UWC 8 Set For 5/22 In DC Area

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » UWC 8 Set For 5/22 In DC Area
DCRage
4/22/10 8:08:27AM

Washington D.C. (April 21, 2010) - UWC® 8 JUDGEMENT DAY is coming! Ultimate Warrior Challenge (UWC) founder and CEO S. Marcello Foran announced that the east coast's professional MMA leader is making its highly-anticipated return to the Washington D.C. region (its sixth area show) with UWC 8 JUDGEMENT DAY scheduled for Saturday, May 22, 2010 at George Mason University's Patriot Center in Fairfax, VA. Tickets, starting at only $28.50, are on sale and can be purchased at all area Ticketmaster outlets and through www.ticketmaster.com.

UWC Bantamweight World Champion Mike "The Hulk" Easton (9-1) will defend his belt against dangerous cage veteran Ryan "Lion" Diaz (17-11) in the show's Main Event. Several other familiar faces to UWC fans are scheduled to compete on the card featuring up to 10 total fights.

They include Easton's teammates Timothy (formerly Reshad) Woods and Ron "Choir Boy" Stallings, local female favorite Iman "Mannie" Achhal and a match between high-flying featherweight John "The Magician" Dodson and Virginia's own undefeated Jessie "Mountain Man" Riggleman. Unbeaten Cuban flyweight and Olympic Bronze Medalist Alexis Vila will make his UWC debut on the card.

Easton, a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt fighting out of the Maryland-based Lloyd Irvin Martial Arts, possesses an arsenal of weapons led by his powerful striking and solid submissions which he has utilized in posting nine wins in ten bouts.

Damn you, Foran! Make the event for a day I can't go! Unless the weather is bad (I have baseball tickets).
bojangalz
4/22/10 10:15:49AM
Orioles vs Nats huh?! I may be going out on a limb here... But I'm guessing you'll probably find seats at one of the other two games of the series if you really wanted to see some DC fight'n action.
DCRage
4/22/10 10:27:04AM
Well, it's theoretically not impossible-4 PM game, 7 PM MMA. And if it's a rainout it's certainly possible. I should add these baseball tickets are being given to me by my boss, a season ticket holder and the Nats' 10 MIllionth Fan, so they are excellent seats (probably lower level behind 3rd base dugout). And may have other certain perks. And this might wind up being my birthday present. But if it were a different day I certainly would've gone to UWC, I've been once and was very impressed and would go again, especially with Easton fighting-the sooner WEC implements the Flyweight division the sooner The Hulk will make it to the big time.
DCRage
5/12/10 8:45:43AM
Jason "Power Ranger" Frank will be fighting on this card. Got this press release from UWC about it:

Washington D.C. (May 2010) - As an actor Jason David Frank was used to battling alien villains as a star on the "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers" television series. Now, the former action hero-turned-Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) fighter will battle the real thing when he takes on 205-pound warrior James Handy inside the cage at UWC® 8 JUDGEMENT DAY on May 22 at the Patriot Center.

The California native, now fighting out of Houston-TX based Rising Sun Karate, will put his 3-0 record on the line in a three-round amateur bout against a tough Chicago opponent who is unbeaten in five contests.

"I know I have a target on my back," said Frank, who goes by "Fearless Frank" and is the founder/CEO of Christian-based MMA clothing company Jesus Didn't Tap. "Everyone is going to want to beat up the Green Ranger. But I am no Kimbo. I've been training for a very long time and know how to handle myself inside the cage."

Frank, an accomplished 6th degree black belt, began martial arts training at age four at Red Dragon Karate, earned his first degree black belt at 12 and opened his own gym at 18. One year later, he put his skills to use when he was cast as the Green Power Ranger "Tommy Oliver" in the popular children's television series "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers." He made 243 total episode actual appearances and 258 character appearances. Frank also stared in the two Power Rangers feature films and recently just finished filming "The One Warrior," an action movie starring MMA superstar Jeff Curran.

He remained active in martial arts while acting and, in 1994, created his own system called "Toso Kune Do" which incorporated numerous fighting styles. He made his amateur debut last January earning a first-round submission. Frank plans to turn professional in the near future.

They also announced 4 sepcial guest appearances: Current TUF contestants Kris McCray (who's from the area) & Jamie Yager plus WEC stars Donald Cerrone & Leonard Garcia.
warglory
5/15/10 12:35:05PM
Jason Frank founded Jesus Didn't Tap?! That's crazy.
DCRage
5/19/10 8:02:14AM
UWC has announced that Saturday's event will be streamed online via PPV for $9.95. Unfortunately for folks like me, they claim it's not available within 100 miles of the Patriot Center in Fairfax, VA. If you buy the PPV you also get 1 week's worth of archive viewing.
DCRage
5/21/10 11:47:48AM
The card's taken a last-minute hit...The main event of Mike Easton vs. Ryan Diaz for the UWC Bantamweight Title is now off. Diaz has been diagnosed with parotitis, an infection that blocks the salivary glands causing swelling and pain.