Vegetarian sport diet

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Vegetarian sport diet
Ayuka
9/2/08 8:54:49PM
I'm a vegetarian, I don't eat meat(including fish and chicken)

Any good diets for me that are also for someone who's training?
Rush
9/2/08 9:12:16PM
gotta eat beans for protein.

make sure you take a vitamin supplement especially for vitamin B12.
loller90278
9/3/08 4:07:09AM
nuts are excellent for a source of protein & fiber. talk to your Dr. to see what kind of supplements you should take for a sport diet. I recommend fish oil. i'm also somewhat a vegetarian, as i rarely eat meat and dine at vegan places only and opt for the veggie burger whenever i can at places.

DiabloFreak56
9/3/08 11:07:49AM
dude i wasnt making fun of you i swear... i figured since this is a forum i can voice my opinion. its my view on vegiterians i feel like everyone should be eating meat. i understand its a personal choice, but i just dont see how youd turn good food away for lettuce and veggies. which i really do like but i mean itts kinda hard not to eat a piece of steak. i said no offense dude. its just how i feel on the situation
Rush
9/3/08 11:26:37AM

Posted by DiabloFreak56

dude i wasnt making fun of you i swear... i figured since this is a forum i can voice my opinion. its my view on vegiterians i feel like everyone should be eating meat. i understand its a personal choice, but i just dont see how youd turn good food away for lettuce and veggies. which i really do like but i mean itts kinda hard not to eat a piece of steak. i said no offense dude. its just how i feel on the situation

Please choose the wording of a post carefully as to not insult fellow members. If you do not agree with vegan diets, feel free to make a thread discussing it, but don't give the guy a hard time when he's asking for help with his training.

I have dealt with the issues in this thread. Please carry on discussing the actual topic at hand
Rush
9/3/08 11:28:59AM
Another thing you could do is look at Mac Danzig's website. He might have something there for vegans.

About the fish oil suggestion, well if he doesn't eat fish, then why would he take a fish oil supplement.

Same goes for whey protein. Whey is from milk and vegetarians that avoid dairy should also aviod whey protein. There are Soy protein isolates out there. I tried one to cut back on lactose, but it just ended up upsetting my stomach.
SpiderSilva
9/3/08 2:59:03PM
I repect all vegetaians for the chocie they make I myself am a meat a tairian
Ayuka
9/4/08 6:21:41PM
I'm a vegetarian because I feel sorry for animals
mikevolz
9/5/08 12:54:06PM
Milk. lots and lots of milk

as long as your not vegan, its the highest quality protein that a vegetarian can get, (some veg's say they eat eggs, if you're one of those types, eat lots of eggs) if not, milk.

whey protein is a fairly good source (especially for veg's)

be sure to get some carbs whenever you eat your protein, being a vegetarian means you're cutting off a lot of the high quality protein's out of your diets (fish, white meat, red meat, possibly eggs) so you are going to need all the help digesting protein you can get. i personally have a hard time digesting protein, so when i was really working out, i would eat 15 grams of protein, with a ratio of 4-1 carbs to protein every 2-3 hours.

but everyone is different, i know people who can easily do 30 grams.

in the end, MILK.
The-Don
9/6/08 2:20:51PM
true it all depends on weather you cut out all animal products or just the ones they have to kill the animal to get.. a lot of vegs drink milk cause the animal is not killed to get it.. so that allwos milk, cheese and other dairy products.. if you do not eat any animal product your then a vegan and you need to look into Soy and other sources consult your doctor and a dietician you will be sorely lacking important nutrients if you don't do so..
Aaronno9
9/6/08 11:21:37PM
Mac Danzig actually has a video lurking about somewhere giving advice on how to maintain a vegan diet and be in fighting shape. I just use supplements to make up for not eating meat and im in pretty good shape on my current diet, but im nowhere near in good enough shape to fight.