USA! USA! USA!

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » USA! USA! USA!
warglory
6/24/09 7:53:43PM
If there's one sport that America has never had a big influence on, it's soccer; bar none (at least with the men). The MLS is a laughing stock to the world, our ultra fans and their clubs are made fun of incessantly, seeing our professional teams playing on american football fields, etc, etc, etc. All of the crap we American soccer fans receive has been politely absorbed, because we never had a leg to stand on in the international community. However, our victory over Spain today, the #1 soccer team in the world who were riding a 35 game win streak, 2-0, is a HUGE boost to the morale of all us fans here in the States.

I know, I know, Americans have no place feeling ostracized being the most influential country in the world when it comes to sports overall right? Many people probably feel that it's nice to have a sport that the U.S. isn't competitive in, and is a way to kind of stick it to the most powerful nation in the world, but as soccer fans, Americans just want to be a part of the cool kids crowd, and today, we made a big impression.
loller90278
6/24/09 8:03:46PM
it was painfully obvious how much spain was better than us, but who cares -- we won 2-0!!

Im just scared at how their going to perform against brazil next...
mkiv9secsupra
6/24/09 8:10:24PM
As an overall fan watching it for years now i have adopted the America has no chance in hell trend. I dont think this will be enough and i dont think the USA will ever have a dominant international team....just my thoughts....
Mr_Dead_Sexy
6/24/09 9:31:34PM
Spain got Matt Serra'ed.
chuckw94
6/24/09 9:45:54PM
USA! USA! USA! don't watch the sport and never will, but good job guys
jiujitsufreak74
6/24/09 9:56:06PM

Posted by Mr_Dead_Sexy

Spain got Matt Serra'ed.

pretty much sums it up perfectly
mkiv9secsupra
6/24/09 10:11:48PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by Mr_Dead_Sexy

Spain got Matt Serra'ed.

pretty much sums it up perfectly

OMFG...does that mean Spain is going to beat us 17-0 next year?!?!
Jackelope
6/24/09 10:55:53PM
The sun shines on every dog's ass once in a while.

Colin Cowherd from ESPN radio broke it down last week pretty well. He went over the size, speed, and athleticism of all of our pro soccer athletes vs. those from Germany, Netherlands, etc. It was amazing to hear how much smaller, slower, and less athletic our guys are. Before you talk about size not mattering in soccer, he broke that down pretty well, too.

The fact is that the U.S. sends our best athletes into other sports. American soccer has no 6'3 250 lb. super athlete guy that can run a 4.6 40yd dash and play for an hour straight. Football does. Football has several of them, actually.

American soccer has no Lebron James, either. A 6'8" 260 lb. MONSTER of an athlete who can literally do it all faster and stronger than nearly anyone else on the planet.

EDIT: This isn't to bash on soccer, it's just to call it like it is where American soccer is concerned. Until we start sending our best athletes onto the soccer field, we will never be a top contender on the world stage.
Twenty20Dollars
6/24/09 11:45:45PM
You can make pretty decent money playing pro soccer.

I mean Cristiano Ronaldo just made bank on like over 100 million dollar deal.

This USA win is a big in a way that Spain had to been so dominant, but its also small because it was the world cup. But lets just enjoy the win.
Mr_Dead_Sexy
6/25/09 3:17:37AM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

But at the same time, he's banging Paris Hilton now, which would be more than enough to make me stay far, far away from soccer.
babalu46
6/25/09 1:10:38PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

You can make pretty decent money playing pro soccer.

This USA win is a big in a way that Spain had to been so dominant, but its also small because it was the world cup. But lets just enjoy the win.

Yeah the money is amazing. he makes money off that deal bt he will also be on £200k A WEEK AFTER tax at Real Madrid.
DCRage
6/25/09 1:13:33PM
Good for US, but honestly the only time I really care about soccer is the World Cup or if it's a match being called by one of the great Spanish-lanaguage announcers. OK, I just like hearing them say the names over and over again, especially when Kaka is playing.
KUTTER
6/25/09 1:33:00PM
I think its hilarious how we want to be respected and progress in the sport. Yet still probably only ones in stands refering to it as a "soccer" game
BarryScott
7/13/09 11:44:53AM

Posted by warglory

The MLS is a laughing stock to the world, our ultra fans and their clubs are made fun of incessantly

No it isn't noone even talks about the MLS, I honestly can't remember the last time i heard someone mention it on TV or in general chat.

Why is it that when you lose nothing gets said, yet when you win threads get made about it, if you're a true fan you'll talk about them regardless, not just jump on the bandwagon when they get a win.

Sorry if that sounds racist in any way, it wasn't meant to.
warglory
7/14/09 10:51:33AM

Posted by BarryScott

Posted by warglory

The MLS is a laughing stock to the world, our ultra fans and their clubs are made fun of incessantly

No it isn't noone even talks about the MLS, I honestly can't remember the last time i heard someone mention it on TV or in general chat.

Why is it that when you lose nothing gets said, yet when you win threads get made about it, if you're a true fan you'll talk about them regardless, not just jump on the bandwagon when they get a win.

Dude, racism has nothing to do with your country of origin. I only mention that because I saw you say it in another thread. Not a big deal, just wanted to clarify that. Anyway, I live with a Honduran, a Moroccan and until recently a Lebanese, all of them die hard soccer fans. Trust me, the MLS is a joke to them.
BarryScott
7/14/09 11:29:22AM

Posted by warglory

Posted by BarryScott

Posted by warglory

Dude, racism has nothing to do with your country of origin. I only mention that because I saw you say it in another thread. Not a big deal, just wanted to clarify that. Anyway, I live with a Honduran, a Moroccan and until recently a Lebanese, all of them die hard soccer fans. Trust me, the MLS is a joke to them.

Fair enough then!