Vegetarian Diet?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Vegetarian Diet?
innovater450
7/27/09 8:04:59AM
Been hearing about different guys trying this kind of vegetarian diet. Says it gives them alot more energy and is alot easier to shed the pounds before a fight. Heard alot of guys toatally cut out red meat, chicken, milk, etc. It consists of eating alot of veggies, fruits, drinking soy milk instead of whole milk, and taking alot of protein shakes. anyone out there ever try this type of diet, and if so what kind of feedback can you give?
telnights
7/27/09 11:06:52PM
I haven't but know few guys that love it and a few that hate it. I think it all depends on the person.
Jackelope
7/27/09 11:53:52PM
I'm of the philosophy that eliminating meat from your diet is a no-no. I could get into the scientific reasons for it, but I'd rather just sum it up by saying "Look how much good it has done for Mac Danzig in the UFC"

Don't be a hippy.. eat meat.
innovater450
7/28/09 6:57:37AM

Posted by Jackelope

I'm of the philosophy that eliminating meat from your diet is a no-no. I could get into the scientific reasons for it, but I'd rather just sum it up by saying "Look how much good it has done for Mac Danzig in the UFC"

Believe me, i grew up in the country where thats all i know. Im just gonna give it a trial run and see what happens. Been doing alot of research (all that scientific stuff) and everyone has a different opinion. I'll keep ya'll posted. I just don't ever see myself not eating burgers and chickenwings ever again,
Jackelope
7/28/09 10:29:05AM
Just remember that protein shakes and beans aren't complete proteins.

Also- Frank Mir went on the veggie diet before he fought Brock Lesnar this last time. Boom. He lost.

Another thing- Don't forget that the administrator of this site's name is "Hippysmacker" take your chances as you will
emfleek
7/28/09 10:49:11AM

Posted by Jackelope

Ha...I love it. This has the potential to be a great bumper sticker.
Wolfenstein
7/28/09 5:54:42PM

Posted by Jackelope

Mmmmhmmm... this guy knows what he's talking about. Tofu will sap your strength, that is a fact. One minute you're a beast, next thing you know you're eating Tofu burgers and watching reruns of Rainbow Bright while you're struggling to curl those 2lb softgrip aerobic weights that your mom uses with her Denise Austin videos. Don't be that guy.

If you're going to eliminate red meat, then I would probably include fish into my diet. You can also choose meats that are lower in fat like pork tenderloin, flank steak, and sirloin tips. Skinless chicken is a lean meat, and pretty low in fat--I don't really see it being beneficial to eliminate it.
Rush
7/28/09 9:43:19PM
IMO, the best thing that you can do for your diet is to eat good quality food. That is, lean meat that is not processed, local produce and grains that are high in fibre, get a good dose of healthy fats, etc.. That will take you much farther than trying to eliminate a whole food group.

You don't actually need to eat a lot of meat for a healthy diet. A piece of meat about the size of a deck of cards is all you need for a meal. In addition, the highest quality of protein you can get is from egg.

Putting the fighters that are part- full-time vegetarians aside, almost every vegetarian I know is so thin and weak it looks like a stiff breeze will blow them over. The ones that look normal are the ones that still eat milk, cheese, eggs, etc.
BunnyHugger
8/8/09 10:08:01AM
I take offense to your nonsensical post. I've been a vegetarian (almost vegan) for 12 years, and you won't find a paper thin, pasty white hippy. Best thing anyone can do when beginning a vegetarian diet is to do research. Also, most veggie burgers are NOT made out of tofu. I personally find tofu gross. A lot of vegetarian "meats" are now available at your local grocery store. Some include, "chicken breast", "turkey", "roasts", veggie burgers, "brats", "ribs", "sausage" and the list goes on and on. All these items have complete proteins. And most of these items actually have MORE protein than real meat. You can try protein shakes, but personally, I don't like them and I've never needed them. Vegetarian diets give you more energy. Meat diets tend to drag you down. There's a lot of vegetarian atheletes who do very well.
Rush
8/8/09 12:27:48PM

Posted by BunnyHugger

I take offense to your nonsensical post. I've been a vegetarian (almost vegan) for 12 years, and you won't find a paper thin, pasty white hippy. Best thing anyone can do when beginning a vegetarian diet is to do research. Also, most veggie burgers are NOT made out of tofu. I personally find tofu gross. A lot of vegetarian "meats" are now available at your local grocery store. Some include, "chicken breast", "turkey", "roasts", veggie burgers, "brats", "ribs", "sausage" and the list goes on and on. All these items have complete proteins. And most of these items actually have MORE protein than real meat. You can try protein shakes, but personally, I don't like them and I've never needed them. Vegetarian diets give you more energy. Meat diets tend to drag you down. There's a lot of vegetarian atheletes who do very well.

LOL, makes me laugh. Don't accuse people of being nonsensical when your post is filled with nonsense. This comes off as trolling (if I were still a mod I would certainly be running your IP through the search engine) when you sign up and make your first post in the manner of which you did.

1) There is more to meat than just protein. I am unaware of any natural plant based product that contains a higher concentration of protein than meat. IF you know of one, speak up.

2) Vegetarian diets do not give you more energy. There are reasons why many vegetarians are pale, thin and lack strength and energy. They are typically deficient in iron and vitamin B12. Medical doctors know this and it is why they usually test for levels of iron and B12 in vegetarians, but not people with a complete diet. When you do not get enough protein in your diet, your body will steal it from your muscles.

3) If you read my post I do not include all vegetarians in my assessment. One of my best friends has recently gone vegetarian and is strong and healthy. However, he still eats fish, eggs, cheese and drinks milk. I guaruntee you he is not eating the processed garbage that is sold in grocery stores.

4) Meat can slow you down, I agree, if you eat too much. If I eat too much meat I my joints get sore, which is why I don't eat large portions of meat. As I stated in my post, I said that you don't need to eat a lot of meat and that most people eat too much.

5) Protein shakes (with the exception of the few soy based ones) consists of whey powder which is isolated from cow milk. The quality of whey protein is assayed against egg white protein because egg white protein is the highest quality of protein out there.
ultimateweapon
8/13/09 10:28:38PM
eat meat
mikevolz
9/2/09 2:55:12AM
quality of protein, not quantity

protein is absorbed at different percentages based on where it comes from, freshness, your body, what is eaten with it. blah blah blah.

eggs
fish
white meat
milk
red meat

those are the proteins your body absorb best. have fun finding other main sources of protein on the diet of any successful professional athlete where anaerobic activity is a focus.

not listed

beans
soy
nuts

tell me how many vegetarians are in the nfl? champion wrestlers? competitive powerlifters? mma fighters? olympic runners (not long distance)?

there are very many benefits to living a vegetarian lifestyle, and more people in this country could benefit from those. Those people however, are not competitive athletes.