Any USA soccer fans? Rough road ahead.

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Any USA soccer fans? Rough road ahead.
AchillesHeel
6/3/09 10:48:16AM
USA contra Costa Rica en Estadio Ricardo Saprissa esta noche, 10:00pm ET on ESPN.

This is the fourth and final round of qualifying, where the rubber meets the road, and the United States has never won a World Cup qualifying match at Saprissa, going 0-6-1 while being outscored 13-4. The Ticos are 18-1-2 at Saprissa since 2000, overall.

From Ives Galarcep: "[Estadio Saprissa] is what Thunderdome would have been if the characters in the Mad Max movie played soccer instead of fight to the death. [...]The imposing stands on either side of the field shoot up in a steep angle you don't see at many American stadiums, which coupled with the extremely close proximity to the field, gives players the sense that they are surrounded by walls of screaming fans. If not for the 10-foot high [chain link] fencing surrounding the field, pitch invasions would probably be a regular occurrence."

Possible starting XI for tonight's fight... er... match:

----------------B. Ching----------J. Altidore-------------------

L. Donovan--------------------------------------C. Dempsey

-------------M. Bradley--------------P. Mastroeni-------------

D. Beasley---C. Bocanegra---O. Onyewu---J. Spector

----------------------------T. Howard-----------------------------

Altidore, Dempsey, Bradley and Onyewu are taking yellow cards into the match; Frankie Hejduk, Maurice Edu, and Steve Cherundolo are out with injuries; and 12 of the 24 players on the roster did not practice with the squad last week, due to club obligations.

Current CONCACAF World Cup qualifying standings: W - D - L - GD

United States 2 - 1 - 0 - +5
Costa Rica 2 - 0 - 1 - +1
Honduras 1 - 1 - 1 - +0
Mexico 1 - 0 - 2 - -2
El Salvador 0 - 2 - 1 - -1
Trinidad & Tobago 0 - 2 - 1 - -3

The Top 3 qualify for the World Cup, the 4th-place team plays a qualifier against a South American team.

Team USA's Summer schedule:

Wed. June 3rd vs Costa Rica at Estadio Saprissa [WC Qual]
Sat. 6th vs Honduras in Chicago [WC Qual]
Mon. 15th vs Italy in Pretoria [Confederations Cup]
Thu. 18th vs Brazil in Pretoria [Confederations Cup]
Sun. 21st vs Egypt in Rustenburg [Confederations Cup]

Sat. July 4th vs Grenada in Seattle [Gold Cup]
Wed. 8th vs Honduras in D.C. [Gold Cup]
Sat. 11th vs Haiti in Foxboro [Gold Cup]

Wed. August 12th vs Mexico at Estadio Azteca [WC Qual]

Check your cup and get your mouth piece in, the bell's about to ring.
mkiv9secsupra
6/4/09 9:45:23PM

"USA soccer" and "fans" in the same sentence!!!

im not a US fan but ill be watching ever match i can
Submisshaun
6/14/09 2:18:47PM
I think if we can go into Mexico and beat them on the road, we will have a good shot at winning this round.

Not easy though, considering Mexico has won all 7 home qualifing games so far.

I guess I'm a USA fan, although I could probably only name 2 players on the team (and maybe not get their names right haha). Other teams I follow nationally are Ecuador (won their last two to get back into contention, England (What happened with the Euro Cup? haha), Argentina, Brazil, Spain, Portugal, and Netherlands (oh Van De Sar, I miss you)
-Detroit-
6/18/09 8:38:38PM
Still in the Confederations Cup with the Egypt win over Italy. What a tough draw for us though, first game against defending World Cup champions Italy, then a schooling by Brazil. Next up, a surprisingly good Egypt team. Not enough star power to keep up with the world...
AchillesHeel
6/19/09 9:08:06AM
If we beat Mexico in Azteca this Summer, I'll shave my head and become a monk.

As for the Confed Cup, I wouldn't say our problem is lack of star power, although I agree that we have none, nor is the draw, although I agree that we're the weakest team in our group. We have much more fundamental problems than that: Our backs can't work together, our forwards can't shoot the ball, and our coach can't field a sensible starting XI. And with Damarcus Beasley on the field, our opposition has 12 players.

It's kind of remarkable how many steps backwards this team has taken since 2002. As things stand today, I think we'll qualify for South Africa, then go three-and-out without scoring a single goal in the run of play.
Aaronno9
6/19/09 10:22:33AM
What ever happened to Freddie Adu? I remember back a few years ago he was slated as the next big thing, now he can barely get a game for Monaco. It would of been huge for US soccer if hed lived up to his potential and became the star everybody expected.

Its weird to think hes only 20, feels like hes names been floated about for years.
-Detroit-
6/22/09 3:30:22AM
Haha wow. Everything went our way today. Beat Egypt, Brazil beat Italy, and we got the goal differential to advance in the Confederations Cup.
AchillesHeel
6/22/09 1:08:39PM

Posted by Aaronno9

What ever happened to Freddie Adu? I remember back a few years ago he was slated as the next big thing, now he can barely get a game for Monaco. It would of been huge for US soccer if hed lived up to his potential and became the star everybody expected.

I think MLS should make an effort to buy back any USMNT players who aren't playing regularly in Europe. Sitting on the bench for Monaco is worse than being in the starting XI for Kansas City.

Posted by Aaronno9

Its weird to think hes only 20, feels like hes names been floated about for years.

That's because it has. People were talking about him when he was 14.

Posted by -Detroit-

Haha wow. Everything went our way today. Beat Egypt, Brazil beat Italy, and we got the goal differential to advance in the Confederations Cup.

Yeah, I'm as shocked as anybody. Spain better mind their Ps and Qs on Wednesday. Whatever the heck that means.
AchillesHeel
6/24/09 3:22:30PM
USA 1-0 Spain, at halftime.
AchillesHeel
6/24/09 4:38:03PM

USA - 2. #1-ranked team in the world - 0.
-Detroit-
6/24/09 4:59:11PM
Speechless.