Varner vs Cerrone

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Varner vs Cerrone
POLL: Who's gonna take it?
Varner 58% (15)
Cerrone 42% (11)
Franklinfan47
1/25/09 2:24:45PM
So we all pretty much know that Faber will probably beat Pulver once again tonight, but who do you thinks gonna be the new lw champ? Both have looked awesome lately. I give the edge to Cerrone in subs and Varner in striking, though neither are really slouches any way you look at it.

I'm taking Varner by tko in the later rounds. Cerrone's a beast, but I don't know if I'm sold on him yet.

Thoughts?
Twenty20Dollars
1/25/09 2:36:06PM
Im going with varner 1st or 2nd round tko.

Because in the Cerrone/Razor Rob fight, frank mir was showing how cerrone kept getting hit hard because he hung his left hand low and varner will attack that and tko cerrone.

Varner needs to win because I have him in my parlay and the betting on this WEC event sucks, atleast to me it does.
casey64
1/25/09 3:07:24PM
Varner, I hope.
scoozna
1/25/09 4:35:18PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Im going with varner 1st or 2nd round tko.

Because in the Cerrone/Razor Rob fight, frank mir was showing how cerrone kept getting hit hard because he hung his left hand low and varner will attack that and tko cerrone.

Good point. I hope to see that Cerrone hasn't broken that habit yet.
nickcuc547
1/25/09 5:22:11PM
varner is legit and he is good both on the ground and standing, i think he stops cowboy with strikes, should be a good fight though.
Bowen50
1/25/09 6:55:45PM
if Varner wins it'll be by decision. i'm going Cerrone Round 2 KO/TKO. he's a muay thai champion and i think he'll keep the distance to prevent the takedown and pick Varner apart. he's also got slick submissions considering all of his MMA wins have come by submission besides his fight with Razor Rob. he's also got Greg Jackson in his corner.
EvenFlow
1/25/09 7:07:31PM

Posted by Bowen50

if Varner wins it'll be by decision. i'm going Cerrone Round 2 KO/TKO. he's a muay thai champion and i think he'll keep the distance to prevent the takedown and pick Varner apart. he's also got slick submissions considering all of his MMA wins have come by submission besides his fight with Razor Rob. he's also got Greg Jackson in his corner.

Yeah but he didnt exactly fight like a champion with that bad head movement and gettin' hit almost at will, I see Varner picking him apart for the KO unless Cerrone learns how to use his reach more effectively. Cerrone is beyond Varner on the ground and I would suggest that strategy, it'll be a great main event thats for sure.
cj_striker
1/25/09 8:02:31PM
Varner is going to win, I do like Cowboy, but he needs another year or so before he can think about beating Varner. Varner is legit and belongs in the UFC.
Twenty20Dollars
1/25/09 9:41:04PM
It cerrone can keep his hands up and use his reach I could see him winning.

But razor rob threw some good punches and rocked donald and I think varner could do the same, only finish cerrone.