User opinions wanted: help decide the future of the wagering system

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA Playground Game Talk » User opinions wanted: help decide the future of the wagering system
« Previous Page
POLL: What would you like to see done with the site's wagering system?
Leave things as they are and just spend some time policing wagers after each event 30% (89)
Change/replace the current system with an odds-based house only wagering system 25% (72)
Leave the current system in place but force all wagers to loosely adhere to a money line 6% (18)
Add an odds-powered house wagering system, but leave the current system in place as it is 23% (68)
Add an odds-powered house system and leave current system in place with odds guidelines 12% (36)
Something else entirely 3% (9)
DoTheMMAth
2/6/07 7:30:08PM
Ok, no final decision on this one yet (we're going to let it ride for a bit, build up all the votes, continue to exchange ideas, etc) but for now, as something to get us by and little safer, we finished adding some functionality to the wagering system today.

Forum post explaining it is here
SICKRICK
2/7/07 3:01:12PM
i think leave it where it is , no harm no foul... site is running great ...
nellyhiphophead
2/7/07 4:04:05PM
thats what i think too with this new wagering i can see keeping that. but no house wagering.
tepid55
2/8/07 7:09:04PM
Keep it how it is.
major_dmg
2/8/07 7:38:47PM
[[[[1.Leave things as they are and just spend some time policing wagers after each event 30%
2.Change/replace the current system with an odds-based house only wagering system 25%
3.Leave the current system in place but force all wagers to loosely adhere to a money line 5%
4.Add an odds-powered house wagering system, but leave the current system in place as it is 24%
5.Add an odds-powered house system and leave current system in place with odds guidelines 12%
6.Something else entirely 3%]]]]

hopefully you guys dont just decided based on these percentages....
the 1st choice is now in the lead with 30 percent but thing is options 2, 4 and 5 are basically the same thing.... so my point being that 61% of people are actually IN-FAVOUR of a odds-based system. in other words most ppl want an odds based system
tunefish
2/8/07 7:47:55PM
I'd go for number 4.
I would love the possibility of betting both against the house and other players.
MartyMorgy
2/8/07 8:57:40PM
Withdraw of bet.

I think you should be able to withdraw a bet if both sides approve it. If one wants it to stay then it stays. This should only be applied to player vs player bets not house if that is coming in. In real life if you were betting your friend and you both didn't want to do it anymore you wouldn't just say it is too late.
TequilaMan2000
2/9/07 7:35:10PM
I don't like the new system... if someone wants to bet me a straight 1:1 on Danzig-Sakurai, for example, we should be able to do it.

I don't like the hand-holding, and I can do just fine by myself...

I wish you guys would take away the restrictions on how much you can bet. This is new system bites IMHO.
Lines
2/10/07 1:49:27PM
Odds powered house wagering system, where all bets are against the house, would remove the need for policing wagers.

I find it too much work to try and set up wagers with other players. Odds powered house, where all wagers go against the house, would make it alot more enjoyable and alot easier to place wagers.
nellyhiphophead
2/10/07 4:40:33PM

Posted by TOPigeons

Odds powered house wagering system, where all bets are against the house, would remove the need for policing wagers.

I find it too much work to try and set up wagers with other players. Odds powered house, where all wagers go against the house, would make it alot more enjoyable and alot easier to place wagers.

'
you jsut got to spend more time on the websight and look harder.
turbozed
2/14/07 3:53:15PM

Posted by nellyhiphophead

Posted by TOPigeons

'
you jsut got to spend more time on the websight and look harder.

There are two fatal drawbacks to the current wagering system.

1) Betting against other players means that anyone can set up fake accounts and bet against themselves. Basically, cheating will illegitimize the whole system.

2) Being able to offer unfair and unreasonable odds just promotes smarter players taking advantage of noob players. It's a race to offer bad odds to people and hope you're lucky enough they accept.

Both of these aspects ultimately lead to the wagering system and virtual "money" being a joke. There's no correspondence to actual mma knowledge. Just your ability to work the system by either cheating or exploitation.

Right now, the poll basically says that more than 70% of the wagering system to change.
ordean
2/14/07 10:55:43PM
Number 5. One on one bets are nice and an adds based house bet would be cool too.
nellyhiphophead
2/15/07 12:55:13PM

Posted by turbozed

There are two fatal drawbacks to the current wagering system.

1) Betting against other players means that anyone can set up fake accounts and bet against themselves. Basically, cheating will illegitimize the whole system.

2) Being able to offer unfair and unreasonable odds just promotes smarter players taking advantage of noob players. It's a race to offer bad odds to people and hope you're lucky enough they accept.

Both of these aspects ultimately lead to the wagering system and virtual "money" being a joke. There's no correspondence to actual mma knowledge. Just your ability to work the system by either cheating or exploitation.

Right now, the poll basically says that more than 70% of the wagering system to change.

the money don't mean as much as all you think. it is a joke it is jsut for fun. so lets try to make it fun to play with.
turbozed
2/15/07 5:16:45PM

the money don't mean as much as all you think. it is a joke it is jsut for fun. so lets try to make it fun to play with.

That's kinda the point though isn't it? I thought the mods wanted a competitive, meaningful system in place. If they wanted it to be a joke, I'm fine with that. I personally think it'd be more fun if it were more indicative of mma knowledge.

nellyhiphophead
2/15/07 5:19:51PM

Posted by turbozed

That's kinda the point though isn't it? I thought the mods wanted a competitive, meaningful system in place. If they wanted it to be a joke, I'm fine with that. I personally think it'd be more fun if it were more indicative of mma knowledge.

the points are competitive the money isjsut do go have fun with. they don't wnat ppl to be scared to wager the money so there int much to it. if the money ment more ppl would think more befor they made wagers.
turbozed
2/17/07 1:51:10AM

the points are competitive the money isjsut do go have fun with. they don't wnat ppl to be scared to wager the money so there int much to it. if the money ment more ppl would think more befor they made wagers.

Wouldn't that be better?
FutureLWchamp
2/19/07 11:35:16AM
Add an odds-powered house wagering system, but leave the current system in place as it is - i think this choice should make everyone happy cuz u could bet whichever style u want
Cajetan
2/24/07 12:22:25PM
why not add a vegas style system as well, it gets hard to find wagers sometimes, if you just want to bet others that is available to you as well
Kazmierz21
2/24/07 5:21:43PM
I think there should be a house to bet against just so those of us who do not have enough free time to try and make wagers with people will always have a house to bet against at the last minute
WarCreed
3/1/07 3:42:03PM
Math I got to say that wagering against the house is the only credible way to keep it even. There is only one real answer to the poll.
MartyMorgy
3/4/07 1:36:55AM
I definitely think a house wagering system should be put in place and be the ONLY system. What happens when somebody gets a ton of money and can't find enough people to lay bets down. Finding and actually making the bets would take forever.

Make it house only that way you don't have to worry about fraud or taking hours and hours of your time or even finding enough people.
Collinreuter
3/4/07 4:24:04AM

Posted by Pyrenus

Why not require a unique IP and/or email with validation for each user account to cut down on people creating multiple accounts to place wagers against themselves?

What about people who have more than one people in one house with an account? My brother has an account also and we share the same IP
CWall33
3/9/07 9:33:37AM

Posted by Collinreuter

Posted by Pyrenus

Why not require a unique IP and/or email with validation for each user account to cut down on people creating multiple accounts to place wagers against themselves?

What about people who have more than one people in one house with an account? My brother has an account also and we share the same IP

I know this point has been has been brought up several hundred times, but I just wanted to add my .02 to the discussion. Please DO NOT only allow one account per household

My wife has never been an MMA fan. In fact, she downright hated it. That is, until I got her involved in this site. Now she is just as excited as I am for both Pride and UFC events. (She's also kicking my butt in the point standings, btw). If they only allow one account per household, we would probably both drop out. It just wouldn't be the same without the in-house competition.

Also, we would spend way less on PPV events (i.e. not get the ALL, as we are doing now), therefore taking money out of the fighters pockets. I'm sure mmaplayground wouldn't want to be responsible for that, whould they? (guilt guilt).
Bigsexydaddy
4/9/07 7:56:04PM
Finding, making and getting people to accept my bets is a giant pain in the ass because of the other people involved.

There needs to be SOME sort of house wagering. Allow us to bet with each other AND the house, or just the house.

Either way, we need a house to bet against w/ proper odds.
Tamara
4/13/07 3:01:33AM
http://www.mmaplayground.com/forums/topic3937-1.html

VOTE NO!
veengrd
4/16/07 8:02:21PM
Yeah, I'm for #2

Odds betting is good, if someone picked Serra over St Pierre they deserve a massive payout. Even if it was just crazy luck with that pick
berzeck
4/16/07 9:12:21PM
i think that in order to place bets between players, these players must be "certified" first ( a la neteller.com), this means that players should pass an ID validating process ... for those players who doesn't want to go through that process, a house odds system should be the only option for betting.

maybe there should be an incentive to "certified" players, ex: 1st prize for certified players = 600 $us

PD: sorry my bad english
Pages: 1 2 [3]