useless MA

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » useless MA
Next Page »
danny81
7/4/07 2:31:02AM
i practice in boxing and wrestling and am about to start learning Kickboxing(not muy thai just kickboxing) because these are the only ones available to me. do you guys think any of these are useless? also some savate champion or something lives near me and offered to train me. is savate useless?
Mastodon2
7/4/07 9:22:23AM
Savate is not useless, but its certainly not Muay Thai.

Im not bigging up Muay Thai because I do it myself, but Thai boxing really is, imo, the most efficient and effective martial art for disabling an opponent. There is nothing for show there, everything is about cutting your opponent down as quickly as you can.

However, I'd still reccomend you train with all the all the people you can, do kickboxing, and do some Savate too; even if you don't intend to become a hardcore Savate practicioner, you can most likely still pick up a few helpful tips from the guy.
Omega
7/4/07 11:37:38AM
Useless?

It would be better served if you let us know what your goals are. It's only useless if it does nothing for your goals.
danny81
7/4/07 11:05:57PM
wel my goals are to become a UFC world chapion lol. I know it will be almost impossible but that is my goal
Omega
7/4/07 11:28:56PM
What about Wrestling, submissions, boxing?

Savate and kickboxing are fine. Are we talking about PKA or International kickboxing?
danny81
7/5/07 1:18:41AM
sorry i didnt get your post whatsoever lol. i am on my school wrestling team i box and i am about to start kickbxoing
danny81
7/5/07 1:21:30AM
also excuse my ignorance. what can i get out of boxing besides takedowns/slams?
Mastodon2
7/5/07 7:46:25AM
I dont think Boxing will teach you takedowns...
NME
7/5/07 9:17:06AM

Posted by danny81

wel my goals are to become a UFC world chapion lol. I know it will be almost impossible but that is my goal

Are you....are you Danny Abbadi?
richieb19
7/5/07 10:17:05AM

Posted by danny81

Have you ever seen a boxing match before? There is no takedowns/slams in boxing...
Signal2112
7/5/07 10:22:28AM

Posted by NME

Posted by danny81

Are you....are you Danny Abbadi?

I love it!
Omega
7/5/07 1:20:57PM

Posted by danny81

Did you mean to say wrestling instead of boxing?

What type of kickboxing are they teaching you? It's not a hard question. If you do not know...ask.
danny81
7/5/07 3:31:04PM
sorry i was tired when i posted. i meant to say wrestling. i do Folk style wrestling. and i am going to go to some G-R and freestyle camps over the summer. what can i get out off it besides takedowns and slams?

now back to the kickboxing. well the owner of the gym is a really cool guy and he has done a mix of different kickboxing typese. the gym is an American Kickboxing gym. no knees no elbows and no low kicks, but he is going to teach me some elbows knees and low kicks because i told him about how i want to do MMA.
danny81
7/7/07 12:44:45AM
any thing else i could get out of besides slams/takedowns and slam/takedown defense? from wrestling?
Omega
7/7/07 12:57:58PM

Posted by danny81

any thing else i could get out of besides slams/takedowns and slam/takedown defense? from wrestling?

Position and body control. The problem with most wrestlers is that they pick up bad habits which usually leave them open for submissions. That takes months to drill out of them.
danny81
7/7/07 1:43:12PM
oo alright. thanks. im thinking that with a wrestling background you are more of a GnP type guy. how would i learn the different mounts? is there a certain MA that teaches mounts?
GWD
7/7/07 6:07:19PM
You may want to dabble into Greco-Roman wrestling while you have the chance to at school. It is great for developing the clinch and using upper-body control.
Consider Judo, trust me, it's worth it. Regardless of what it takes, especially if you make a transition to Greco-Roman. Greco + Judo pwns in the clinch takedowns.

As far as your kickboxing instructor teaching you things he isn't used to teaching, you may develop some really bad habits as a result of it. bad training is 10x worse than no training, IMO.

And try as hard as you can to get comfortable on your back, which is the bad habit I think someone else was talking about. While you don't want to be too comfortable, nor do you really want to be on your back, you shouldn't be scrambling with fright at the thought of it. It is a common flaw in wrestlers.

But ultimately you are going to have to learn submissions, and if there isn't anyplace you can find, maybe you aren't looking hard enough. Where are you at?

danny81
7/7/07 11:13:09PM
im in New Jersey. i am doing a little dabbling in greco-roman and freestyle. and i do folk at my school. Im going to have the kickboxing instructor only teach me the kicks.
nWo
7/7/07 11:48:46PM

Posted by danny81

i practice in boxing and wrestling and am about to start learning Kickboxing(not muy thai just kickboxing) because these are the only ones available to me. do you guys think any of these are useless? also some savate champion or something lives near me and offered to train me. is savate useless?

I would say JKD or TKD.
danny81
7/8/07 12:34:39AM
was that a joke bro? i dont know much about JKD but TKD sux in every aspect except high kicks and im not going to waste my time learning purely high kicks right now. mayby once i get the basics down i will learn TKD
Pandaiga
7/8/07 7:13:21PM
TKD is certainly not worthless. As a whole it is but certain aspects of TKD are extremely important, such as the head kicks and even more so, the flexibility you gain. If you had the choice though, then yes kick boxing or muay thai is a much better avenue for your purpose of becoming the best ever.
danny81
7/8/07 8:59:10PM
thats what i said.
nWo
7/22/07 8:27:13PM
serious?
SSfighter51
7/22/07 9:51:04PM

Posted by Mastodon2

Savate is not useless, but its certainly not Muay Thai.

Im not bigging up Muay Thai because I do it myself, but Thai boxing really is, imo, the most efficient and effective martial art for disabling an opponent. There is nothing for show there, everything is about cutting your opponent down as quickly as you can.

However, I'd still reccomend you train with all the all the people you can, do kickboxing, and do some Savate too; even if you don't intend to become a hardcore Savate practicioner, you can most likely still pick up a few helpful tips from the guy.

pssh. im a wrestler and grappler. whats your tai for me when it goes to the ground? catch your kicks and turn them into takedowns?

danny81...you dont seem to know much, no offense. how long have you been wrestling for? your talkin about just take downs and slams coming out of wrestling?? you should know theres alot more stuff to incorperate out of wrestling into mma.

you need to go into bjj. if you actually do have any decent wrestling skills, youll take to it far faster than any of the other MA's.

btw....i hate to burst your buble, but im going to be the next world champ...lol jk sike!
danny81
7/22/07 10:52:23PM
Lol yah i have been wrestling at some clinics but am planning on joining a wrestling school soon.
what else do you get besides takedowns and slams? i guess being able to break a guy down and getting him on his back to mount him? can you mount someone on there back?
LHK
7/23/07 3:24:50AM
How old are you?

And like Mastadon said, you should train all you can in as many different style. EVERY style has something positive about it, if only to learn how to "anti" it. Kind of like CC does with JJ. And just because you train a style, doesn't mean you have to use everything you learn, it may provide you with good ideas and gameplans though, so you don't want to limit yourself with only one style.

If your goal is to become UFC champion, your gonna need wicked cardio and strength, definitely as important as the actually techniques.

I posted a good bodyweight program which no one responded to (I wonder why, too hard for them?) here

I would concentrate on conditioning above all the styles you are studying, it will also help you learn faster if you are not constantly weezing.
danny81
7/23/07 3:45:07AM

ihave been doing weights and jumprope and burpees. what do you recomend for roadwork and other cardio?
fullerene
7/23/07 8:32:39AM
If you really do become UFC champion some day this thread could be worth a lot of money...pretty funny stuff.
LHK
7/23/07 8:42:00AM

Posted by danny81

ihave been doing weights and jumprope and burpees. what do you recomend for roadwork and other cardio?

Check out the thread I linked to, I list a lot of exercises there.

Aside from jump rope, swimming is also great for cardio. Uses a lot of muscles at the same time which almost nothing else does.
danny81
7/23/07 3:34:43PM
thanks. what about running? should i do sprints or jog and sprints?
Pages: [1] 2