Urijah Faber wants superfights - BJ Penn, Miguel Torres, Kid Yamamoto

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Urijah Faber wants superfights - BJ Penn, Miguel Torres, Kid Yamamoto
BDON911
2/23/09 1:17:22PM
Urijah mentions that he wants to take some superfights with opponents from different weight classes which include B.J. Penn (at 155), Miguel Torres (at 135), and Kid Yamamoto (at 145). Check out his quote:

Urijah quote
wiggum
2/23/09 1:27:01PM
i personally think he loses to all three of them.....faber is a very talented fighter, but i think hes made a name for himself by bringing the fight to fighters... when he faces guys that bring the fight to him, he tends to struggle...and all three of those guys are at theyre best when the bring the fight and pressure theyre opponents.....granted, faber only has two losses, but brown brought it to him and griffin brought it to him.....curran was bringing it hard until he got caught with that jumping knee and follow up guillotine
BDON911
2/23/09 1:30:53PM
I like a fight with Torres the most since it's probably the most realistic at this moment....
Wolfenstein
2/23/09 1:50:27PM
I've alwys felt like Faber was a little overrated. He's a great fighter, but he certainly didn't deserve to be ranked in all of the p4p lists. I think he has his hands full at 145, nevermind the 3 superfights in which he would be the underdog.

Urijah has great hands, wrestling, and probably his best asset--speed! I think he has quite a few weaknesses though. He doesn't have a ton of knockout power, his submission game is a little basic, and he's a very small 145lb'r.

In actuality I don't think Urijah has beaten a top ten FW yet. If you were to go by the Fight Matrix ratings, his highest profile win would be over #18 ranked Jens Pulver. I think he'll win some and lose some against the top FW's like Rafael Assuncao, L.C. Davis, Leonard Gacia, Mike Brown, Wagnney Fabiano, Jose Aldo, Wilson Reis etc. Urijah needs to prove he's the best FW, because right now I'm not convinced he is.

sparky
2/23/09 1:50:54PM
I personally think Faber is getting ahead of himself. He should be focusing on getting his belt back and after he does that maybe start talking about superfights!!
wiggum
2/23/09 2:25:52PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

I've alwys felt like Faber was a little overrated. He's a great fighter, but he certainly didn't deserve to be ranked in all of the p4p lists. I think he has his hands full at 145, nevermind the 3 superfights in which he would be the underdog.

Urijah has great hands, wrestling, and probably his best asset--speed! I think he has quite a few weaknesses though. He doesn't have a ton of knockout power, his submission game is a little basic, and he's a very small 145lb'r.

In actuality I don't think Urijah has beaten a top ten FW yet. If you were to go by the Fight Matrix ratings, his highest profile win would be over #18 ranked Jens Pulver. I think he'll win some and lose some against the top FW's like Rafael Assuncao, L.C. Davis, Leonard Gacia, Mike Brown, Wagnney Fabiano, Jose Aldo, Wilson Reis etc. Urijah needs to prove he's the best FW, because right now I'm not convinced he is.

tried to give ya props, got to spread the love,

but i totally agree....i think he has a pretty padded record from the smaller shows he's been, and now that wec is blowing up he is gonna be put to some real tests.....not to knock pulver, cuz i like him, but to go along with yer point about ko power, he beat the be-jesus out of him, landing several flush shots over and over and still couldnt knock him out and pulvers chin isnt the greatest....i think his only legit win right now is the curran win, who is a natural 135'r.......he needs to focus on walking before he can start running
Loot613
2/23/09 2:39:48PM
It would be great if he could win his title back and then Miguel Torres moves up and challenges him for it AND WINS!!!

Torres in my opinion could hold 3 belts in the WEC 135-145-155
evan9eleven
2/23/09 2:41:42PM
BJ would kill him no doubt in my mind. Torres and Kid would be decent.
Styles
2/23/09 3:10:13PM

Posted by evan9eleven

BJ would kill him no doubt in my mind. Torres and Kid would be decent.

Torres and kid would kill him to. Torres would be the best fight for him if Torres came up to 145.
higdon10
2/23/09 4:14:49PM
Faber should worry about the stacked 145 lb division in the WEC before looking ahead.
butt_whole
2/23/09 4:41:58PM
He should want to fight Kid for being ranked above him
BDON911
2/23/09 4:42:05PM

Posted by Loot613

It would be great if he could win his title back and then Miguel Torres moves up and challenges him for it AND WINS!!!

That would be somethin else....
EvenFlow
2/23/09 5:07:50PM

Posted by BDON911

Posted by Loot613

That would be somethin else....

Hell if they add a flyweight like theyve been saying he can take that one too.
SpiderSilva
2/23/09 7:50:23PM
I STILL think he can't beat Mike Brown the dude threw him around and Faber looked like he didn't know what to do till he can BEAT Mike Brown he shouldn't think super fights
chitownsfinest15
2/24/09 12:50:58AM
I would love to see urijah face BJ, i think that would be the best fight out of the 3 oponents
Pookie
2/24/09 7:17:35AM
I know before the Penn v. Sherk Fight, Penn had both Urijah and Kid in his training camp to prepare for sherk.

Its interesting to me, who in particular he called out.
Deathbringer
2/24/09 12:58:36PM
Three fights I'd LOVE to se
Sam_Rothstein
2/24/09 2:28:24PM
Does he mean he hopes they are all in the UFC videogame and hopes to defeat them with his character in the game? I can't imagine him winning any of these fights in real life
artofdefense
2/25/09 9:47:40AM
I think he could beat Kid, and maybe Torres with the right gameplan. I reserve judgement on the Penn fight until we see what kind of mindset Penn comes back with.