Vacated Title: Barnett/Fedor

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Vacated Title: Barnett/Fedor
kublakhan
3/26/07 12:47:55PM
I noticed while looking at Josh Barnett's fight history that he beat Couture to win the heavyweight belt in the UFC, but then turned around and left the organization without defending it. What was the deal with that? And is it possible we see something similar from Fedor, maybe where he leaves Pride for the UFC and simply vacates the belt? If Fedor's not under contract, he can just go somewhere else can't he?
pv3Hpv3p
3/26/07 2:24:14PM
I believe with Barnett he was stripped of the title for steroid use....

From Wikipedia:

Barnett made history as the youngest UFC heavyweight champion ever after defeating Randy Couture in early 2002. Later that year, the title was stripped from Barnett after he tested positive for Boldenone, an anabolic steroid. His fighting license was temporarily suspended by the Nevada Athletic Commission.

link
Manfred
3/26/07 2:28:51PM
UFC HW was vacated by Rutten and Couture due to contract disputes, Mir was stripped because he was unable to defend, Barnett and Sylvia had it stripped due to steroids.
madmarck
3/26/07 2:39:25PM

Posted by Manfred

UFC HW was vacated by Rutten and Couture due to contract disputes, Mir was stripped because he was unable to defend, Barnett and Sylvia had it stripped due to steroids.

Pretty much yeah. The Hw title belt has been dropped quite a few times.
as far as i know Rutten wanted to return after he dropped the belt and fight at LHW. but he had so many injuries it was almsot impossible for him to fight.

Randy gave up the belt after beating MO.
Then he came back and beat Randleman for it. Beat Rizzo twice. Then lost it to Barnett, who was stripped right after for testing positive. Then Randy fought Ricco to see for the vacant belt and Couture lost.