USA TODAY: Anderson Silva vs. Stephan Bonnar headlines UFC 153

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » USA TODAY: Anderson Silva vs. Stephan Bonnar headlines UFC 153
Next Page »
jay98107
9/12/12 9:30:19PM
With his career winding down, Ultimate Fighting Championship veteran Stephan Bonnar (14-7 MMA, 8-6 UFC) has been begging for a big fight. Now he's got it.

USA TODAY Sports has confirmed with company officials that UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva (32-4, 15-0) is moving up to 205 pounds to meet Bonnar in the main event of UFC 153 event, which takes place Oct. 13 at Rio de Janeiro's HSBC Arena.

link
BuffaloDave
9/12/12 9:33:02PM
Beat me by a minute posting this Jay lol.

As for the fight, guess Bonnar got his big fight he was holding out for.
BeeR
9/12/12 9:37:02PM
I think im going to throw up
kopower
9/12/12 9:41:39PM
Wow. This fight doesn't make much sense to me. Bonnar is gonna get destroyed

Looks like Maldonado and Glover Teixeira is a go as well.
george112
9/12/12 9:41:53PM
Well in most people's eyes it will seem like an easy win for Anderson.

But the more I think about it I feel like Bonnar is going to put up one tough fight.

I hope he pulls off the upset
prophecy033
9/12/12 9:42:01PM
Bonnar is always game but that's the best they could do? I really don't wanna see any more of Stephan's blood

Edit: But I love that these guys stepped up to save the card

Props to Silva and Major Props to Bonnar for taking on a HUGE challenge
sparky
9/12/12 9:42:30PM
Another hand picked 205er for Anderson to destroy and help build his stock with

Props to the UFC for finding a way to save the card
jay98107
9/12/12 9:42:33PM

Posted by BuffaloDave

Beat me by a minute posting this Jay lol.

As for the fight, guess Bonnar got his big fight he was holding out for.

lol, like I said this story was too absurd to not immediately post. I like Bonnar as much as the next guy, but Jesus Christ.
infestructure
9/12/12 9:42:46PM
From Dana White
"This is old-school UFC. A card is in jeopardy, but guys that are world champions and superstars stepped up and jumped in and saved the card. This is why the fans love this sport and why we went on a 12-year run without canceling an event."

Haha that sounds to me like a big FUCK YOU to Jon Jones
prophecy033
9/12/12 9:43:06PM

Posted by george112

Well in most people's eyes it will seem like an easy win for Anderson.

But the more I think about it I feel like Griffin is going to put up one tough fight.

I hope he pulls off the upset

I think you meant Bonnar
cowcatcher
9/12/12 9:46:46PM
It's not a sexy fight at all, but Bonnar is durable and long enough to possibly stay out of harm's way for at least a little while. The late notice Big Nog fight, and Maldonado stepping up to keep Glover on the card, along with Anderson being there make up for the late cancellations to the Brazilian fans. TBH, I don't hate what they've done here, there are either going to be fireworks to go with easy picks, or some crazy upsets. I'm content with what they threw together last minute.
george112
9/12/12 9:47:17PM

thanks proph. I meant Bonnar
prophecy033
9/12/12 9:49:53PM

Posted by george112

thanks proph. I meant Bonnar

I can't tell them apart anymore either
SpiderSilva
9/12/12 9:50:09PM
YEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

SpiderSilva
9/12/12 9:50:59PM

Posted by cowcatcher

It's not a sexy fight at all, but Bonnar is durable and long enough to possibly stay out of harm's way for at least a little while. The late notice Big Nog fight, and Maldonado stepping up to keep Glover on the card, along with Anderson being there make up for the late cancellations to the Brazilian fans. TBH, I don't hate what they've done here, there are either going to be fireworks to go with easy picks, or some crazy upsets. I'm content with what they threw together last minute.

I think its sexy

SpiderSilva
9/12/12 9:52:30PM

Posted by kopower

A tear dropped when I seen this av.....

I seen 40 trolling the underground the other day
cowcatcher
9/12/12 9:53:32PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

Posted by cowcatcher

I think its sexy

Then Bonnar's blood is on your hands too!
FastKnockout
9/12/12 9:56:48PM
I can't take this match-up seriously..
Shawn91111
9/12/12 10:00:51PM
Ariel Helwani ?@arielhelwani

And Thiago Silva vs. Glover T. was discussed seriously but for unknown reasons fell through. Maldonado was the best option available.
SpiderSilva
9/12/12 10:01:00PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by SpiderSilva

Posted by cowcatcher

I think its sexy

This is a way better match up than Weidman.... well for me anyway.
prophecy033
9/12/12 10:02:28PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by SpiderSilva

Posted by cowcatcher

I think its sexy

Better for all of us in the pick department
kopower
9/12/12 10:06:56PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

Posted by kopower

Nice. Maybe one day he'll make an appearance back here. Not sure why he got axed, but some bans have been lifted, so one can hope.
NaturalBornKiller92
9/12/12 10:07:13PM
Better than nothing! I personally can never complain if Andy is a replacement for a main event.
mrsmiley
9/12/12 10:08:34PM
This kind of reminds me of the old Pride miss-matches back in the day.
I don't know it's a head scratcher for sure,and i'd say Bonnar is going to get mowed over badly,but who knows. Maybe this will light a fire under him to really hang in their. He could really prove something in this fight.
Bonnar doesn't have to win this fight to look good. He's just got to stand even with Anderson a while....Easier said than done though.
Budgellism
9/12/12 10:15:31PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by SpiderSilva

Posted by cowcatcher

I think its sexy

I dunno. Personally, I would be been very excited for the Weidman fight and I think he stands a much better chance against Andy than Bonnar does.

I wasn't sure I believed this when I saw Fight Hub post it on Facebook so I came here and sure enough, it's true. Very strange but mad props to both guys for stepping up.
kopower
9/12/12 10:16:33PM
Not excited for the fight, but props to Bonnar and Silva for stepping up. Bonnar is hella tough, and the fight should be fun while it lasts.
infestructure
9/12/12 10:21:35PM
Bonnar has a 2.4 inch reach advantage Anderson is the best fighter on the planet.

I do think/hope Bonnar will put up a fight though.
BuffaloDave
9/12/12 10:23:42PM
So seen multiple people tweet that Bonnar opened up at +5500

So, PG odds +12.5k???

Av bet anyone??? I got Silva!!
BuffaloDave
9/12/12 10:26:27PM

Posted by infestructure

Bonnar has a 2.4 inch reach advantage Anderson is the best fighter on the planet.

I do think/hope Bonnar will put up a fight though.

Plus he has only been finished by cut stoppage, other losses all by decision.

Still don't think he can make it 3rds with Andee
SpiderSilva
9/12/12 10:28:20PM

Posted by kopower

Posted by SpiderSilva

Posted by kopower

Nice. Maybe one day he'll make an appearance back here. Not sure why he got axed, but some bans have been lifted, so one can hope.

He has close friends on here maybe they can get him back! If I see his name pop up again I'll send a DM to him
Pages: [1] 2 3