USA TODAY Sports Media Group acquires MMAjunkie.com

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » USA TODAY Sports Media Group acquires MMAjunkie.com
grappler0000
11/11/11 9:18:57PM
USA TODAY Sports Media Group announced today the acquisition of leading mixed-martial-arts site, MMAjunkie.com and its related editorial assets across all platforms, including its daily radio show.

The site's editor-in-chief, Dann Stupp, and its entire editorial staff, including award-winning lead staff reporter John Morgan, will remain in place and will report to Dave Morgan, the USA TODAY Sports Media Group's senior vice president of content and editor-in-chief.

"This is an exciting acquisition for us, and one that greatly enhances the editorial capabilities of the USA TODAY Sports Media Group in covering mixed martial arts across all platforms," said Tom Beusse, president of the USA TODAY Sports Media Group. "Since its inception, MMAjunkie.com has established itself by breaking stories on a regular basis and providing fans with the most relevant and complete coverage available for this evolving and fast-growing sport, and we will continue to strengthen and expand that coverage for our fans."

With more than one million unique visitors per month, MMAjunkie.com is one of the leading online news destinations for the sport, as well as a content partner for several print, online and TV outlets. It also produces the daily podcast/radio show "MMAjunkie.com Radio," with a TV simulcast syndicated through Fight Now TV...

Link
Poor_Franklin
11/11/11 9:52:24PM
mma getting taken seriously
FastKnockout
11/11/11 9:58:21PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Makes me wonder if it's actually MMA or just the UFC.
Poor_Franklin
11/11/11 10:10:26PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by Poor_Franklin

with one will come the other. .
Twenty20Dollars
11/11/11 10:39:08PM
good for them, they are pretty official and accurate. mmajunkie that is
Bubbles
11/11/11 11:26:53PM
first SB Nation acquires MMAfighting, now USA Today gets MMAjunkie. i wonder who is next to fall?

any chance Yahoo buys out the PG and adds it to its fantasy sports lineup? (i hope not)
FastKnockout
11/12/11 1:01:20AM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Not necessarily. There have been some sports media sites that have MMA listed as "UFC" next to the likes of NFL and MLB.

Then you have the mainstream fans, who train "UFC."
Budgellism
11/12/11 8:54:20AM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

good for them, they are pretty official and accurate. mmajunkie that is

Considering probably about 70% of the news I post is from mmajunkie I like them as well. They're the first mma site I ever found (ufcjunkie.com originally) and I'm glad to see them getting some more attention.
FlashyG
11/12/11 10:39:22AM

Posted by FastKnockout

Not necessarily. There have been some sports media sites that have MMA listed as "UFC" next to the likes of NFL and MLB.

Chances are those sites don't cover anything but the UFC, which is fine because they probably don't cover the minor leagues of other sports either. In that case labeling your coverage UFC would be accurate.

There's no excuse for the fans that train UFC though.
BuffaloDave
11/12/11 1:35:54PM
Great news for Junkie.

I like Junkie for the simple fact they wait until a news story is accurate before posting it. They don't post nonsense like some of the other sites do as soon as rumors starts floating around.
bjj1605
11/12/11 3:10:13PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Notice how they list "NFL" and "MLB" instead of "football" and "baseball."

That's because those are the largest organizations in their sports. Just like the UFC.
ncordless
11/13/11 12:23:11AM

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by Poor_Franklin

I noticed that when I search for mma on bing it searches for UFC and then asks if I really meant mma.

But really, what is the difference anymore? Almost all top-level mixed martial arts occurs in the UFC. It's like getting mad because the news covers the NFL and not football. Sure, there is other professional football going on across the country, but there is only one bigtime organization anymore.