Varner Responds To "Mouthpiece-gate"

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Varner Responds To "Mouthpiece-gate"
DCRage
2/22/08 10:21:02AM
WEC Lightweight Champion Jamie Varner has posted a response to his illegal calling of a timeout in his fight against then-Champion Rob McCullough at WEC 32 to recover his lost mouthpiece, which is being referred to by some as "mouthpiece-gate".

Article
GlancyMMA
2/22/08 12:06:00PM
The whole thing is being blown way out of proportion. The mouth piece was lost, the action continued. It was only after Varner got out of hit the tie up/ground and pound that the action was stopped.

The only reason this is an issue is because varner asked for the time out. The ref should have given it as soon as the action broke and they began to circle anyway.

completely legit.

and I love Varners responce...

"Did the mouthpiece rest help me? No I was 13 minutes into the biggest fight of my life, I needed a day to recover not a few seconds."

dust
2/22/08 1:24:41PM
The referee should have called the timeout himself. Varner did the work of a fighter and quality referee. He also wiped out the overrated McCullough.
roman
2/22/08 2:31:03PM

Posted by dust

The referee should have called the timeout himself. Varner did the work of a fighter and quality referee. He also wiped out the overrated McCullough.

Amen. It's completely legit what to do what he did. Even if he did do it to recover a bit, it's within the rules so bitch and whine all you want but he won fair and square.
buryyourdead
2/22/08 2:55:31PM
I,ve seen guys fight whole rounds with no mouthpiece before. I'm not gonna sit here and act like it changed the fight because Varner was taking it to Rob. I just thought it smelled fishy. Varner definetly hung out and leaned on the cage for an extra 15 seconds too.
stock
2/22/08 4:12:56PM
I think it is a complete non issue.
Mazz was probably going to stop the action right there anyway. It just appeared that Mazz was granting the timeout due to the timing of the whole thing.
jae_1833
2/22/08 8:02:16PM
Remember that Rob was gettting the same rest as Jamie, although he was hot at the time it was called. Had the ref noticed the mouthpiece he would have called the timeout himself anyways. Nice KO Jamie!!!!
StevieC
2/23/08 9:50:38AM
Who cares Varner was completely dominating the whole fight from start to finish....It was great to see! He should stay in the WEC for a little while because he is just an average fighter in the UFC....
BlazinSaddle
2/23/08 4:40:12PM
anybody in the top 10 would run this guy over, mma dosnt need anymore cockiness anyway, some ppl like this kind of behavior but its bad sportsmanship and i hope anybody whos a smack talker gets beat down
Kracker_Jap
2/23/08 4:45:31PM

Posted by BlazinSaddle

anybody in the top 10 would run this guy over, mma dosnt need anymore cockiness anyway, some ppl like this kind of behavior but its bad sportsmanship and i hope anybody whos a smack talker gets beat down

Tell us how you really feel

I love the smack talk FYI

it wouldn't very exciteing if fighters ran around with a golf/tennis attitude

They are fighters because they don't have good communication skills
BlazinSaddle
2/23/08 4:49:41PM
theres a certain way to hype fights ya know, disrespecting and showboating after a fight is not one of them, this sport is suppose to have credability and stuff like that dosnt help

besides do you really care what i think? i just dont like this mentality no big deal duder
Kracker_Jap
2/23/08 4:53:35PM

Posted by BlazinSaddle

besides do you really care what i think? i just dont like this mentality no big deal duder

Now I'm confused
BlazinSaddle
2/23/08 4:56:33PM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Posted by BlazinSaddle

Now I'm confused

do i need to slow down?
Kracker_Jap
2/23/08 4:59:38PM
No Go fast I like it when I learn new words like DUDER

and to get on subject what was so trashy about what varner said??
BlazinSaddle
2/23/08 5:19:27PM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

yeah you like that duder? thought so

i dont like the disrespect, hes just one fighter out of many that do it, its more of a broad view of dislike i have for fighters like that, im not gonna waste my time and quote things he said and does, so we'll just agree to disagree then, you like that sort of thing i dont really care, good for you guy lol
wolfman
2/23/08 6:14:03PM

Posted by BlazinSaddle

Posted by Kracker_Jap

yeah you like that duder? thought so

i dont like the disrespect, hes just one fighter out of many that do it, its more of a broad view of dislike i have for fighters like that, im not gonna waste my time and quote things he said and does, so we'll just agree to disagree then, you like that sort of thing i dont really care, good for you guy lol

In his fights with Sherron and Jason, he was extremely arrogant and cocky. I agree that the guy is arrogant, yet I like to watch him fight because he always brings it. As for him being cocky or disrespectful after his win over Rob, I sure as hell didn't see any disrespect or animosity towards the former champ. Hell, he even called Rob a great champ and a tough mother F----er. Remember, he is only 23. He is still young and I think someday he will be a force in the UFC. I have said this before and will say it again. In his UFC debut he gave an arguably top ten fighter a run for his money, think of how good he will be down the road. So, share the hate for something more important...
BlazinSaddle
2/23/08 9:21:23PM
now were back to opinion based statements like "share the hate about something more important, exactly what is more important? respect is the most important part of fighting maybe hes just all talk and goes into the game with respect whatever but if you dont respect your opponent you dont respect yourself, and if you dont respect yourself you dont get far in life
wolfman
2/23/08 10:16:33PM

Posted by BlazinSaddle

now were back to opinion based statements like "share the hate about something more important, exactly what is more important? respect is the most important part of fighting maybe hes just all talk and goes into the game with respect whatever but if you dont respect your opponent you dont respect yourself, and if you dont respect yourself you dont get far in life

I was being sarcastic with that line. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. A lot, if not all fighters hype up themselves before fights, it is very common. I agree, respect is very important and he clearly showed that after their fight.
bls1919
2/23/08 11:37:01PM
I really dont have a problem with this. What would the penalty be for an illegal timeout call.....a point maybe? I dont know. Its not like he was being maulled and called for it to stop. He made an escape and back away to call for his mouthpiece
quezocrema0032
2/24/08 2:51:50AM
no i hate the fact hes cocky he said he knows he cant beat hermes francas if they fought againa and im sure everyone knows he cant rite ?
jomatty
2/24/08 9:03:33AM
this is a non issue. it looked weird but how else is he supposed to make sure the ref knows he has lost his mouthpiece and point out that their is now a break in the action.

and he may be cocky but he gave respect to rob after the fight and imo didnt do anything wrong.
EliasG
2/24/08 11:45:01AM
I guess Jamie Varner's mouthpiece knocked the crap out of Rob McC's jaw. Impressive mouthpiece.
wolfman
2/24/08 1:17:47PM

Posted by quezocrema0032

no i hate the fact hes cocky he said he knows he cant beat hermes francas if they fought againa and im sure everyone knows he cant rite ?

You couldn't be more wrong. In his recent statements he said that he does in fact want a rematch. In their first fight he won both rounds 1 and 2. In the third round, Franca was able to pull off a nice sub on a clearly gassed Varner. Varner's inexperience showed in his UFC debut and I believe if they were to fight again he would win a close fought decision. As said before, the guy is young and he is constantly improving.
quezocrema0032
2/24/08 11:28:27PM
doenst sound to me like ur giving francas ne credit he is as far as skill set goes deff top 10 in the world just doesnt fight smart .... i think thats where certain fighters shine just cuz there smart they can get by on there lack of talent or athletisim ... like ken flo and joe lauzon ... not everyone can be a koscheck or a bj penn u need 2 be smart 2 go far and if hermes was smarter and fought better he could be the best in the world
nastshabast
2/24/08 11:34:27PM
something out of nothing again, par for the course in the world of mma
wolfman
2/25/08 10:18:09AM

Posted by quezocrema0032

doenst sound to me like ur giving francas ne credit he is as far as skill set goes deff top 10 in the world just doesnt fight smart .... i think thats where certain fighters shine just cuz there smart they can get by on there lack of talent or athletisim ... like ken flo and joe lauzon ... not everyone can be a koscheck or a bj penn u need 2 be smart 2 go far and if hermes was smarter and fought better he could be the best in the world

No, I agree that Franca is arguably a top ten LW in the UFC. Also, I said Varner would win a CLOSE FOUGHT decision. That is giving him some credit imo. I think he is a smart fighter, in their first fight he showed his veteran experience and was able to pull off that victory. In his fight with Sherk he showed a good game plan and did the best he could with it. He was able to drop Sherk twice with knees and that is pretty impressive in itself. Therefore, I think you are the one not giving him enough credit.
Ogre365
3/26/08 4:48:40PM

Posted by BlazinSaddle

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Posted by BlazinSaddle

Now I'm confused

do i need to slow down?

Yeah slow down for me too because honestly it seems like none of your statements have had any bearing on this topic.

That and I really could'nt make heads or tails of the last sentence in your last post.