UWC: Man 'O War Results/Discussion (Spoilers)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » Spoilers Forum » UWC: Man 'O War Results/Discussion (Spoilers)
DCRage
2/21/09 6:02:06PM
We're underway! Live streaming video available for FREE at Sherdog.com. Results:
Kris McCray beat Manny Okorie by submission (rear naked choke) at 4:51 of round 1.
Kyle Baker beat Levon Maynard by TKO (strikes) at 2:57 of round 2.
Iman Achhal beat Felice Herrig by split decision, 29-28 Achhal, 29-28 Herrig, 29-28 Achhal.
John Doyle vs. Cody Donovan
Ron Stallings beat Whisper (Herbert) Goodman by KO at 4:56 of round 1.
Richie Hightower vs. Marcus Foran was declared a No Contest in round 2. Hightower KO'd Foran with elbow strikes that may have been illegal strikes to the back of the head.
John Dodson beat Jose Villirisco by unanimous decision, 2 30-27s and 1 29-28. Dodson did "the tweak" prefight.
Jamal Patterson beat Antwain Britt by submission (guillotine) in 44 seconds.
Mike Easton beat Justin Robbins by submission (guillotine) at 4:44 of round 3 to become the inaugural UWC Bantamweight Champion.

There have been a couple of last-minute changes to the card. As you probably know already, Chase Beebe is off. He was to have faced Easton but claimed he couldn't make weight due to an injury and no-showed for a medical exam. Expect some sanctions forthcoming from the Virginia agency that runs MMA in the state.

Phil Davis, who was to have faced Cody Donovan, is also off for as-yet-unknown reasons. John Doyle is the replacement.
loller90278
2/21/09 6:21:54PM
i have had enough MMA for one day. I can't watch any more!
DCRage
2/21/09 7:18:35PM
Dude...and you call yourself an MMA fan? A true fan can never get enough!

Anyway, the first fight is still about 15 minutes away but the live stream is up and running. Link here:

http://www.sherdog.com/events/UWC-Man-O-War-9326

Window's pretty small but you can stretch it to full-screen.

Also, according to the pre-show promos, the next UWC event, "Capital Punishment", will be April 25.

Update:The first fight is scheduled to start at 7:50 PM ET.
lohmann
2/21/09 7:58:50PM
Chase Beebe just decides to skip the weigh-ins? I know he's competing in the DREAM bantamweight tournament, but not showing up is bad ethics for any fighter (or worker in any profession).

Looking forward to the Jamal Patterson vs. Antwain Britt and basically nothing else, although a flyweight fight is generally never disappointing.
Amigop
2/21/09 8:07:47PM
Yes! the return of antwaih britt. hopefully if he wins the ufc will sign him!
DCRage
2/21/09 8:08:11PM
Beebe claims he had a knee injury that prevented him from making weight. He wanted to be able to fight at 145, 10 over the limit, UWC officials said 1 pound.

McCray just beat Okorie by RNC with 10 seconds or so left in round 1. This was going to be a 10-8 McCray round in my book. Official stoppage time was 4:51 of round 1. This was McCray's 2nd pro fight, Okorie's debut. Both are local guys.

Levon Maynard vs. Kyle Baker is coming up next.
lohmann
2/21/09 8:26:04PM
Good round from Baker.

Did Maynard come in without a gameplan?
DCRage
2/21/09 8:28:05PM
Baker gets the TKO after relentless standup striking. He put on quite a clinic of muay thai knees and dirty boxing in the clinch. Also of note is Mario Yamasaki was the referee.

Time for the girlfight! Sounds like it'll be at 120.
lohmann
2/21/09 8:37:09PM
Did she say that she watched MMA and decided she wanted to fight?
DCRage
2/21/09 8:40:14PM
Sounded like it, nothing wrong with that. Interesting story they were just telling about Achhal between her fleeing to the US from Morocco and spending a winter living out of a tent in northern VA-the winters areound here can be brutal sometimes. The temps aren't terrible, it's the wind that kills you on breezy days.

WOW. Herrig has an 8 INCH height advantage.

And they're going 5 minute rounds. That's what I like to see.
lohmann
2/21/09 8:43:10PM

Posted by DCRage

Sounded like it, nothing wrong with that. Interesting story they were just telling about Achhal between her fleeing to the US from Morocco and spending a winter living out of a tent in northern VA-the winters areound here can be brutal sometimes. The temps aren't terrible, it's the wind that kills you on breezy days.

I was just asking for confirmation because my Firefox crapped out and I missed the pre-fight stuff. Sounds like something worth seeing though. Two rookies; a Muay Thai vs. BJJ fight. Can't ask for anything better, and it should be quick.
lohmann
2/21/09 8:52:59PM
Achhal is just being completely ineffective. There has been absolutely no engagement in this fight.

I doubt her jiu-jitsu credentials very much.
DCRage
2/21/09 9:02:15PM
Both were making their MMA debuts so I can understand the hesitancy, but on my card Achhal's final round gives her a close 29-28.

28-29, 28-29, 29-28...Achhal wins by SD.
lohmann
2/21/09 9:05:44PM
What a steal. Achhal demonstrated no dominance and when she finally got the fight to where she wanted it to be, she did absolutely nothing.

Damage is a giant criteria that shouldn't be ignored.

I wanna see the rest of this, but unfortunately I have to run.
DCRage
2/21/09 9:08:49PM
Sherdog might put up videos later, and at some point you might be able to find them on uwcmma.com, the promotion's official website.

Donovan TKOs Doyle in quite a lopsided fight. Apparently Mario Yamasaki has a brother, as the ref was Fernando Yamasaki...basically Mario sans goatee.
DCRage
2/21/09 9:33:19PM
Stallings just beat Goodman with a KO by knees that would make Bas Rutten proud...TO THE LIIIIIIIIIVER!

9:45 Edit: Intermission. Next fight in 15-20 minutes, should be Richie Hightower vs. Marcus Foran.