USA TODAY: Anderson Silva vs. Stephan Bonnar headlines UFC 153

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » USA TODAY: Anderson Silva vs. Stephan Bonnar headlines UFC 153
« Previous Page | Next Page »
jlock003
9/12/12 10:34:27PM

Posted by BuffaloDave

So seen multiple people tweet that Bonnar opened up at +5500

So, PG odds +12.5k???

Av bet anyone??? I got Silva!!

I was going to ask if anyone had seen a line. I've got to be honest I thought this was a joke when I first read it, but I also am thankful to see these guys willing to jump in there and fight. I just see Bonnar looking the same way Forrest did against Silva but perhaps he'll make a better go of it. Am I the only one thinking about GSP recently saying he had a few more things he wanted to do at WW before the Silva fight? Not saying this was planned b/c obviously it's a spur of the moment thing, but it does seem like maybe another 205 appearance conditions the fans to an Anderson/Jones fight. Could just be wishful thinking on my part.
Hendo67
9/12/12 10:44:56PM
Why? Why on earth is this fight happening? - I'm not even kidding or trying to rip on Bonnar, but my good god...

So is Ben Henderson going to test the waters at 145 against Cody Mackenzie as well?
prozacnation1978
9/12/12 10:52:08PM
Would rather see a Silva title fight
This fight makes no sense.
This is better than nothing. Cool for Silva to step up
Aether
9/12/12 11:13:49PM
Sorry, is it April? I'm a little confused, I had to check my calendar to make sure this wasn't some kind of prank.

Well, hey. Anderson will have another highlight for his reel, on the bright side.
KingCmb
9/12/12 11:23:45PM
SIGH
meier
9/12/12 11:29:08PM
WOW! Im lovin the idea! Spider and bonnar steppin up to save the card!
ChrisSabal
9/12/12 11:38:06PM
Bubbles
9/12/12 11:46:07PM
my 1st thoughts:

Posted by sparky

Another hand picked 205er for Anderson to destroy and help build his stock with

this was my 2nd thought. I could rip on Anderson for this, but he did step up on short notice so he gets a pass for now...until after fight time
Vero3
9/12/12 11:58:35PM
Anderson Silva is going to beat Bonnar. :p
TeamDEY
9/13/12 12:11:19AM
This is a joke right... RIGHT??? NO UFC. Please dont do this.
Vero3
9/13/12 12:13:29AM
I wish it was a joke.. BUT in dramatic form Ill say... "It is NOT a joke....LOL Yeah it kind of sucks.. lol
jae_1833
9/13/12 12:13:41AM
A bit ridiculous but at least they wont lose another card.....
Vero3
9/13/12 12:16:15AM
Yeah I agree with you.. I think that Nogueira will fight on that card too.
infestructure
9/13/12 12:17:13AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

Would rather see a Silva title fight
This fight makes no sense.
This is better than nothing. Cool for Silva to step up

These were my original sentiments prozac, but then I thought... Anderson only has a handful of fights left on his contract, after which time he may very well retire.
Do we want one of his last fights to be vs Bonnar?

GSP, Jon Jones, Weidman, Belfort 2 or even Munoz seem to make most sense. Though in the long run, it will be just another victory. In five years only the true hardcores will know Silva chose to beat up a past his prime Bonnar instead of fighting the guys who fought their way to the top.
frizzzlecake
9/13/12 12:29:23AM
&^&% Anderson Silva, you can't fight Weidman because he's not a name? but you fight a 8-6 Bonnar who built that awesome record in a different weight class.

This *&%*&ing blows.

Not happy at all if you can't tell. and it sucks because this could be Mr.Body Punch's 2nd loss in a row and could get cut.:(

*&*^%
Samps
9/13/12 12:36:15AM
This will probably be Bonnar's last fight. He'll retire after he gets destroyed, unfortunate, but thanks for everything Bonnar
Adrenaline
9/13/12 12:59:42AM

Posted by SpiderSilva

He has close friends on here maybe they can get him back! If I see his name pop up again I'll send a DM to him

I might be able to round him up, or find some contact info for him

On subject, this fight is giving me a strange feeling, like something strange is going to happen just because it is such a WTF matchup. Oh the minds that would be blown if Bonnar is the guy to defeat Andy.

jlock003
9/13/12 1:12:49AM

Posted by frizzzlecake

Fuck you Anderson Silva, you can't fight Weidman because he's not a name? but you fight a 8-6 Bonnar who built that awesome record in a different weight class.

This fucking blows.

Not happy at all if you can't tell. and it sucks because this could be Mr.Body Punch's 2nd loss in a row and could get cut.:(

FUCK

You're criticizing the guy for saving a card man. I get the frustration over the Weidman thing to an extent, but this clearly has nothing to do with the MW title picture.
Manak
9/13/12 1:48:14AM

Posted by jlock003

Posted by frizzzlecake

Fuck you Anderson Silva, you can't fight Weidman because he's not a name? but you fight a 8-6 Bonnar who built that awesome record in a different weight class.

This fucking blows.

FUCK

You're criticizing the guy for saving a card man. I get the frustration over the Weidman thing to an extent, but this clearly has nothing to do with the MW title picture.

but bonnar does have a name, one that is way bigger than weidman to the avg fan
jjeans
9/13/12 3:24:14AM

Posted by BuffaloDave

Av bet anyone??? I got Silva!!

If Bonnar can step up to Silva

I'll step up to you.

aussiemma
9/13/12 3:53:31AM
this is cray cray ! i would never have thought of this match up for silva if you had given me all week to guess...completely out of left field.

it's so much of a crazy match up that i would give bonnar a chance. His ground game is no joke and takedowns have steadily improved over his career.

That being said anderson is probably going to pull out some crazy move and finish in the 1st rnd.

At this point nobody is in any position to question if silva will even possibly lose because his ufc career is just ridiculous.
aussiemma
9/13/12 3:56:58AM

Posted by Adrenaline

Posted by SpiderSilva

He has close friends on here maybe they can get him back! If I see his name pop up again I'll send a DM to him

I might be able to round him up, or find some contact info for him

On subject, this fight is giving me a strange feeling, like something strange is going to happen just because it is such a WTF matchup. Oh the minds that would be blown if Bonnar is the guy to defeat Andy.

i know this contadicts a little bit of my previous post but it does definately have that feeling, had a similiar feeling when he fought irvin and forrest.
Poor_Franklin
9/13/12 4:07:52AM
1. thank goodness they saved the card
2. maldonado/teixera will be better than most think, but i would have loved to see thiago in there
3. i have never rooted for bonnar, & still won't. but i have never lacked respect for him. he seems to have done the ufc another huge solid. very happy for him.

jjeans
9/13/12 5:17:40AM
As a fan of Bonnar and Silva i'm in a lot of minds about this fight but one things for sure. Fair play.

Silva is risking his reputation against a guy who's only lost by cuts or Decision, and he's doing that on 30 days notice. Not every champion is willing to step up a weight class, save an event, or even fight on 30 days notice with no training camp prior.

Silva is a beast for accepting it. Not just a true champion but a true fighter.

Bonnar though is something else, the most dominant champion in UFC and MMA and he's willing to give it a go, screw long term side effects to head damage. There is no doubts as to why he's the underdog. But he's doing it.

“I’ve spilled pints and pints of blood for you fans, and you know what? It’s been my pleasure.”

Win or lose he'll go down as another guy who's a fucking warrior, not just when he's fighting but he has the anybody anywhere mentality and he's proving that
Bubbles
9/13/12 8:27:10AM

Posted by jjeans

Silva is risking his reputation against a guy who's only lost by cuts or Decision, and he's doing that on 30 days notice. Not every champion is willing to step up a weight class, save an event, or even fight on 30 days notice with no training camp prior.

do you think Silva would have accepted this short notice fight vs someone like Evans or Shogun...or even Teixiera? Or does Bonnar make more sense for him?

I'll give him credit for stepping up to save the card, but not for accepting to fight Bonnar....Bonnar gets mad respect for stepping up to fight Silva
tallica62
9/13/12 8:34:37AM
wtf
tallica62
9/13/12 8:35:34AM
Now that I think about it, at least we'll get to see Silva perform some nifty never been done before ko of some sort....I'm going with literal karate CHOP ko
Shawn91111
9/13/12 8:38:47AM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by jjeans

do you think Silva would have accepted this short notice fight vs someone like Evans or Shogun...or even Teixiera? Or does Bonnar make more sense for him?

I'll give him credit for stepping up to save the card, but not for accepting to fight Bonnar....Bonnar gets mad respect for stepping up to fight Silva

Exactly
SpiderSilva
9/13/12 8:40:19AM

Posted by tallica62

Now that I think about it, at least we'll get to see Silva perform some nifty never been done before ko of some sort....I'm going with literal karate CHOP ko

This is what i don't understand why people don't want to see this. Weidman is tied up in a fight and this has to do with fight in Brazil and giving them a show more than anything. This may be the last time he fights in his home country. Unless he fights GSP in that soccer stadium...........
shaneTpain
9/13/12 8:40:51AM
its such a strange fight that its very intriguing !

everyone knows that Bonnar is losing the fight but I'm tuning in FOR SURE for the same reason that I used to watch Mick Foley wrestling matches.. To see how much punishment this crazy motherfucker is gonna take
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Pages: 1 [2] 3