.

I did some research on blood sugar and insulin response to whey isolate protein. Even though the protein shakes have little to no carbs in them, the fast acting whey isolate that I have been using still causes an insulin spike... As you know it is best to keep your insulin from spiking as much as possible... So in essence I was spiking my insulin around 5 times a day... Though the spike was not as considerable as compared to dextrose, it was still spiking none the less... So I chose to avoid this, another reason I chose to heavily modify the Velocity Diet...(Protein from solid animal sources were found to have little to no impact on insulin)

So in conclusion:
I am still following a lower carb diet, and hitting the same amount of Pro a day...
But doing it in a different fashion. The hunger, insulin issues, crap issues, and strength issues, were not worth it in my book...

BOO to Velocity Diet... lol

Sidenote:
I am still interested in keeping an online posting journal of my fitness and weight goals if anyone is down to join with posting... Def helps if others are into it and have the same goals...
Kind of a mini wight-loss challange that was supposed to be going on with this site... post here or PM if interested.