Varner Fears Career-Ending Injury

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Varner Fears Career-Ending Injury
grappler0000
1/30/09 12:39:24AM
WEC lightweight champion Jamie Varner’s split decision victory over Donald Cerrone at WEC 38 last Sunday in San Diego, Calif., could become a costly title defense.

“I broke my right index metacarpal, completely fractured,” Varner said on Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show on Wednesday. “So I have to get pins put in it [Thursday]. Then I go next week to see my eye doctor to make sure my retina isn’t detached. And if it’s detached it could be a career-ending injury.”

Varner, who said he is still having trouble with his peripheral vision four days following the injury, has been indefinitely suspended until he can provide medical documentation that says the eye has recovered.

But it was the fight’s stoppage and the reaction it got that might have affected Varner the most.

“What hurt me the most was the crowd. They had no idea about the pain or suffering I was going through,” said Varner. “They had no idea I broke my hand in the first or second round. I don’t know exactly where. I remember one time in the fourth round that I just couldn’t hit him with it. I told my corner that I couldn’t use it anymore.

For Varner, the injuries kept on coming.

“He checked one of my kicks early in the fight and that’s where I fractured my foot,” said the Arizona Combat Sports fighter. “Then I kicked him in the head with it in the fourth and that was it. My foot was completely done. So I walked out for the fifth round with one hand and some takedowns. I had to grind out a decision… I knew the fifth round was going to be boring. I couldn’t offer anything really damaging.”

Varner (16-2) couldn’t see anything out of his right eye immediately following the illegal knee from Cerrone (9-1) that came in the final round and led the referee Josh Rosenthal to halt the bout. When a fighter can’t continue from an unintentional illegal blow, the bout goes to the scorecards. Varner was awarded the split decision...

Link
grappler0000
1/30/09 12:41:31AM
Hopefully this brings all of the negative comments about him wanting a way out to a close. Sounds like he suffered some serious damage to his eye...among other things. Hopefully he can recover.
Twenty20Dollars
1/30/09 1:11:13AM
It just keeps getting worse for varner. Hope everything checks out good for him and he heals up, it would suck to lose a guy like varner.

jiujitsufreak74
1/30/09 1:26:57AM

Posted by grappler0000

Hopefully this brings all of the negative comments about him wanting a way out to a close. Sounds like he suffered some serious damage to his eye...among other things. Hopefully he can recover.

seriously, and it was exactly because this was a possibility that i told people to reserve judgment. you don't how a hurt a fighter is or how much a damage a knee can cause unless you are the one getting hit at that exact moment. i know a guy that got brain damage from getting hit in the head with a soccerball (in high school gym class), i'm sure a knee can do just as much damage if not more.
EvenFlow
1/30/09 1:38:32AM
I thought I was right about this being worse than it seemed, not sure what these others are saying about the injury not being legit, that knee pounded his eye just watch it in slow-mo.
JBatch
1/30/09 1:45:23AM
I was one who questioned the injury. I just thought it was weird he was talking abou breaking his hand and foot and nothing about his eye in his post fight interview. I apologize to anyone I offended and I will try to hold back judgement until the medical facts come out. Varner is a great fighter I hope he can return, I took a nasty poke in the eye in football my vision was messed or a good week and a half.
Aether
1/30/09 2:35:26AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by grappler0000

seriously, and it was exactly because this was a possibility that i told people to reserve judgment. you don't how a hurt a fighter is or how much a damage a knee can cause unless you are the one getting hit at that exact moment. i know a guy that got brain damage from getting hit in the head with a soccerball (in high school gym class), i'm sure a knee can do just as much damage if not more.

Yeah I third that. It's annoying to hear people accuse fighters of faking or looking for a way out, being afraid, or whatever other excuses people come up with. This is what they do all day every day, I don't believe that virtually any fighter fighting at THIS level is ever afraid of their opponent or just trying to quit. They've been through injuries and beatings in practice and previous fights dozens if not hundreds of times, if they were quitters they would almost definitely have chosen another career path long before walking into the ring for a title fight.

If a fighter is acting like he's hurt, it's probably because he's actually hurt.

-edit- and the guy still won the fight... That's what I call a ******* warrior.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
1/30/09 7:57:59AM
damn, dont want to see that, hope everything ends up being standard medical precaution and he's fighting at least later...

and the crowd, what can you say about them????
one benefit from watching on tv is you actually know wtf is going on
Gipper
1/30/09 5:06:18PM
hopefully this shows some of the jack asses that he wasn't faking the injury.
hope everything works out for the guy because he's a damn good fighter.
casey64
1/30/09 5:22:09PM
Man this sucks, I would hate to see someone go out like that, even worse is that he is a champion.