UWC: Confrontation Results, Discussion, Spoilers...

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » Spoilers Forum » UWC: Confrontation Results, Discussion, Spoilers...
DCRage
10/11/08 1:59:53PM
And a post-event live report from none other than yours truly, who will not be posting spoilers as usual because I will be at the event! Tonight's event is scheduled to start at 6 PM ET, Sherdog will have live streaming and I'll put up a report when I get home tonight from the event, which probably will be sometime between 10:30-midnight. And if anyone else will be there or watching the stream, look for me in Floor Section 120, I'll be wearing a Nats alternate jersey and maybe a matching hoody. I'll be taking my camera with me and will try to get some pictures too.
Tonight's card:
Antwain Britt vs. Rick Roufus
Mike Easton vs. John Dodson
Carmelo Marrero vs. Ryan Lopez
James “Binky” Jones vs. Kyle Baker
Marcus Foran vs. Steve Sawyer
Johnny Curtis vs. Brendan Schaub
Tony Vartanian vs. Ron Stalling
Levon Maynard vs. Toby Johnson
Cody Donovan vs. Wade Drake
Shurron Thompson vs. Kris McCray
Beau Baker vs. TBA
Enjoy the fights! You know I'll do my best to enjoy everything in person...except perhaps traffic heading home, haha.
babalu2720
10/11/08 7:07:03PM
Britt isn't fighting Roufus is he? They just said someone else on the live stream. And thye didn't announce the Carmello Marrero fight on the preview.
Naturaldisaster
10/11/08 8:38:53PM
anyone know if TVU will be streaming this?
DCRage
10/11/08 11:22:12PM
You couldn't watch it on Sherdog?

Anyway, I'm back and although I've forgotten some of the results already...WOW. UWC definitely made me a fan. There were 9 fights (Marrero & Baker didn't fight for some unknown reason), 6 ended in round 1 (some great knockouts, especially in the 3rd fight-it reminded me of TUF 8 a couple weeks ago, the first thing out of my mouth after it was "K...T...F...O!), 1 in round 2, 2 decisions, one was a rather lopsided unanimous (Binky Jones vs. Kyle Baker, Baker won 30-27, 30-25, 30-25; It was closer than that, I had it 30-27 Baker) with the other being the Bantamweight fight-Mike Easton beat John Dodson by a disagreeable split decision, all 29-28s. I had it 30-28 Easton. 8 fights I'd call excellent or outstanding, while the Bantamweight fight started awesome then turned downright awful after round 1-Dodson got taken over by the spirit of Kalib Starnes. The crowd very quickly turned on these guys and booed them out of town. Other than that a fairly hot crowd. Crowd-wise, I'd estimate around 1500 in a roughly 7000-seat configuration. The Caps home opener had to hurt attendance. My Floor seat was...not. Nosebleeds, 3rd row from the top. But I had a pretty good view and the entire section (heck, the whole end of the arena's upper level where I was at!) to myself. Doors opened just after 5 but the first fight didn't start until at least 6:30, or was it closer to 7? I think it was 7 because I was getting impatient then the first 3 fights took a combined total of less than 5 minutes. Two fights ended in tapout, the more impressive being one guy who won by guillotine-when he had it locked in the other guy lifted him up, and got all the way to standing position just before tapping and dropping once the hold was released. I was like "So why doesn't he try a slam to break the hold?" As far as stars, nice pop when Mario Yamazaki was announced as a referee (he worked 3 matches). Carlos Condit & Urijah Faber were introduced and interviewed during intermission and, thanks in part to the UWC Ring Girls, wound up doing a very entertaining segment while putting themselves and WEC over, Faber again said that he'll probably do some Lightweight fights and maybe even Bantamweight before he's done, Condit probably won't consider Middleweight. Overall, 2 thumbs solidly up, only the Bantamweight debacle kept it from being way up but I left extremely satisfied. Next time UWC does another event around here I will make every effort to be in attendance to enjoy some great fights and to continue to support MMA in the DC area. And I expect to see some more MDers and VAers from the Playground there too! (That means especially you zephead) Crowd-wise, you could tell that a lot of UFC & MMA fans were in attendance based on MMA t-shirts and conversations. I got myself a UWC t-shirt for $20. Oh, and no pics. Decided to leave my camera in the car in case it wasn't allowed.

Oh yeah, food-$12 for chicken tenders, curly fries, and a soda...actually, a warm 20 ounce Coke bottle and free cup of ice. Soda machine at the stand I went to (more beer-only stands than anything) broke just before the event started. Food was good though. Also had $5 hot dogs, $3.50-4.00 ice cream, and $8 beers (limit 2 per person). Only merchandise besides 5 different UWC t-shirts was a couple of UWC caps, also $20.
Naturaldisaster
10/12/08 12:17:37AM
i didnt see the part on your original post about Sherdog streamin it. so I missed it
DCRage
10/12/08 8:03:33AM

Here are the full results:
They claimed 5528 paid, but there was nowhere near that. Maybe 1500 by my count.
Kris McCray beat Joey Kirwan by submission (rear naked choke) at 1:35 of round 1.
Cody Donovan beat Wade Drake by KO in 15 seconds.
Levon Maynard beat Toby Johnson by TKO (strikes) at 3:40 of round 1.
Ron Stallings beat Tony Sousa by TKO (strikes) at 1:02 of round 2.
Brendan Schaub beat Tony Curtis by TKO (strikes) at 1:07 of round 1.
Marcus Foran beat Chris Reedy by submission (guillotine) in 58 seconds.
Kyle Baker beat Binky Jones by unanimous decision, 1 30-27 and 2 30-25s.
Mike Easton beat John Dodson by majority decision, 2 29-28s and 1 29-29. The 29-29 wasn't announced to the crowd or they changed it, the first 2 scores were 29-28 Easton and 29-28 Dodson.
Main Event: Antwain Britt beat Terry Cohen by TKO (strikes) in 31 seconds.
Carmelo Marrero vs. Kely Bradley didn't happen for unknown reasons. Nothing mentioned.
MMAcca
10/12/08 10:53:32AM
You counted the crowd ?

DCRage
10/12/08 11:39:55AM
Of course, didn't hurt that Washington crowds are notoriously late-arriving. And if 5500 actually showed up the arena would've been about 80% full and I would not have had roughly 5 whole sections to myself. If Sherdog's feed (also shown on 2 big video screens on either end of the arena) had shown the whole arena you'd have seen thousands of empty seats. A lot of people started leaving before the main event, and concession lines were long. I missed about 2 minutes of one fight (the 3rd or 4th one) getting food even though the lines were short.
Naturaldisaster
10/12/08 12:28:49PM
How was the dodson fight? that dudes crazy from what I saw of him on Tapout.
DCRage
10/12/08 3:34:44PM
Watch round 1 then skip the rest. It started off like your typical Bantamweight fight, fast-paced and a good amount of action, then Dodson turned into Kalib Starnes and played keep-away the rest of the fight and he was booed out of town. I had round 1 10-10 (too close to call) then I gave the last 2 rounds to Easton because Dodson did less than nothing, so on my card it was 30-28 Easton. He wasn't hurt or anything, but said post-fight it was part of his "gameplan".
Naturaldisaster
10/12/08 3:56:08PM

Posted by DCRage

Watch round 1 then skip the rest. It started off like your typical Bantamweight fight, fast-paced and a good amount of action, then Dodson turned into Kalib Starnes and played keep-away the rest of the fight and he was booed out of town. I had round 1 10-10 (too close to call) then I gave the last 2 rounds to Easton because Dodson did less than nothing, so on my card it was 30-28 Easton. He wasn't hurt or anything, but said post-fight it was part of his "gameplan".

that suprises me. I never figured dodson would be boring