USA TODAY: Frankie Edgar replaces Erik Koch, meets champ Jose Aldo at UFC 153

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » USA TODAY: Frankie Edgar replaces Erik Koch, meets champ Jose Aldo at UFC 153
Next Page »
DrivenDavies15
8/31/12 12:06:34AM
(This story appeared in Friday's edition of USA TODAY.)

Despite a pair of disappointing losses to current UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson, former titleholder Frankie Edgar (14-3-1 MMA, 9-3-1 UFC) will now get his shot at history.

USA TODAY Sports and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) have learned that an undisclosed injury has forced Erik Koch (13-1, 2-0) to withdraw from a planned UFC 153 title fight with current featherweight champion Jose Aldo (21-1, 3-0), and Edgar has agreed to step into the evening's main event.

Edgar now looks to join UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture and Hawaiian superstar B.J. Penn as the only men to hold UFC championships in two different weight classes.

LINK
prozacnation1978
8/31/12 12:11:33AM
No way!!!! He is coming off two losses
Give the shot to Korean zombie
Chael_Sonnen
8/31/12 12:22:53AM
Frankie "Kenflo" Edgar

Aldo via DESTRUCTION!
DrivenDavies15
8/31/12 12:30:22AM
I think this will be a cool fight but TKZ would have been much better imo.

If Edgar losses that's 3 in a row, obvs he wont get cut but damn who would have thought that a year ago.
infestructure
8/31/12 12:31:52AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

I agree. But Frankie/Aldo is where the money is at
Twenty20Dollars
8/31/12 12:36:19AM
That's crap.

A big slap in the face to everyone else who's been fighting at FW.
Poor_Franklin
8/31/12 12:36:45AM
i have no problem with this at all. i like the idea of title shots being earned, but this is arguably 2 of the top 10 p4p fighters we have. i'll make the exception
telnights
8/31/12 12:44:47AM
I think he stands a better chance of beating Henderson than he does beating Aldo.
ChrisSabal
8/31/12 12:51:27AM
darn it I was about to post this. Way to steal my thunder
Budgellism
8/31/12 12:54:47AM
FastKnockout
8/31/12 1:09:02AM
I'm fine with it since he's stepping in as a replacement.

WAR FRANKIE!
FastKnockout
8/31/12 1:16:54AM

KZ is recovering from surgery.
Franklinfan47
8/31/12 1:18:04AM
YES!!!!!!!

infestructure
8/31/12 1:32:11AM

Posted by Franklinfan47

YES!!!!!!!

YES!!!!!!!

Twenty20Dollars
8/31/12 1:39:17AM
Then when Edgar loses, Dana will say Edgar should drop to 135.
RhythmAndStyle
8/31/12 1:44:35AM
i knew it!!..there was no reason for Edgar to drop down to FW, tons of fights left at LW, imo..but i had a hugh feeling Dana was gonna grant Edgar a instant title shot or a one fight then title shot..Edgar is a huge ppv draw, and with Aldo, that shit gon be cray..but i got Aldo being the first man to finally stop Edgar...
prophecy033
8/31/12 1:52:15AM
This is a great development. I like the matchup and.its one some of us have talked about favorably in the past. I'm genuinely excited for this fight
meier
8/31/12 2:05:21AM
I would have went with charles bennett
Sir_Karl
8/31/12 2:42:07AM
I have no issues with this fight. Sure Edgar is coming off two losses but in reality they shouldn't have been losses and he was fighting one of the best LWs out there.. The decision in the first Henderson/Edgar fight was iffy and in the second one Edgar was totally ripped off AND he is a replacement. This fight makes perfect sense. I think Edgar has a great shot at winning this too. Edgar is intelligent and disciplined enough to do the right things to beat Aldo. This will be undoubtedly be the toughest test in Aldo's career.
Cooler
8/31/12 2:59:59AM
How the hell is Edgar a better PPV draw than the Korean Zombie and that Aldo vs Edgar is the money fight, that's bullshit, even though he's of Korean decent (which shouldn't matter in the 21st century) KZ has a way bigger hardcore base and way more exciting. Most people on forums including me complain about Edgar being a point fighter and that's why he couldn't keep the title or regain it. He hasn't earned squat at FW by losing two semi-close fights at LW this is ludicrous.
TeamDEY
8/31/12 3:01:08AM
ha... go figure
aussiemma
8/31/12 4:13:31AM
i like !!!

very interesting if it lasts past the 3rd round.
Bubbles
8/31/12 5:15:32AM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

That's crap.

A big slap in the face to everyone else who's been fighting at FW.

so has the judging for LW title fights
Bubbles
8/31/12 5:17:59AM

Posted by Cooler

How the hell is Edgar a better PPV draw than the Korean Zombie and that Aldo vs Edgar is the money fight, that's bullshit, even though he's of Korean decent (which shouldn't matter in the 21st century) KZ has a way bigger hardcore base and way more exciting. Most people on forums including me complain about Edgar being a point fighter and that's why he couldn't keep the title or regain it. He hasn't earned squat at FW by losing two semi-close fights at LW this is ludicrous.

you just answered your question: "hardcore fans" is not everyone. the vast majority are casual fans know Edgar as former champ and maybe KZ as some first fight PPV fighter. Who knows maybe KZ turned it down
shaneTpain
8/31/12 5:50:48AM
WOWWWWWWWW!!

Iama watch it
JLS1980
8/31/12 6:53:36AM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

i have no problem with this at all. i like the idea of title shots being earned, but this is arguably 2 of the top 10 p4p fighters we have. i'll make the exception

Everything you said plus Edgar's next fight very well could have been a Lightweight title defense.

I'm sure Aldo will be the favorite here but I wouldn't count Frankie totally out. If Frankie can keep this fight into the later rounds that's where I think he'll do his best. Chad Mendes wasn't having too much luck with his takedowns against Aldo. Aldo's TDD is sick. If Frankie wins I think it'll be because he's the better conditioned fighter and wins the later rounds.
State_Champ
8/31/12 7:09:28AM
Oh, no.

I like both of these fighters very much.
Who will I cheer for?

I'll cheer for Jose Aldo to get a brutal finish.
If that stops seeming like a possibility, and Frankie is losing, I'll cheer for Frankie.
sparky
8/31/12 8:09:14AM

Two losses where he should of got the win. I agree zombie has done more at featherweight but Frankie is a better fighter and a bigger ppv draw especially after getting boned by the judges again

This is going to be an epic fight for as long as it lasts
bigrand826
8/31/12 8:17:21AM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Then when Edgar loses, Dana will say Edgar should drop to 135.

Eh, I think he'd talk about what a beast Aldo is.

I'd rather have seen him fight Lamas and give the shot to Jung, but as someone mentioned earlier, Jung is recovering from shoulder surgery.
bigrand826
8/31/12 8:27:56AM

Posted by JLS1980

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Everything you said plus Edgar's next fight very well could have been a Lightweight title defense.

I'm sure Aldo will be the favorite here but I wouldn't count Frankie totally out. If Frankie can keep this fight into the later rounds that's where I think he'll do his best. Chad Mendes wasn't having too much luck with his takedowns against Aldo. Aldo's TDD is sick. If Frankie wins I think it'll be because he's the better conditioned fighter and wins the later rounds.

Yes, and we saw in his fight against Hominick, that Aldo faded when he faced a guy that could take some punishment and had some good technical striking of his own. Now, to be fair, I don't think Aldo was in top shape, but I also think Edgar has more to offer Aldo than Hominick did. Also, I think Edgar's MMA wrestling might be a bit better than Chad's. Edgar is the only LW that has been able to take BJ (and possibly Maynard as well) down. I am a little concerned with how he'll handle Aldo's leg kicks and how often he might get hit by Aldo. Maynard doesn't have the greatest hand speed and he was able to land early on Edgar.
Pages: [1] 2 3